Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2010 AFG / SAFER Budget

Obama proposed 2010 AFG / Safer Budget

AFG - $170 MILLION
    SAFER - $420 MILLION

This is the same Obama who supports the fire service, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for F#%^ING US OVER you freaking Dumb*****. Wasn't their a couple of articles out a while ago about dept. wanting to return SAFER funding?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

25 of them at last check. I know a couple more that were offered after that turned it down too.

Congress sets the budget, remember Bush dropped them both down considerably. $0 to SAFER if I remember correctly. So AFG will go back up, SAFER might go back down. This would be the time to get a hold of your Congressional Reps to help the cause. SAFER is nice but I know a lot of departments that have done right by their people and have enough of them that they're short handling other stuff so equipment and vehicles are more of a need than hiring. I'd like to see the station grant fit in there on a continuing basis also.

Forum Member
    Poland, right next to Russia, Town that is.

Have not been around for a while so here it goes....

Why is it when the last president reduced spending it was a cut? Now with the current president its a "slim"? I want to slim down myself but 70%..... That's not slimming thats cutting/slashing.

No bias in the media.. none at all.
    Always confident, ever vigilant.

Forum Member

I am sorry, but that seems like a lot of money to me.

Forum Member

Default Here is the info from CFSI

On Thursday, May 7th, the White House released the appendix for the Administration's Fiscal Year 2010 budget proposal, detailing requested funding levels for programs and offices in the federal budget. The Administration initially released a blueprint of the $3.6 trillion budget in February, giving a snapshot of the President's spending plan.

The Administration has proposed funding the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) program at double the level it was funded in FY2009, increasing funding to $420 million for this crucial program. The United States Fire Administration (USFA) also receives a modest increase of approximately $600,000. The State Homeland Security Grant Program receives the same level of funding as FY2009 ($950 million) and the Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) receives a $50 million increase.

Unfortunately the Administration proposes funding the popular FIRE grant program at only $170 million - a cut of nearly 70% from Fiscal Year 2009. The program, which received $3.2 billion in requests in Fiscal Year 2008, provides funding for critical equipment, training, and apparatus directly to local fire departments. The program also provides grants for fire prevention and safety programs and firefighter health and safety research.

While the Administration's budget proposal is meant to serve as a guideline for federal spending, Congress will ultimately determine funding levels for these programs. The House and Senate Appropriations Committees have begun work on crafting Fiscal Year 2010 spending bills. CFSI has reached out to members of Congress regarding the budget proposal and will continue to provide updates as the appropriations process moves forward.

The Fiscal Year 2010 Budget Proposal and Appendix can be obtained from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FH Mag/.com Contributor

While this supposedly creates jobs in SAFER it's a temporary fix. Even with the no matching for the 2 or 4 years (haven't seen which for sure) a lot of departments have already mentioned that Day 1 Year 6 is going to be pink slip day since the obligation is gone. Same thing that happened in the COPS program in the 90s. The overall economy isn't going to come back that quickly. If they wanted to make a bigger long-term dent then stretch it to 8-10 years on reduced matching amounts. Pay 30-40% for the whole period of time or something like that. Aloow for a better chance of recovery.

Of course side note, need to have more manufacturing here. Common sense says shipping raw materials overseas and then buying the cheaply made finished product back at a huge markup isn't a good idea. Have to start making it more expensive to do business overseas to get the companies back. But I digress...

MembersZone Subscriber

cross your fingers that the 2 are turned around and mistake hasn't been caught yet.
    AFG $420 MILLION
    SAFER - $170 MILLION

Forum Member

brian,
    I agree with your proposals.

Why don't you run for office. But wait you make sense, Plus we need you here!

I know we recieved SAFER for 1 firefighter in 2006. When we first applied I honestly thought by the end of the 5 year period we would been able to hire 1 or 2 more firefighters to give us 24 hour coverage. Everything was going OK. Not great but we had modest growth in our community. Now we have zero growth and it is getting hard to come up with the match now. I keep hoping the economy will turn around. I hope we will be able to keep our fulltime firefighter after the 6th year.

