Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Once again you prove yourself completely incapable of making a point or a post without insulting someone. Your hypocracy is so incredibly amazing it baffles the mind.
    How is insulting idiotboy being hypocritical? If he were truly slighted he could claim slander in which case my only defense would be the truth. I dare him.

Hey skippy, might want to learn about something there. Dr. Hawking has a form of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis which struck him after he graduated from college - as it often does. Since then he completed his doctorate and became a pre-eminent physicist despite being paralyzed, requiring around the clock care, suffering numerous infections, and requiring a wheelchair to get around.

Here is another. At my local RMV office, the manager (who is one of the nicest folks I have ever interacted with) was born deaf, partially paralyzed, partially blind, and with a speech impediment works harder every day, excels at customer care, and knows his and everyone else's job there backwards and forwards overcame the insults, tormenting, roadblocks, difficulties, and limitations society placed on him - because he wanted to.

A girl who graduated the year before me in high school was in a car accident which left her paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair - while still in high school. She returned to school as soon as able to, and never let her disability beat her down. I guess you would have just wanted her to roll over and let life beat her down.
    All very interesting stories. And all very compelling in their desire to overcome adversity.

However earlier you said:

You have more control over the events that occur in your life than anyone else.
    Did Hawking choose to have ALS? Did the RMV manager choose to be born partially deaf and paralyzed? Did your fellow HS alum choose to be hit by a car and confined to a wheelchair? I sincerely doubt the answer to any of those questions is "yes."

I never said those who have faced adversity don't or aren't capable of overcoming. The allegory that spawned this thread assumes we all start at the same place. My point is that isn't true and that is what makes this story a simplistic example put forth by morons to reinforce a point that is mythology.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    How is insulting idiotboy being hypocritical? If he were truly slighted he could claim slander in which case my only defense would be the truth. I dare him.
    Because it wasn't more than a couple of years ago that I was telling folks to not insult you and you were whining about folks insulting you. That is how you are a hypocrate. We have had this discussion at least once before. Try to keep up.

All very interesting stories. And all very compelling in their desire to overcome adversity.
    Instead of lay down and cry "wo is me" like you would have them do.

But you implied that they would not be able to make that choice to move forward and should wallow in self pity. How enlightening of you. How open minded of you. Remind me to never look to you for any amount of encouragement.

Did Hawking choose to have ALS? Did the RMV manager choose to be born partially deaf and paralyzed? Did your fellow HS alum choose to be hit by a car and confined to a wheelchair? I sincerely doubt the answer to any of those questions is "yes."
    You are very bad at playing stupid, you know that was not the intent of the post.

You may not choose what happens to you in life by way of cancer, accidents, and disabilities, ut instead of rolling over and playing dead, sucking off of the tit of government, saying give me more, give me more, I need your pity, they chose to overcome the adversity that came about in their lives. You would rather they roll over and not be productive members of society? I eagerly await your typical non-answer. As usual.

By the way, you have not admitted that you were wrong yet about Professor Hawking. Not that I am surprised.

I never said those who have faced adversity don't or aren't capable of overcoming. The allegory that spawned this thread assumes we all start at the same place. My point is that isn't true and that is what makes this story a simplistic example put forth by morons to reinforce a point that is mythology.
    I never said we started in the same place. Nor did the original poster (please show me where he said that, because it is not there.)

We choose what to do in our lives. Those with HIV choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives. Those with amputations choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives.

That is the entire point I made - apparently I did not explain that clearly enough for your enlightened mind to comprehend when I tried to that in my earlier post - or you chose to play stupid again (likely the latter since you do that frequently.)

So you got hit by a car. So you got a chronic disease. You choose what you are going to do in that moment. You choose to believe all the crap, nonsense, and tripe that because you are poor you have to stay poor. Because you are black you will never get out of Compton. Because you have lost one or two limbs you cannot do this or that. You choose to move forward or blame everyone else in the world because of where you are or end up.

You know that is the truth, but you would rather opt to defend the continual tripe and nonsense that allows others to stay down when no one is beating or keeping them down. You keep yourself down, or you pick yourself by the proverbial boot straps and keep going.

It is your choice, no one elses.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 05-18-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Because it wasn't more than a couple of years ago that I was telling folks to not insult you and you were whining about folks insulting you. That is how you are a hypocrate. We have had this discussion at least once before. Try to keep up.
    Point me to where I was whining. I was making the point that others complain of my insults after calling me every name in the book.

Instead of lay down and cry "wo is me" like you would have them do.
    I've never any such thing.

