Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default contracting info needed

Ok I have some questions for some of you guys that have been there.
    I have all the certs required and then some and also have 18 yrs experiance in the fireservice the last 10 of which are with a very busy large city. I am still employed and considering taking a leave of absense and trying this. The money sounds nice but i need to get away from things here for a while.....so while serving my country, making good money, ill be gone for a year.

Do you guys that have done it think its a good idea or do most do it because they are having trouble getting good jobs in the states?

Is the pay as good as they say?

and would you do it again?

FYI Im not a young new kid trying to make a name for themselves like i said i work for a FD now that is very busy and would be coming back to that job, I love it I just need something different for a while

thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by porterco3 View Post
    Ok I have some questions for some of you guys that have been there.
    I have all the certs required and then some and also have 18 yrs experiance in the fireservice the last 10 of which are with a very busy large city. I am still employed and considering taking a leave of absense and trying this. The money sounds nice but i need to get away from things here for a while.....so while serving my country, making good money, ill be gone for a year.

Do you guys that have done it think its a good idea or do most do it because they are having trouble getting good jobs in the states?

Is the pay as good as they say?

and would you do it again?

FYI Im not a young new kid trying to make a name for themselves like i said i work for a FD now that is very busy and would be coming back to that job, I love it I just need something different for a while

thanks
    If you can get the leave of absence...DO IT!!! Just be prepared for a very different environment than FDs back home. If not, stay put..jobs are getting harder and harder to find right now in the States.
    Although I was unable to return with WSI I don't regret it a bit. In fact if given the chance I would be there now, especially having been through it and knowing what to expect. If money is a motivator than look towards Iraq or Afghanistan, most other contracts do not pay as well, but there are the attendant risks of being in a war zone.

Good luck

Cogs

Forum Member

cogs,
    thankyou for the quick reply. wackenhut is who i am talking to now is that also know as WSI. I still need to go through the channels at work to get the leave but others have done it in the past. As far as my job its not an issue it would be there when i got back its a large city union dept. And of corse money is a factor if im going to leave my current job for a year it has to be financially worth it. From what ive been reading theres not many actual fires are you strictly for the base or do you go off base in the event of a fire

Forum Member

cogs,
    thankyou for the quick reply. wackenhut is who i am talking to now is that also know as WSI. I still need to go through the channels at work to get the leave but others have done it in the past. As far as my job its not an issue it would be there when i got back its a large city union dept. And of corse money is a factor if im going to leave my current job for a year it has to be financially worth it. From what ive been reading theres not many actual fires are you strictly for the base or do you go off base in the event of a fire
    Your welcome.

Unless they've changed the rules of the game since I was there, it's on base only. Be prepared for many boring hours and not too many fires. There was traning available while I was there, take whatever they offer you if the chance come up (generally if you pass on a class you won't be going to any others).
    If you want Email me at ffpcogs@yahoo.com and I will give you a rundown of MY experiences. BTW what FD are you with?

Cogs

Forum Member

Last edited by infusion; 06-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Forum Member

how do they determine where you fall in the pay scale ive heard it was between 90,000 and 130,000. If you have additional certs or is it with experience? or is the base salary fixed and the differentials do the rest

Forum Member

how do they determine where you fall in the pay scale ive heard it was between 90,000 and 130,000. If you have additional certs or is it with experience? or is the base salary fixed and the differentials do the rest
    Pay scale and rank are determined by certification level. IFSAC, ProBoard (NSPQ) or DOD

FF2 = firefighter $90,000 base
    FO I/ FSI-1 / Inspector 1 = LT $105,000 base
    FO - 2 /FSI - 1/ Inspector 1 or 2? = Capt $115,000 base
    FO- 3/ FSI - 2/ Inspector 2 = Asst. Chief $125-130,000 base
    Or some combo of the above for higher officers

Doesn't matter if certs are 1 day or 20 years old. Experience counts for little if anything, it's all about the paper.

Cogs
    Last edited by FFPCogs08; 05-17-2009 at 12:28 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Doing the Iraq thing

Hey all, I am currently employed FT in a small combination department here in Mass. I am tossing around the idea of going to Iraq for the year deployment with WSI. My biggest concern is leaving my Wife and kids for the year. But in the long run the experience and money would be a great help. Yes it is a war zone and I totally except that. Anyone currently over there? how are the conditions etc....

