Thread: AFG Help

Forum Member

Default AFG Help

I have been rather successful with my own AFG grants and had a neighboring dept. ask a few questions on help for there grant and I didn't know the answer so I came to the "house of knowledge". They are a township department and covers a township that surrounds a city of 18,000 that has a career dept. They have a smaller call volume 30-40 calls a year. But they have a red, green and blue shift like the career dept. has and when the career dept calls back a shift they are included in this. They then are paid from that city instead of there township. So my question is do they count this in there call volume? I'm assuming yes, and obviously they will state this info in there narrative as well. They also train monthly with the career dept if that helps any. Let me know what you think and what else a person might add. Thanks in advance!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If they are paid directly on the callback then once the pay shifts to the city then they are no longer firefighters for the township until released so any calls they perform in the city are of no consequence to the township FD they are only city calls since they are at that point city FFs handling calls in the city.

Now if the city pays the township a rental fee then that's just mutual aid, but any calls made during a cover assignment are calls for the department being covered, not for the one doing the covering. It's always the location of the call that matters on how to count it. Not in their area, can only count them as mutual aid given and nothing else. Ironic twist is that if the cover company of township volunteers is in the city and being paid by the city, then dispatched to a call in the township then the township still calls it one of their own with mutual aid received even though the FFs are their own to begin with.

Picture it, a place where firefighters from a parallel world that look similar to your own show up at your call wearing different clothes....you're entering....the Mutual Aid zone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    If they are paid directly on the callback then once the pay shifts to the city then they are no longer firefighters for the township until released so any calls they perform in the city are of no consequence to the township FD they are only city calls since they are at that point city FFs handling calls in the city.

Now if the city pays the township a rental fee then that's just mutual aid, but any calls made during a cover assignment are calls for the department being covered, not for the one doing the covering. It's always the location of the call that matters on how to count it. Not in their area, can only count them as mutual aid given and nothing else. Ironic twist is that if the cover company of township volunteers is in the city and being paid by the city, then dispatched to a call in the township then the township still calls it one of their own with mutual aid received even though the FFs are their own to begin with.

Picture it, a place where firefighters from a parallel world that look similar to your own show up at your call wearing different clothes....you're entering....the Mutual Aid zone.
    Gotta agree with that assesment also bc79er.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

entering....the Mutual Aid zone,... Your cracking me up Brian or maybe because of the late night narratives, its the other way around? LOL

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yeah, late nights and little sleep tend to make me cuckoo for cocoa puffs sometimes. Of course that's probably another age-check reference where those in here under 25 don't know WTH us old folks are talking about...

Thread Information