Default USFS GS-0462-03 Application

Hey,

I just sent in the application for Forestry Aid (Fire), GS-0462-03. Looking at the other recent topics in this forum I assume its to late to get hired in southern California is that correct?

Areas I applied for
    SAN FERNANDO, CA
    SANTA CLARITA, CA
    SAUGUS, CA

That would be Bear Divide and Texas Canyons?

What do you recommend to get hired on a hand crew or engine for these stations? I'm more interested in working on a type 3 engine crew but will that require experience?
    Last edited by outbreakm; 05-15-2009 at 04:53 AM.

Forum Member

Its pretty late to be applying for the Feds, most of the forests around here have pulled their hiring lists weeks ago (Angeles, Los Padres, Cleveland). Its going to be hard to get on as a GS-03 without experience (TRUST ME!). Also, I believe this is a Forestry Technician/Hotshot application on AVUE (GS-04 I think).

San Fernando is Texas Canyon and Saugus is Bear Divide I believe. I would suggest (because I am doing the same thing), go show your face, or do PT with an engine crew or something. You would be hard-pressed to jump right onto the shots right now, as fire season starts in a mere 2 weeks. I know the Angeles has a number of Type 2 crews around, I would look into those first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    Its pretty late to be applying for the Feds, most of the forests around here have pulled their hiring lists weeks ago (Angeles, Los Padres, Cleveland). Its going to be hard to get on as a GS-03 without experience (TRUST ME!). Also, I believe this is a Forestry Technician/Hotshot application on AVUE (GS-04 I think).

San Fernando is Texas Canyon and Saugus is Bear Divide I believe. I would suggest (because I am doing the same thing), go show your face, or do PT with an engine crew or something. You would be hard-pressed to jump right onto the shots right now, as fire season starts in a mere 2 weeks. I know the Angeles has a number of Type 2 crews around, I would look into those first.
    I understand itís pretty much impossible to get hired for this season but I'm already thinking ahead to next. When do the stations usually start looking at potential new members? January? Do I just call the station now and express my interest in working on a engine crew and ask to stop by and meet face to face?

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post

Do I call first and express my interest in joining a hand crew/engine and ask to stop by or do I just show up one day and do it that way? When do they typically start looking at potential new members November/December?

Thread Information