Josh Robichaud

MembersZone Subscriber

More on certs...if you have DoD, IFSAC, or ProBoard, you're good to go. However, they are only looking at what they need. I have several additional IFSAC certs that don't really matter for Iraq. Also, unless something has changed, it's 6 months for promotion eligibility. (their rules) You will do a lot of drills, usually at least one a day prior to ORI. You will also get tasked with additional duties, some of which are not too bad. Keep in mind what the pay is. Firefighter starting number is 90K. Realistically, it very possibly will be more, based on staffing where you end up.

As previously posted, it is VERY different from "normal" structural firefighting. Drills and inspections will be a big part of your life. A very big part. Overall, it's not bad. Most people go through a period of adjustment and then settle in. One other thing, the process does take a while, unless something has changed. Just hang in there when/if you start it.

Good luck.

jl
    Forum Member

Also, don't expect too much from your "officers". Most have NEVER fought fire before, so make sure you are able to take care of yourself (more than likely, you also won't fight any fire while there).
    I worked for some amazing officers while there, and some incredibly undeserving officers while there (no different than stateside depts). If you get stationed w/a good one, consider yourself extremely fortunate.
    It is what you make of it, basically. As mentioned before-lots of boring/do-nothing time.
    And take the opportunity to travel to places you wouldn't be able to go while back home.
    Good luck and enjoy...

MembersZone Subscriber

True statement about officers. There will be good ones and bad, just like in the States. Beware of officers that are "paper " officers. You will know these when you meet them. They will be the ones promoted because of classes and not because of experience. Again, good luck with your process.

Forum Member

thanks guys,
    well then it may be in my best intrest to take FO1 AND FO2 before i apply, its going to be a few months before i can really do anything anyway im building a house right now and have to get that done.

Forum Member

Last edited by infusion; 06-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

infusion,

yes that is correct. I started in 1990 and took the classes i needed at the time such as EMT, FF1, FF2, Pumps, Ariel ops, Hazmat ops, and some others then i got hired by a paid dept in 2000. There is no need to have FO1 or FO2 in our dept. unless and until you get promoted to Sgt. which ill will be trying for in 2010 then the dept puts you through them. I know some want as many certs as they can get, I only want what i need to do my job. so my thoughts were if they would help over there i can take them now through the volly house.

thanks for all the information its a big decision to make

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ???

I am know throwing the idea around about going overseas for a contract deal. With Obama now in office and the fact that they are pulling troops out of Iraq I am worried about getting hired by a contract and then be out of a job once i hit the ground overseas. Is there any merit to this? Are the contract companies shorthanded? Any info would be greatly appreciated..

MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by talonsx2 View Post
    I am know throwing the idea around about going overseas for a contract deal. With Obama now in office and the fact that they are pulling troops out of Iraq I am worried about getting hired by a contract and then be out of a job once i hit the ground overseas. Is there any merit to this? Are the contract companies shorthanded? Any info would be greatly appreciated..

MIKE
    Hey Mike, Spoke to Kristain at WSI and they are still activley recruiting. I had asked the same question to him and he admitted that Obama does want all COMBAT troops out by August 2010. However there will still be support troops for 2-3 years in country. In fact I know of 2 local Marines they are redeploying to Iraq in May 2010.

let me know how you make out. If all goes well on my end I should be in country by mid October.

Josh

Default Iraq

MIKE
    Hey Mike, Spoke to Kristain at WSI and they are still activley recruiting. I had asked the same question to him and he admitted that Obama does want all COMBAT troops out by August 2010. However there will still be support troops for 2-3 years in country. In fact I know of 2 local Marines they are redeploying to Iraq in May 2010.

let me know how you make out. If all goes well on my end I should be in country by mid October.

Josh

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanx

Thank you for the info. How long have you been in the process? and have you been there before?

Thanks again

Default Iraq

Thank you for the info. How long have you been in the process? and have you been there before?

Thanks again
    Hey Mike, I first started the process back in the end of March and was told I would deploy in June. I was held up on my Hazmat FRO cert but just got that taken care of this past week. I have not been over but have spoken to alot of guys that have. My mane reason is simply the money. I am FT here at a small municipal dept and it is going nowhere. I have been on the job since 2003 and the town is not given us a raise for two years due to the budget cuts. I know there is virtualy no fires and it is all inspection but the way I look at it where else can one make 90k+ tax free here in the states. You cant.

With everything now in the swing I will be looking at October for Houston. Feel free to email me if you would like jrobichaud@vzw.blackberry.net

Josh

Forum Member

Default Check Your Notes

Guys,

It's not tax free and you'd better beware of WSI blowing smoke. They are like any other recruiter. It's a good deal, just be cautious. The contract can be over at any time.

Thread Information