Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CPAT / StepMill

Forum Member

Default CPAT / StepMill

First off my first of two timed practices for my CPAT is next Friday, May 22, the next May 29 and finally the actual test June 24. I'd like to pass on the first practice and not have to worry about going out of my way one or two additional times. For the past few months I have been running 1-3 miles about 3-4 days a week depending on how much time I have, which sometimes is a lot or not much being a full time college student, working part time, and acquiring my EMT-B license. In addition to running I have also purchased a 50lb vest with an additional 25lb to replicate the stair climb and I climb my deck stairs up and down(15 steps) at the rate of 1 step a second(60/minute) which I use a metronome on my iPhone to stay on pace just to be sure for about 10 minutes or so at a time.

On to my question, I got a 7 day free pass from a local park district athletic center and took my vest out so I could get accustomed to the stepmill and know what to expect. This was my first time to ever use this type of machine and overall it wasn't too bad considering I have a sinus infection right now and it's a bit hard to breath, but setting the steps to 60/min(level 6) it felt extremely fast compared to what I've been doing at home and I barely made it and felt like either the extra weight of the vest was causing the steps to speed up or the machine was faulty since while the machine was turned off and while stepping on it without additional weight it crept down while I was trying to figure out how to set it and I had to constantly step up. Should I expect the same on the actual test?

Watching the official CPAT video I notice they say "going to level 4 for three minutes" would this strictly be a difference between brand/model for levels or is the level set down to compensate for the additional weight(wearing the full vest I'm at 270lbs)? This will be my first attempt at the CPAT and I'm trying to get an idea for what to expect and with 6 more days at the gym on the stairs between now and next Friday I'm looking for input on how to spend my time training.

This is probably longer than it needs to be but any help is appreciated.

Forum Member

Whatever the level, you will be doing about one step per second. That's the test. Practice the next six days and you'll do fine.

t1tan19- Back in 2006, I took and passed the CPAT with no practice and had a touch of the flu.

Keep practicing, but dont kill yourself so you get hurt. Remember, rest a day in the middle to let your body recover.

Hope that helps....Bou

Forum Member

It's not very difficult, and it sounds like you have been preparing yourself. I wouldn't worry about it, but make sure you're rested going into it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far, after a few days of antibiotics I feel I can breath much better so I got back on the stepmill yesterday set at 60 steps a minute with just the 50lb vest on and made it just fine, so taking a breaking today and going to get back on tomorrow and so on, the full 75lb shouldn't be a problem.

Can't wait to get it over with so I can start applying to more places.

Forum Member

Went back to the gym today on my lunch break during my lifeguard cert class(summer job) and made it no problem with the full weight. I'll head up again a few more times before Friday with some hockey on Wednesday so I feel I'm well prepared.

This is an exciting week for me since Monday is my EMT final(flew through the practical portion the last class) so i can take my state test in a few weeks and then I can't wait to come home Friday having passed the CPAT and turn in some apps and study up for written tests.

Anyways thanks for the help guys!

Forum Member

I did cpat stair step a week ago. I got on the stairs and was OK this is the part i was worried about. I was just getting a little spaghetti legs when he said here comes the worst 10 seconds of your life. BAM ....It was over. Wasn't near as big a deal as i thought.

I am not in great shape but i just got out of minimum standards (in florida we pay our own way then try to find a job) where we had a 6 story high tower . We did that quite a few times with bunker gear, air pack and a high rise pack. May times we just walked it in workout clothes only or workout clothes with an air pack.

This little cpat thing was not ANYWHERE near that at all. (i do understand i had the benefit of being able to work out with the tower for 3 months)

Forum Member

Passed it today, so looks like I'm all set to start turning in some applications once I finish my state test June 13.

Thanks again for the comments.

Thread Information