MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Numbering The Bed On Our Ladder

We have a Pierce 105í aerial, I would like to place numbers on the bed section so that the operator knows how far out he has the ladder extended out without having to second guess. Can anyone give me some Idea how this is done. I donít know if I measure from the tip to the turn table and then to the ground, or from the tip to the ground Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're just talking extension (and not elevation) you only need to measure from one end of the ladder to the other. There is no reason to measure from the turntable to the ground.

Usually with the lower numbers placed at the turntable end for ease of reading.

Elevation is problematical because the variables of angle and extension affect the tip height.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWert View Post
    If you're just talking extension (and not elevation) you only need to measure from one end of the ladder to the other. There is no reason to measure from the turntable to the ground.

Usually with the lower numbers placed at the turntable end for ease of reading.

Elevation is problematical because the variables of angle and extension affect the tip height.
    We have a 1995 Spartan Nova Quintech now Pierce and it has the numbers on the ladder with a mirror on the outside bed and when the ladder is extended they show the operator how far it is being extended.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Thanks for the help

MembersZone Subscriber

Pierce and a few other manufacturers offer this as an option and as such they have a fairly easy kit available to field install the vinyl applique numbering. I recommend saving yourself a lot of work and calling your local Pierce dealer and asking first. If anything, I think I have seen a PDF installation guide that spells out what numbers go at what measurements along the ladder rails.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

STOCK on a Smeal. At least on the Platforms. Just number the Bed section as the ladder extends the number will correlate to the length of Extension.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Standard on E-ONE as well.

E-ONE offers an optional aerial information system that communicates tip from center of turntable, height of tip from the ground, changes in tip load when flowing water vs dry, water flow, and a long list of other data.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Just being a smart *****

OMG! I hate to take all of the drama out of it, our standard system tells you length extended,
    elevation and load at the tip. It also gives you extension length remaining with that load and elevation. This info is on the same screen that shows the weight sitting on each outrigger and any ice loading. Comes standard on all Raptor and T-Rex Models.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default T-Rex Looked Good

Red Baron,

Looked at your T-Rex in Indy as it was sitting right next to our booth. Good looking machine. It and the Bronto have a lot of simularities and more advanced features than the US marketed straight sticks and platforms.

It is suprising to me that the aerial that was being discussed in the thread did not have the aerial length markings as standard.

Be careful out there and have a great day!

Forum Member

2591345- There is a procedure you need to follow in order to make sure it is accurate. PM me and I will send you the details.

Forum Member

What difference does it make? If the ladder doesn't reach your objective it doesn't matter how far it is out, and I am sure there aren't many people that reference the load chart while on calls!

Forum Member

^^^^ I have to agree.

A couple years ago a couple FAE's asked about putting a digital readout by the controls. I said it can be done, but it won't do you any good. They asked why, and I told them.

If you can't reach it, your too far away. If you can reach it, then your fine. But any change in elevation, will shorten your true distance from level.

Subject was dropped.

FM1

Thread Information