Exclamation Need some help fast.

Hey. I posted this yesterday, but it never appeared on the board. Anyways, I am new here. Name is Tiffany, Im 21 years old, and ready to persue my life long dream of becoming a volunteer firefighter. I have just one small problem lol. I have no idea where to start. I know I have to go to the fire station, fill out an app., have an interveiw...then what? Do I have to go to Fire School? Do I have to pay for fire school or will my station cover it for me? When can I start going out on calls? Basically what I am asking is what is the general procedure of becoming a volunteer?

Forum Member

Ok, this is what you do, go down and ask the fire dept. Just about every state has different requirements and the fire depts know there area best..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    Ok, this is what you do, go down and ask the fire dept. Just about every state has different requirements and the fire depts know there area best..
    There is your answer to every single question.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

Forum Member

Like owenscott said, go to your local VFD and they will tell you what, where and when you have to do. I have a lot of family in Jersey who are volunteers, their depts put them through state certified fire training which I believe is the norm there. Good luck and welcome to the fire service.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Like mentioned before, every state and every department is different. Usually you will have to take some pre-requisite classes before being allowed to go on calls. It's good to see more females getting interested in the fire service! Good luck.

Forum Member

I would personally say go for it.

Just make sure that you have ample time to care for your child, and a solid, structured environment for them. A lot of your time, especially when you join, will be learning, doing drills, conducting tests, and doing the low-point work. As you progress you'll notice that you will be running out on calls, so make sure someone is home to take care of the child for awhile. Sometimes calls can be in excess of an hour (especially if EMS is integrated into your fire department). A working structure fire will generally take much longer.

I love being a volunteer. I believe everyone should be obligated to do SOMETHING to give back to the community. This is the probably the most prestigious ways to do so, and you'll be entering into a second family.

I joined my department almost a year ago. Right when I was entering I found out that I was an expectant father, so things were going to get busy. But I am still holding true to the department. All you need is good time management and supportive people surrounding you.

Also, take note that being a woman in the fire department isn't easy. From what I have observed you'll get a little more teased, but you can easily overcome that with some willpower and proving to others that you mean business. Don't complain, just do.

Good luck

Thread Information