Thread: Vehicle Age

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vehicle Age

Out of complete curiosity, under vehicle aquisition the questions asked are what is the age of your newest vehicle in the class you are requesting and what is the oldest. Has anyone ever had success with funding if your newest vehicle is relatively new and your oldest is very old? When is it worth it to put in an application for a vehicle? I am faced with my newest vehicle younger than 5 years and my oldest over 25. I am done with my op's application and was contemplating throwing in a vehicle app. I don't think its worth my while given the above.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got $256,000 for a new engine last year. Our newest vehicle was a 2004 (rescue) the new engine replaced a 1970 mack (38 years old). Our average fleet age was 23years. As part of our narrative we explained that the 1973 rescue truck that we replaced in 2004 was in worse condition than the 1970 engine that we were trying to replace in the 2008 grant, also that the replacement of the rescue had made it financially impossibe to replace the 38 year old engine with out the grant.

You'll never know if you don't try!

Forum Member

I am trying to replace our newest vehicle. It is a '93 with the plan that if I did get an award to replace it, would make application to replace either an '85 pumper or '72 tanker. The idea was with one year left in the AFG program, if I didn't get it awarded would go after one of the above anyway. Then yesterday I find out that 2010 AFG is going to be cut to only 170 million. My half cocked plan just bit me in the ***. Really #%*@ed at myself.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Remember the question is newest vehicle in the same class, not newest vehicle overall. If you only have 1 of the type you're trying to replace then its age goes in both spots.

So having a 6 year old pumper and 30 year old tanker makes those answers in those questions newest = 14+ and oldest = 30. Or 25+, whatever is in the dropdowns. It's 2am and I'm still writing narratives since I'm wide awake, so I should get a little slack.

Forum Member

My department is trying to replace our 20 year old tanker (no pump) with a 1000gpm pumper tanker. Our current pumper is only 8 years old. Was told that since it is bigger then 750gpm, I have to request a pumper, not a tanker with the grant. Am I supposed to put 8 years for the oldest and newest in the class since I'm requesting a pumper, or can I use the age of our tankers (15-20) since that is what I am replacing and what this truck is mostly going to be used for. Afraid that the computer will throw out the app if I use the pumper age.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mtup28 View Post
    My department is trying to replace our 20 year old tanker (no pump) with a 1000gpm pumper tanker. Our current pumper is only 8 years old. Was told that since it is bigger then 750gpm, I have to request a pumper, not a tanker with the grant. Am I supposed to put 8 years for the oldest and newest in the class since I'm requesting a pumper, or can I use the age of our tankers (15-20) since that is what I am replacing and what this truck is mostly going to be used for. Afraid that the computer will throw out the app if I use the pumper age.
    Have to use the pumper age as the new since if you break the 750gpm mark that's what you're asking for. And if that's the lone pumper that is also the oldest, and you will get tossed quick. Keep it at 750gpm or lower and stay in the tanker zone.

Thread Information