1. #1
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default Politics Defined!!

    I recently asked my friend's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day.

    Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?

    She replied, I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people. Her parents beamed.

    Wow...what a worthy goal, I told her, but you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my driveway, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.

    She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked; Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50??

    I said, Welcome to the Republican Party!

    Her parents still aren't speaking to me

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    You're not fooling anyone idiotboy. We all know you don't have any friends.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #3
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You're not fooling anyone idiotboy. We all know you don't have any friends.
    Same old typical condescending liberal. Funny how if you donít believe in what they believe in you are labeled an idiot. You arenít fooling me Libby, I know when you try to denigrate people you are really saying you have no argument and cannot defend your stance.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I recently asked my friend's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day.

    Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?

    She replied, I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people. Her parents beamed.

    Wow...what a worthy goal, I told her, but you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my driveway, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.

    She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked; Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50??

    I said, Welcome to the Republican Party!

    Her parents still aren't speaking to me
    That was good Crow. I diasgree with you strongly sometimes, but this one was bang on the money.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    Same old typical condescending liberal. Funny how if you donít believe in what they believe in you are labeled an idiot. You arenít fooling me Libby, I know when you try to denigrate people you are really saying you have no argument and cannot defend your stance.
    What argument? The determination of you being an idiot was decided long ago. Hint: It didn't go in your favor.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  6. #6
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    What argument? The determination of you being an idiot was decided long ago. Hint: It didn't go in your favor.
    Stupid is as Stupid Does...

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    ActionGoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York (RIGHT COAST)
    Posts
    185

    Default

    This tired joke wasn't any better when I first heard it.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You're not fooling anyone idiotboy. We all know you don't have any friends.
    That's all this jester has.
    Personal attacks.
    Editing other's posts when he quotes them.
    Baseless claims founded only on rhetoric.
    More of the same.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonbat
    That's all this jester has.
    Personal attacks.
    Editing other's posts when he quotes them.
    Baseless claims founded only on rhetoric.
    More of the same.
    Much like your claim that Obama isn't a citizen.

    Hey moonbat, do the black helicopters keep you awake at night?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ActionGoose View Post
    This tired joke wasn't any better when I first heard it.
    But just as true as it always has been. Never an argument made against that point.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    But just as true as it always has been. Never an argument made against that point.
    Not really. The story assumes that everyone has the same opportunities available to them.

    That isn't the case in real life.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  12. #12
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Not really. The story assumes that everyone has the same opportunities available to them.

    That isn't the case in real life.
    All men are created equal. In this country some people have more opportunities available to them do to preferential treatment via affirmative action programs.

    Unfortunately, people born into welfare families are destined to become welfare recipients themselves. Not because they lack opportunity, but because this is the environment they grow up in. Without the proper motivation, they are doomed to fail.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Not really. The story assumes that everyone has the same opportunities available to them.
    You have more control over the events that occur in your life than anyone else. The individual chooses to use drugs or quit drugs, which grades to get in school, which jobs to take, which colleges to attend, which way to go in their life.

    Nothing is guaranteed in life, you chart the vast majority of the path that you take in life. The world is loaded with people who have started at the bottom rungs of scoiety and done exceptionally well in their lives, rising to the top of their fields of study, work, and choice.

    The nonsense of saying that those opportunities do not exist just gives people an excuse to hide behind. Roadblocks, closed doors, and other barriers are there to challenge you and make those that truly want something rise to the occasion.

    So you were born to a single mother in the slums of Detroit with no male influence. So was Dr. Ben Carson, head of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

    So you were born to a single mother, lived below the poverty line all your childhood. You went to college, attended Yale Law School, went to Oxford, and became President William Jefferson Clinton.

    You, as an individual, allow yourself to be beat down - or use it to motivate yourself to do better and bust your *** too do it. You can run with a gang, get shot and die on the street, or you study hard, go to college, and get out of that corrosive environment. The choice is the individual's, not society's.

    Stop making excuses for people to use for making their own failures out of life, and tell them to bust your *** to make something out of yourself and provide more for your family.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    That isn't the case in real life.
    Only if you choose to not make it so.


    I am by no means an optimist, but I am tired of being told that everyone cannot do it. It is a load of crap. You can do what you want if you push yourself to do it. Or you can fall to the wayside and let others pass you by. The choice is the individual's.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  14. #14
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You have more control over the events that occur in your life than anyone else...
    Truer words have never been spoken. I paid someone a lot of money one time to have them point that out to me. I can only control myself, I cannot control anyone else.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You have more control over the events that occur in your life than anyone else. The individual chooses to use drugs or quit drugs, which grades to get in school, which jobs to take, which colleges to attend, which way to go in their life.
    Really? So if I'm driving down the street and get hit by a drunk and now have to drive a wheelchair with a straw in my teeth, I had control over that. I can list any number of things that can happen to an individual that are beyond their control and would be life devastating.

    I agree there are personal choices one makes. Becoming obese and then demanding to be treated via Medi-Care is one of them. I would have no problem having a fat tax for folks whose personal health and lifestyles will burden all of us as they get older. But telling someone how to live their life because of consequences like that is considered government intrusion by conservatives.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Really? So if I'm driving down the street and get hit by a drunk and now have to drive a wheelchair with a straw in my teeth, I had control over that. I can list any number of things that can happen to an individual that are beyond their control and would be life devastating.
    Don't play stupid, it is incredibly unbecoming of you. Do I really need to connect the dots for you? In case you choose to answer in the affirmative (which only proves that you lack basic common sense) I will do so.