But you implied that they would not be able to make that choice to move forward and should wallow in self pity. How enlightening of you. How open minded of you. Remind me to never look to you for any amount of encouragement.
    Please don't. Encouragement from the outside is a luxury. One must be internally capable of encouragement in order to succeed against adversity.

You are very bad at playing stupid, you know that was not the intent of the post.
    Not really. I made the point that not everyone has the same starting points which is the point of the allegory. You claimed that wasn't the case.

You may not choose what happens to you in life by way of cancer, accidents, and disabilities, ut instead of rolling over and playing dead, sucking off of the tit of government, saying give me more, give me more, I need your pity, they chose to overcome the adversity that came about in their lives. You would rather they roll over and not be productive members of society? I eagerly await your typical non-answer. As usual.
    You're proving my point. Let me repeat myself. I stated the point of idiotboy's story is it assumes everyone has the same starting point. I claimed that isn't the case. You've cited numerous examples proving my point. More power to all those who've triumphed over the adversity they have endured. I've never faulted anyone for that character trait. I'm sorry if you fail to understand the meaning of my statement.

By the way, you have not admitted that you were wrong yet about Professor Hawking. Not that I am surprised.
    I admit I was wrong. Feel better? I confused him with someone else.

I never said we started in the same place. Nor did the original poster (please show me where he said that, because it is not there.)
    It's easy to see for those who want to understand the allegory.

We choose what to do in our lives. Those with HIV choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives. Those with amputations choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives.
    I've known individuals who've triumphed over both. Met an HIV victim who was starting a 401-K. Something he didn't think he would have to worry about since he was told he was going to die in a very near time frame at the age of 27.

That is the entire point I made - apparently I did not explain that clearly enough for your enlightened mind to comprehend when I tried to that in my earlier post - or you chose to play stupid again (likely the latter since you do that frequently.)

So you got hit by a car. So you got a chronic disease. You choose what you are going to do in that moment. You choose to believe all the crap, nonsense, and tripe that because you are poor you have to stay poor. Because you are black you will never get out of Compton. Because you have lost one or two limbs you cannot do this or that. You choose to move forward or blame everyone else in the world because of where you are or end up.
    All which are beyond the choices of the individual. Thanks again for proving my point.

You know that is the truth, but you would rather opt to defend the continual tripe and nonsense that allows others to stay down when no one is beating or keeping them down. You keep yourself down, or you pick yourself by the proverbial boot straps and keep going.

It is your choice, no one elses.
    Some people don't even have boots as a starting point. What about them?
    Last edited by scfire86; 05-19-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Point me to where I was whining. I was making the point that others complain of my insults after calling me every name in the book.
    Which makes you a hypocrate. You don't insult others just because they insult you, especially when you don't like it.

I've never any such thing.
    Gonna have to clarify whatever the hell it was you were trying to say here.

Please don't. Encouragement from the outside is a luxury. One must be internally capable of encouragement in order to succeed against adversity.
    Encouragement is not a luxury. It is something you get or don't get. You either pick yourself up or move on. Dr. Hawking - sinc ehe was your example - was told all along that he would not be successful. Guess he was not getting that 'luxury." Everyone is capable of that internal "luxury" it is a matter of whether you choose to do it or not. Hence it is a personal choice. You can either let yourself be beat down, or push yourself to succeed. Your choice.

Not really. I made the point that not everyone has the same starting points which is the point of the allegory. You claimed that wasn't the case.
    And no one here, except you, implied that everyone had the same starting point. Once again, you choose to NOT point out in the story where that was mentioned. No one will have the same starting point, but what you choose to do with life, life's hardships, the difficulties and joys in life is an individual choice. Do you choose to stay on welfare, or do you choose to go to college? Do you choose to wallow in self pity, or do you choose to get out of the situation you are in? It is a personal choice.

Unlike you, instead of continuing to beat a person down and tell them they cannot do it alone, I would rather push a person forward, help them up, and might even perhaps show them a way to do it. Think about it.

You're proving my point. Let me repeat myself. I stated the point of idiotboy's story is it assumes everyone has the same starting point. I claimed that isn't the case. You've cited numerous examples proving my point. More power to all those who've triumphed over the adversity they have endured. I've never faulted anyone for that character trait. I'm sorry if you fail to understand the meaning of my statement.
    Again, what starting point in the story? There isn't one. One is a small child, and one is an adult. Both make choices or have made choices. I am sure that most homeless people were not born that way, it was a choice (to an extent) that they made, and/or continue to make.

