Forum Member

Exclamation include the 2010 cut into 2009 narrative?

Something occured to me when I found out about Obama cut the 2010 AFG program year 380 million dollars. Would it be worthwhile in your 2009 narrative, to mention the proposed cuts for the AFG 2010? Hey, create the sense of urgency to fund your regional, vehicle or other equipment requests this year as to the lack of funds being available next year. Think the reviewers could be presuaded by that possibility?

Forum Member

Considering it's been cut worse, not likely.

MembersZone Subscriber

Almost every year the AFG has been recommended for cuts or cut, by the time the funding level is approved it will be different +/- what is currently proposed, I would not mention it in the grant .

Forum Member

This kind of budget wrangling is the reason the Congressional Letters of Support are so important.
    I've heard that Letters or Support for your application from your Congressmen and/or Senators don't get you any points on the application eval, but it does remind your Representatives of how important this program is.

My request to my Senators and House Representative for their letter of support this year also included a plea to not accept the President's proposed AFG cuts.

and who knows... maybe when it comes down to two equally scored applications, and they only have enough money to fund one of them... and one of them has Letters of Support from Senators and Congressmen.. maybe, just maybe it will help ....

Forum Member

We were told to try and think of what might be an important aspect to 'sway' that one reviewer. I'm used to begging now and I see our chances for funding cut by 60 percent. I'm not trying to reach out to the reviewers, just relaying that this year will have a better chance than next year.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Whole point of the narrative is to reach out to the reviewers, and since AFG doesn't need to have any funding to exist by current law the wrangling over the amount has always been there and always restored. The gist of the message coming across to me with that sentiment is "fund me now because they'll have no money next year" doesn't speak to the need for the project in the first place, or why it can't be afforded locally. All that says is our chances aren't as good in the program next year which really doesn't explain current need and affordability. Next year in any grant program has nothing to do with this year's application in the scope of decision making.

Forum Member

Facts and Logic. Two of my favorite things. Thanks for the guidance Brian.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

We're like peas in a pod that way, which is the reason neither one of us have any reason to be in politics. End up in straightjackets....

Thread Information