Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISI scba

Forum Member

Default ISI scba

dose anyone on here use ISI airpacks whats your opions on them GOOD and BAD

Forum Member

We performed a two week evaluation with six SCBAs, and the ISI finished last. PM if you want further info.

Forum Member

We used to have Interspiro Magnums. The masks suck and the harness at the upper attachment to the frame is weak (we had three break there).

We have been very happy with our new MSAs.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the ISI Z seven's the new CBRN 2008 models. They are FANTASIC don't buy anything else. We tested Drager, Scott, and MSA and they didn't compare to the ISI in ease of use and comfortablity. Every dept in my area they tries them 0n loves them and several are switching to ISI as they replace older SCBA's of other models. Yes there not the popular name brand but they are the best.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was my experience that the ISI viking airpacks had a great design but a cheap build. If your department does any actual structure firefighting they will not last! We switched to MSA Firehawk and have had great reliability, with almost zero down time on any of our packs.

I'd rate the ISI as marginally better than a MSA filter mask.See any of the high run # Fire companies using them? Didn't think so.

Forum Member

Default Go with the ISI

We used ISI for ten years before we got a grant for airpacks and were basically forced by our chief to go with Draeger because one of our neighboring depts had them. He stated that it would be good for "interoperability" because we do a lot of mutual aid with them. The thing that makes no sense is that with the universal connector it doesn't matter what make you have, if they both have the connector (obviously newer models) it shouldn't matter.

The ISI were so easy to maintain. I think there were a total of 5 different o-rings in the entire pack, including the Viking mask with the air switch. These things hardly ever broke down, IMO they were bulletproof. I will admit I don't know what the new generation of ISI are like, maintenance wise, but the last generation were awesome.

And then the Draegers came...

What a nightmare. I don't know the exact count off the top of my head but there has to be 20 DIFFERENT o-rings in these things. We have constant breakdowns from blown o-rings, usually the bottle connector fitting, and if you want to repair them yourself you have to buy all their overpriced tools and parts to repair them. 1/3 of our cylinders leak at the siteglass gauge and you need their tools to fix them, never did we have leaks in the ISI cylinders, not one...ever.

I don't have any issues with the comfort of the pack, they're fine. But if you go with Draeger, we have the PS-100 Air Boss, be prepared to increase your maintenance budget. You WILL need to.

Banned

We evaluated all the air packs about 5 years ago and picked the ISI. We didn't fall into the name trap. That is Scott, MSA, etc. The ISI were easy to use, maintain, and had the best features. The mask also had the best field of vision. One other feature that is really great is the switch on the mask that allows you to go from ambient air to bottled air. You can actually save some air by using this. You can be all packed up and ready to go without being on air, all it takes is a little push down and away you go. Best pack on the market and you don't pay for the big name.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    We evaluated all the air packs about 5 years ago and picked the ISI. We didn't fall into the name trap. That is Scott, MSA, etc. The ISI were easy to use, maintain, and had the best features. The mask also had the best field of vision. One other feature that is really great is the switch on the mask that allows you to go from ambient air to bottled air. You can actually save some air by using this. You can be all packed up and ready to go without being on air, all it takes is a little push down and away you go. Best pack on the market and you don't pay for the big name.

I have no knowlege of ISI packs but is it possible to accidentally push that button in a fire and start breathing smoke? or go down and have that pushed and not be able to reach it? It seems like a very strange feature, its not really that hard to just put your mask on and just clip your air connector in when your ready to go.

Yeah, I don't like any unnecessary complexity in a device with one purpose: deliver purified air to my lungs.

I like Scott 4.5s myself. Really simple.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    I have no knowlege of ISI packs but is it possible to accidentally push that button in a fire and start breathing smoke? or go down and have that pushed and not be able to reach it? It seems like a very strange feature, its not really that hard to just put your mask on and just clip your air connector in when your ready to go.
    Nope, it is right on the face piece. You push it down to go on air. The release is on either side and both must be pushed in at the same time to go off of air.

I found this to be the easiest to use, I don't have to line up the air connector to get it to work.

It's a tough job.Line the red dot between your eyes(like a gun sight) and twist left. Rocket science,it ain't. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    It's a tough job.Line the red dot between your eyes(like a gun sight) and twist left. Rocket science,it ain't. T.C.
    To some people here.. anything requiring the use of three or more brain cells is rocket science!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by engineeremtp View Post

And then the Draegers came...

What a nightmare. I don't know the exact count off the top of my head but there has to be 20 DIFFERENT o-rings in these things. We have constant breakdowns from blown o-rings, usually the bottle connector fitting, and if you want to repair them yourself you have to buy all their overpriced tools and parts to repair them. 1/3 of our cylinders leak at the siteglass gauge and you need their tools to fix them, never did we have leaks in the ISI cylinders, not one...ever.