I do understand your point, I am just saying that you can either pick yourself up or stay down. Your choice.

I admit I was wrong. Feel better? I confused him with someone else.
    Now was that so difficult? I don't fell better, just wanted you to admit your error - something that I have never seen you do.

It's easy to see for those who want to understand the allegory.
    I understood it quite well, I am still looking for where the same starting point comes into it, and why you think we believe that is what is going on here.

I've known individuals who've triumphed over both. Met an HIV victim who was starting a 401-K. Something he didn't think he would have to worry about since he was told he was going to die in a very near time frame at the age of 27.
    Thank you for proving my point. He made a choice. Imagine that. Such a novel concept.

And HIV infected people are not "victims", they are infected with a virus.

All which are beyond the choices of the individual. Thanks again for proving my point.
    Never said they weren't. Perhaps I need to connect the dots for you again. No one said they weren't. We said they could either choose to be kept down, be pushed down, be run over, or get up, dust themselves off, and move forward.

Regardless of where you start off in life, you can choose where you are going to go.

Some people don't even have boots as a starting point. What about them?
    You find a pair of boots. And start walking. (Hopefully I do not need to explain that one to you.)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Banned

Gonna have to clarify whatever the hell it was you were trying to say here.
    That happens a lot. He spins so fast even he doesn't know what he is saying

Encouragement is not a luxury. It is something you get or don't get. You either pick yourself up or move on. Dr. Hawking - sinc ehe was your example - was told all along that he would not be successful. Guess he was not getting that 'luxury." Everyone is capable of that internal "luxury" it is a matter of whether you choose to do it or not. Hence it is a personal choice. You can either let yourself be beat down, or push yourself to succeed. Your choice.
    Actually, Doctor Hawking was my example.

And no one here, except you, implied that everyone had the same starting point. Once again, you choose to NOT point out in the story where that was mentioned. No one will have the same starting point, but what you choose to do with life, life's hardships, the difficulties and joys in life is an individual choice. Do you choose to stay on welfare, or do you choose to go to college? Do you choose to wallow in self pity, or do you choose to get out of the situation you are in? It is a personal choice.
    Once again, I actually stated that "all men are created equal", after all, let's give credit where credit is do. And I stand by that statement. Of course, what happens to you after you are created is what determines how you succeed in life. One can choose to work hard and lift themselves up or they can blame someone else and take the low road. Granted, not all people have the same mental or physical abilities. But everyone can use their god given abilities to be the best that they can be.

Unlike you, instead of continuing to beat a person down and tell them they cannot do it alone, I would rather push a person forward, help them up, and might even perhaps show them a way to do it. Think about it.
    I am reminded here of an excellent saying - Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach the man to fish and feed him for life.

[/quote]Again, what starting point in the story? There isn't one. One is a small child, and one is an adult. Both make choices or have made choices. I am sure that most homeless people were not born that way, it was a choice (to an extent) that they made, and/or continue to make.[/quote]

That is another thing I don't understand. If I go to the local DSS office and say I have no place to sleep and no food, they have to put me in a shelter and give me food. I'm inclined to believe that those who are homeless and living in the streets choose that lifestyle instead of taking the governments help.

Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    That happens a lot. He spins so fast even he doesn't know what he is saying
    Which really means you lack the ability to keep up.

Hawking was the example used by idiotboy. Read the posts again.

And no one here, except you, implied that everyone had the same starting point.
    The story that started this thread implies that as well.

Again, what starting point in the story? There isn't one. One is a small child, and one is an adult. Both make choices or have made choices. I am sure that most homeless people were not born that way, it was a choice (to an extent) that they made, and/or continue to make.
    I dealt with enough homeless people to know that you never know what caused them to be in that situation.

I do understand your point, I am just saying that you can either pick yourself up or stay down. Your choice.
    Not really. I've shown several examples where folks have their lives thrust upon them.

Thank you for proving my point. He made a choice. Imagine that. Such a novel concept.

And HIV infected people are not "victims", they are infected with a virus.
    Except my example was someone who contracted HIV back before there was adequate screening of the blood supply. He's not gay. Though I'm sure that's what you immediately thought. I guess he chose that according to you.

You find a pair of boots. And start walking. (Hopefully I do not need to explain that one to you.)
    That assumes there's a pair lying around. Unless you steal them.

Banned

I dealt with enough homeless people to know that you never know what caused them to be in that situation.
    But no one should be homeless, they are homeless by choice. Just got to your local DSS and they will put you up in a hotel. Single people get sent to a mission, and when they hear they they decline the assistance.