Glenn

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think obama really knows much about the AFG. From looking at several of his other programs it seems like he's only looking creating jobs right off and doesn't see that with AFG fire dept's purchase tons of equipment and fire trucks that also keeps poeple working and contributes to the over all econmy. I'll terrible disappointment. But as said above congress has the final say and most congress me love AFG. They get to claim credit for bringing money to their states.

Forum Member

OK, I just read the news and felt like I was gut shot. Yes the time has come to hit on our congressman, but my congressmen are about to block my eaddress. Of course I also feel like the horse who keeps getting sugar and the first time they come to me without it, I bite their hand. Still, me thinks we are all going to get a reality check about this president. Its going to get harder for the administration to justify his actions and the media tired of whoring out for him. Still I am glad I got a chunk of my 'wants' in this year, but was still desperate for 2010 to add further or adjust for any of the DJ's. Safer is valuable, but will this influx of cash produce the job numbers he's hoping to show the nation or is there another demographic at work here. Remember, yes the dems want to increase the size and need for big government, but what their real goal is, is to increase the size of the democratic party.
    I would like to know how the reviewers instructions for the 2010 period will differ from this year.
    This just made my day,,,,, not!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bukstpsear View Post
    Have not been around for a while so here it goes....

Why is it when the last president reduced spending it was a cut? Now with the current president its a "slim"? I want to slim down myself but 70%..... That's not slimming thats cutting/slashing.

No bias in the media.. none at all.
    There isn't media bias now, but media 'activism'. This has gotten so far past bias. When the media was hammering all the attention for days on the AIG 167 million dollar bonuses (which is nothing), it was just a smoke and mirrors trick from the real story which hardly got mentioned. The printing of 1.2 trillion dollars. Economists responses to this are not being reported. They say that if it doesn't work at best 20% inflation rate at worst total collapse. If you handed out a trillion dollars a second, it would take you 32,000 years to hand it all out.
    I know this belongs in another section of the forums, but the notification of AFG cuts just %#*^@& me off.

Forum Member

Just another way to screw the volunteer departments. Let's cut funding for equipment and apparatus, which are desperately needed by all, but increase funding for staffing, which really only helps the career departments.

Oh well, we're used to it...

Forum Member

I guess Obama is done with "small town" USA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool A Call To Arms!!!!!

The proposed cuts by Obama are unacceptable. He releases billions in stimulus funds which we all know are not being accounted for properly, yet we as the recipient of AFG funding must keep detailed records of every penny we spend. The AFG program is a proven success across the country and now they want to cut money to a program that actually works. I often look at grants.gov and am sickened by the money out there for ridiculous research and activities in which most of the money goes to total waste. I have done my part by writing to my Congressman and state officials. We must overwhelm our elected officials with support of the AFG just as we did last year and the years before that. We must remind them who helped them get into office and if they want to stay there, they need to show the fire service some support. We not only need to ask for the funding to be reinstated to what it was last year, but an increase from what it was. As reported in the firehouse article over 3 billion dollars were requested from departments last year; therefore, only approximately 1/6 of total request in funds were fulfilled.

Good luck to everyone with your 2009 AFG requests and hopefully there will be funding left for us all to apply for in 2010.

Forum Member

Brian is right on. Makes no sense to increase funding to SAFER when many departments continue to turn down their award in this economy. But cut AFG funding?. This could shut down some small volunteer departments that already save the taxpayers millions in labor costs. When the volunteer departments are gone, then what?. Start a paid department you can't pay for?.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets see.

FG to small and rural FD (substantially more conservative the leftist (Red states).
    Safer substantially to city (UNION) FD (Blue states).

What's hard to understand about payback?

MembersZone Subscriber

Why? when the feds finally have a program that works they find new ways
    to screw it up. I bet the police dept.s are getting there lions share of the
    State Homeland security grant and the Urban Area Security Initiative. We
    need to let our legislatures know this is poor judgement on Obamas part and
    this needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Alot fire depts. could use
    the AFG funds for much needed equipment.
    Last edited by burmstr; 05-08-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Forum Member

Maybe they figured out that every town doesnt need a towerladder or a
    tanker in a town with hydrants every 700ft.
    I feel sorry for the towns in real need of equiptment but some of the stuff I
    seen purchased with grant money is unbeliveable.
    The review process needs to be revamped so the needy gets what they
    need not what a computer says they need.

Thread Information