I don't have any issues with the comfort of the pack, they're fine. But if you go with Draeger, we have the PS-100 Air Boss, be prepared to increase your maintenance budget. You WILL need to.
    Wow. We have Draegers, the PS100 Air Boss, and have had NO problems whatsoever.

Banned

Didn't say it was tough, just that there is an easier better way.

You keep tellin' me about this better way but I don't see any of the cities that do a lot of fires using ISI and an air switch. Apparently these cities have found a product that works reliably over a long periods that might take ten seconds of manual dexterity. Personally,I doubt you'd know a better way if it bitch slapped you. That observation is only based on your musings on this and other forums. By chance what criteria did you use on your field trials to come to this conclusion? Was there any FIRE involved? T.C.

Banned

You keep tellin' me about this better way but I don't see any of the cities that do a lot of fires using ISI and an air switch. Apparently these cities have found a product that works reliably over a long periods that might take ten seconds of manual dexterity. Personally,I doubt you'd know a better way if it bitch slapped you. That observation is only based on your musings on this and other forums. By chance what criteria did you use on your field trials to come to this conclusion? Was there any FIRE involved? T.C.
    Scott and MSA have name recognition, so you pay for the name. The cities bought them when they first cam out. So now to maintain compatibility they still buy Scott. Sort of like how NYC buys all Seagrave trucks. However, having to plug in the air intake on your Scott with a plug and twist action presents the issue of foreign matter in the connection. What happens when a piece of dirt gets into the opening? I was working an exterior position one time where the smoke would come and go. Using my little switch I was able to get 2 hours out of a bottle of air, nice part I was on air in less than a second.

Bottom line is feel the ISI is a superior product at the same cost, because I don't have to pay for the name. The ISI rep came right out and stated it is a waste of time to try to sell anything but Scott in NYC and the surrounding area. And since the Scott dealers know that They charge more.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 05-26-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Scott and MSA have name recognition, so you pay for the name. The cities bought them when they first cam out. So now to maintain compatibility they still buy Scott. Sort of like how NYC buys all Seagrave trucks. However, having to plug in the air intake on your Scott with a plug and twist action presents the issue of foreign matter in the connection. What happens when a piece of dirt gets into the opening? I was working an exterior position one time where the smoke would come and go. Using my little switch I was able to get 2 hours out of a bottle of air, nice part I was on air in less than a second.

Bottom line is feel the ISI is a superior product at the same cost, because I don't have to pay for the name. The ISI rep came right out and stated it is a waste of time to try to sell anything but Scott in NYC and the surrounding area. And since the Scott dealers know that They charge more.
    Scott and MSA develop new airpacks every 10 years or so that are, for the most part compatible with previous Scott or MSA units.

Companies like ISI, Survivair, Interspiro and such all seem to bring out new models every year... why? Is it because thier "latest and greatest " thing didn't pan out in the real world of firefighting?

My FD uses Scott AP50 4500 PSI. We had a "fling" with North airpacks after a fire in a chemical plant in 1989 contaminated the Scott 2A units and turnout gear we had at the time. North was "low bid" and it showed. It was the most "user unfriendly" design that required constant replacement of O-rings just changing bottles at a fire! After another chemical plant fire, we went to the Scott 4.5 units and had those for 15 years and upgraded to the AP50 4.5's in 2002.

The Massachusetts Fire Academy's airpacks are Scott 4.5's. The packs get used almost every day in the recruit class as well as in regional programs. They get used and abused hard, yet still work as designed.

When it comes to personal safety and SCBA... I'll stick with Scott. Some may think you "pay for the name"... in reality, you pay for their design, experience and their ability to take a beating and still work as designed with little or no downtime.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

And how about tha lil' belt clip to keep the "snot" out?

Scott and MSA develop new airpacks every 10 years or so that are, for the most part compatible with previous Scott or MSA units.

Companies like ISI, Survivair, Interspiro and such all seem to bring out new models every year... why? Is it because thier "latest and greatest " thing didn't pan out in the real world of firefighting?
    uh, ya, that NXG2 fad was definitely compatible....with nothing.

We went through 3 versions of Survivairs, all were compatible. And if I could, I would switch back to Survivairs from Scotts any second. The "Scott" reliability has not been found in my Department.

And ScareCrow....FDNY does not buy ONLY Seagrave trucks. They just keep going back to Seagrave for the quality of their product.

Try as many airpacks as you can. Don't buy based on a name. Buy what YOUR department feels is best based on their trials. (and yes, sometimes we lose that battle)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information