Not really. I've shown several examples where folks have their lives thrust upon them.
    Yes, I have shown one as well, MINE!!!!

Except my example was someone who contracted HIV back before there was adequate screening of the blood supply. He's not gay. Though I'm sure that's what you immediately thought. I guess he chose that according to you.
    Anecdotal

Hawking was the example used by idiotboy. Read the posts again.
    Man, what the hell is with you being incapable of posting without insulting or demeaning someone?

So he did. I have no problem admitting my errors - unlike you.

The story that started this thread implies that as well.
    Show me where? It shows a girl asking a question, says nothing about where someone starts. Admit it.

I deal with enough homeless folks on a daily basis to know that I have seen people pull themselves up, to push themselves forward. Regardless of what led them there. Dealt with and deal with are two different stages in life - one is past tense, and on is ongoing.

And it does not matter what got them there, or what gets them there. It is what they choose to do when they get there. Perhaps you ignore the homeless Harvard student who graduated last year - spent most of his college life being homeless, while attending one of the most liberal colleges in the world, with the largest endowment of any school in the world.

People choose to move forward, or to remain in the status quo. Their choice. How many times do I have to explain this to you before it actually sinks into your brain. I do not think I can make it any simpler, but I just might have to come up with a way to do it.

And I have shown several examples of where those with those events thrust upon them refused to listen to naysayers like you and overcame the very adversity that you point out. You seem to rather have them become unproductive members of society, and I say they have the opportunity to do anything that they are both physically and mentally capable of - regardless of what has been thrust upon them, where they were born, how they were raised, or what some person would tell them they cannot do.

I know people who contracted HIV from medical procedures, I know people who contracted it while practicing medicine, I know people who contracted it from having sex with infected individuals. Considering that in the United States there is still a 1 in 300,000 risk of contracting HIV from our blood supply - even though we test every person who donates blood, and every unit of blood we collect in this nation. Don't forget that the largest groups of people with a growing HIV infection are those under the age of 25, gay men, and the elderly population (the latter for a variety of reasons.)

As usual, you assume that I thought the guy was gay. I did not, you likely won't believe me, but that is fine - you ought to be used to being wrong and not admitting it by now.

HAART regimens for HIV have come a long way from when we both witnessed HIV and AIDS arise in the early to mid 1980s from a 20 pill regimen a day to a single pill daily regimen that is well-tolerated. Thankfully we have turned HIV and AIDS into a relatively chronic disease, from the ravage that it initially was.

People with HIV are still not victims. Your example chose to move forward. He contracted a disease, sadly enough. But he, by your own statement, chose to move forward, as hard as it was, as much adversity as was placed in his way, he chose to not let it keep him down. I guess you would rather that he did so.

That assumes there's a pair lying around. Unless you steal them.
    Or you find a way to acquire a pair without breaking the law. Perhaps he might even be able to find a used pair or ask someone for help. Instead, you would rather have them just roll over and wallow in self pity.

Which really means you lack the ability to keep up.
    Or that you did not speak clearly. You evidently did not read the post, because it does not make any sense, and cannot be linked to any post made.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Actually, Doctor Hawking was my example.
    Understood. Amazing when one can admit they are wrong without having to be hounded and pointed out numerous times isn't it scfire?

Once again, I actually stated that "all men are created equal", after all, let's give credit where credit is do. And I stand by that statement.
    Actually, great men more than 200 years ago said that, and now everyone needs a handout from the government right scfire?

I am reminded here of an excellent saying - Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach the man to fish and feed him for life.
    Now now, no using common sense, even if it is true. No use of the Bible to battle with a Liberal. They don't like it.

That is another thing I don't understand. If I go to the local DSS office and say I have no place to sleep and no food, they have to put me in a shelter and give me food. I'm inclined to believe that those who are homeless and living in the streets choose that lifestyle instead of taking the governments help.
    Come on, scfire would rather a person just roll over and milk the federal, state, and local governments instead of bettering themselves, moving forward, and making something of themselves - regardless of what life throws at them - short of being a vegetable.

Understood. Amazing when one can admit they are wrong without having to be hounded and pointed out numerous times isn't it scfire?

Actually, great men more than 200 years ago said that, and now everyone needs a handout from the government right scfire?

Now now, no using common sense, even if it is true. No use of the Bible to battle with a Liberal. They don't like it.

Come on, scfire would rather a person just roll over and milk the federal, state, and local governments instead of bettering themselves, moving forward, and making something of themselves - regardless of what life throws at them - short of being a vegetable.
    Is there a reason you responded to idiotboy while asking me questions?

