MembersZone Subscriber

Default Disposing of outdated/unservicable LDH

How are you disposing of LDH that is of no value to fire service? Worst case is paying cash to landfill. Is there an alternative disposal method? Recycle value?

Forum Member

Marinas for pleasure boats love it for lining the sides of docks as bumpers...
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Some construction companies use it to pump water away from their job sites.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Works good for edge protection for rescue ropes, if you're into that sort of thing.

Can small segments be salvaged, or is every inch bad? If you can cut 12"-18" sections, use it to sleeve existing hose. Put a sleeve at each end just in from the coupling. Helps keep the hose from bending to sharp right out of the coupling, and it is in place in case it springs a leak.

If a leak happens, empty the hose and pull the sleeve down to cover the leak, usually with the help of a pair of vicegrips. When the hose is charged it expands and seals against the sleeve. No leak.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Forum Member

Cut sections about 18"-24" long and use them to cover the A and B post of car after cutting...

Forum Member

I asked at our recycle yard today, I got blank looks. Our maintenence dept (sorry guys facility management) keeps pestering us for old hose. But I don't know what they do when there done destroying it.

Forum Member

Cut a section about 12" long, and fold it over. Put a couple of grommets through it in the corners and you have a decent little tool pouch....

NEIOWA - Why not see if some of the local farmers can use it? After all, I'm sure they can find a way to use it with their field spraying and manure transfers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

We have 3 really common uses for them:

1) (already mentioned) Cut sections to cover posts during extrication
    2) (already mentioned) Rivvet ends and make a tool pouch. Both for personal gear (small hand tools) and for apparatus equipment (spanners, hydrent wrenches)
    3) Take an end with an entact coupling. Cap that coupling off. Cut about a 6 to 8 foot length. open up the other end and pour 3/4 full of sand and 1/4 of water. TIGHTLY close that end (Rivvets, as many as you need....tons of stuff like that). This gives you a perfect barrier to use on Hazmat incidents where you need to contain a liquid. We have about 20 on our Hazmat truck and 2-3 on all of our truck companies. Works very well.

Forum Member

Cut sections in 18" to 24" in length. We use them on auto extrications to cover the A,B,C... pillars after we have cut them. we use to try to decrease the chance of personnel or equipment getting hurt or damaged on any sharp corners and edges.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Make hose dummies for training?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Make hose dummies for training?
    Why should they make hose dummies? There's plenty of them already assigned to the engine

Truckin' aint easy
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cut it and recouple it for Pony lengths - then use the scrap for tool pouches and edge protection...

I just wanted to join the club in answering around your question

We take ours to the county landfill and they may use it for their own needs or just add it to the pile. Never had anyone ask us to pay to dispose of it.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Thread Information