I've never said anyone should roll over and milk the state in perpetuity. I believe there should be safety nets, not hammocks. You're the one who claims that I believe people should milk the state. My point is not everyone starts at the same place. Which is what this story assumes.

If you don't understand that, you're not much brighter than idiotboy.

He has a bad habit of doing that; furthermore I believe his true motives are not of having rational discussion.
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

Banned

The fact is, it all comes down to one thing. Do you want your government to provide for you and tell you what to do. The more government gets into your life the less freedom you have. If you desire socialism or communism then go where they have it, America became the worlds greatest nation because of our capitalistic views and our free society. There is no way anyone with at least half a brain can argue otherwise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gamewell35 View Post
    He has a bad habit of doing that; furthermore I believe his true motives are not of having rational discussion.
    If you are referring to Dasharkie he has put forth some very compelling arguments, facts, and logic. And all you get form SC is some adolescent one liner, the second liberal, nozzlehead, usually offers up something incoherent, and the third liberal, (that is you) is rarely heard from. Of the three, you seem to offer up the best arguments but are rarely heard.

If you are referring to Dasharkie he has put forth some very compelling arguments, facts, and logic. And all you get form SC is some adolescent one liner, the second liberal, nozzlehead, usually offers up something incoherent, and the third liberal, (that is you) is rarely heard from. Of the three, you seem to offer up the best arguments but are rarely heard.
    Granted he may at times, but i've noticed other times in my opinion, he's meanspirited, condensending or otherwise irrational. Aside from that I'm sure he's a nice guy. But that's really all i want to say on him; this threads not about him but politics defined.
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

Whatever pal. I am not the one who routinely insults people of other opinions, refuses to answer questions when asked of him - while demanding others answer his, and back my arguments up with facts, instead of tripe and nonsense from less than reputable sites, and who knows what else.

You don't exactly do much better.

My motives - not that you'll choose to believe me - are to educate others, and break down the nonsense that is spewed forth by those who don't know what they are talking about.

Yes there is.

I've never said anyone should roll over and milk the state in perpetuity. I believe there should be safety nets, not hammocks. You're the one who claims that I believe people should milk the state.
    Until now you never did. Yet people here have been saying that no one should be on it for a very long time, but you never mentioned that until now. Since you never addressed the matter, despite numerous proddings to do so, how am I suposed to pull away anything from that?

My point is not everyone starts at the same place.
    And I, and no one else here, ever said they did. We only said that it is up to the individual to choose what they will do with their lives, and offered up numerous examples of people starting from adversity, poverty, and life events and chose to bust their butt and accomplish something.

Meanwhile, you opted to offer up hypotheticals - while you insult and deride others for doing so. Like I have been saying, you are a hypocrate.

Which is what this story assumes.
    No it does not. It is what you assume - and I have asked you point out where you get this on several occasions, and you opt to not address the matter.

Whatever you say. You are (almost) always right.

Granted he may at times, but i've noticed other times in my opinion, he's meanspirited, condensending or otherwise irrational. Aside from that I'm sure he's a nice guy. But that's really all i want to say on him; this threads not about him but politics defined.
    How am I meanspirited? I do not insult others, do not demean others, do not talk down to anyone, and provide points backed up by facts in my arguments.

You, Nozzle, and scfire offer up hypotheticals, insults, derision, assumptions, and unsupported points in an argument.

It is also apparently acceptable for your fellow liberals to insult others, show their meanspiritedness, be condescending, and irrational, but not those with an opposing view to yours. Amazing hypocracy.

I gave up caring what people really think about me a long time ago. Rest assured that I will lose no sleep over telling anyone what I think, how I feel, or what their reaction to it might be.

And if the thread is not about me, why did you make your post about me?

Banned

How am I meanspirited? I do not insult others, do not demean others, do not talk down to anyone, and provide points backed up by facts in my arguments.

You, Nozzle, and scfire offer up hypotheticals, insults, derision, assumptions, and unsupported points in an argument.

It is also apparently acceptable for your fellow liberals to insult others, show their meanspiritedness, be condescending, and irrational, but not those with an opposing view to yours. Amazing hypocracy.

I gave up caring what people really think about me a long time ago. Rest assured that I will lose no sleep over telling anyone what I think, how I feel, or what their reaction to it might be.

And if the thread is not about me, why did you make your post about me?
    You mean you donít use terms like moonbat, idiotboy, pelosi and reid?

Thread Information