    In the case that you mentioned, you are covered under your personal healthcare, the driver's/owners automotive insurance, the driver's/owners umbrella insurance policy, the driver's/owner's personal assets, Medicaid, free-care, SSI, Medicare, and numerous other healthcare policies.

    I can give you several names of people who have done well even though they are paralyzed. Christopher Reeves, Travis Roy, Stephen Hawking. Thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines from current and previous conflicts have done amazing things despite devastating lifetime injuries. Even Max Cleland, a former Democratic Senator from Georgia survived having 3 limbs literally blown off of him while in the military - confied to wheelchair he fought hard, overcam his injuries, and rose to be a seasoned, effective Senator. He chose to not let it keep him down - as have thousands of men and women throughout time.

    If you are able-bodies, have no disability that limits your ability to work, then you can still make those choices to do what you want in life. You know it, but you choose to play stupid, even though you know exactly what point I was making - and you could not come up with an argument on fact, so you show your hypocracy and use the same hypotheticals that you berate others for using frequently. You just cannot stand being called on it, because in your mind you don't make mistakes and are never wrong. Are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I agree there are personal choices one makes. Becoming obese and then demanding to be treated via Medi-Care is one of them. I would have no problem having a fat tax for folks whose personal health and lifestyles will burden all of us as they get older.
    Many people would say otherwise. Many find the thought of charging more for a person who chooses to smoke, be obese (lets face it - it is a choice), use heroin/crack/cocaine/meth, etc.., loathsome and say that it is unfair - despite the choice of folks to continue living in this manner while costing society an inordinate amount of money.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    But telling someone how to live their life because of consequences like that is considered government intrusion by conservatives.
    I am not telling anyone anything. Nor am I telling someone how to live their life. I am saying that prolonged, lifelong monetary distributions to an able-bodied, healthy person is not appropriate. I am not telling you anything, other than you need to get a job and stop living off of my money. I have a chronic, eventually debilitating disease myself which will only get progressively worse - despite modern medical advances..... You get a finite amount of resources as a hand up in life, they ought to expire after no more than 2 years. You can either do something, or do nothing - but the choice is yours.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  17. #17
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Really? So if I'm driving down the street and get hit by a drunk and now have to drive a wheelchair with a straw in my teeth, I had control over that. I can list any number of things that can happen to an individual that are beyond their control and would be life devastating.
    Even though you are in a wheel chair you can still be productive, ever hear of Steven Hawking?

    There is a girl that works at the local DSS office who is crippled. Drives here nuts when these young kids come in and claim they canít work because they canít deal with people.


    I agree there are personal choices one makes. Becoming obese and then demanding to be treated via Medi-Care is one of them. I would have no problem having a fat tax for folks whose personal health and lifestyles will burden all of us as they get older. But telling someone how to live their life because of consequences like that is considered government intrusion by conservatives.

    Who determines what the perfect lifestyle is? Do we really want a society that strives to have all blonde haired, blue eyed, beach bum bodies? How about the dangers of eating too much granola? Or drinking too much milk? But what about the people who just put on weight because that is the way their body works. How about a surcharge for people who are too thin? Next question is who determines who is too fat or too thin? FYI. It doesnít matter if you are conservative or liberal, the government telling you how to live your life is an intrusion of freedom.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    Even though you are in a wheel chair you can still be productive, ever hear of Steven Hawking?
    Great example idiotboy. You continue to prove your stupidity has no bounds. Hawking was born with his disabilities. Like your credit card agreement, my point flew past you at warp speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    There is a girl that works at the local DSS office who is crippled. Drives here nuts when these young kids come in and claim they canít work because they canít deal with people.
    And how do you so much about the workings of the DSS office?

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    Who determines what the perfect lifestyle is? Do we really want a society that strives to have all blonde haired, blue eyed, beach bum bodies? How about the dangers of eating too much granola? Or drinking too much milk? But what about the people who just put on weight because that is the way their body works. How about a surcharge for people who are too thin? Next question is who determines who is too fat or too thin? FYI. It doesnít matter if you are conservative or liberal, the government telling you how to live your life is an intrusion of freedom.
    You truly are stupid. I would very much like to have your sense of freedom. However, those who purposely engage in unhealthy lifestyles because of their desire to have their "freedom" then shouldn't be allowed to impact others whose lifestyles are so self destructive. Yet that is precisely what happens. If someone seriously overweight so resented governmental intrusion concerning diet he or she should be willing to sign a waiver declining any and all government-funded medical care forever more, I think that would be more than fair.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Great example idiotboy. You continue to prove your stupidity has no bounds. Hawking was born with his disabilities. Like your credit card agreement, my point flew past you at warp speed.
    Doesn't matter, he was still able to function, and many others have as well.

    And how do you so much about the workings of the DSS office?
    I have a good friend who works there and we converse on a daily basis. I get all the inside info on how screwed up the system is.

    You truly are stupid. I would very much like to have your sense of freedom. However, those who purposely engage in unhealthy lifestyles because of their desire to have their "freedom" then shouldn't be allowed to impact others whose lifestyles are so self destructive. Yet that is precisely what happens. If someone seriously overweight so resented governmental intrusion concerning diet he or she should be willing to sign a waiver declining any and all government-funded medical care forever more, I think that would be more than fair.
    So then by your rules we should also have gays pay a higher premium because they are at risk for AIDS. Keep spinning.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Great example idiotboy. You continue to prove your stupidity has no bounds.
    Once again you prove yourself completely incapable of making a point or a post without insulting someone. Your hypocracy is so incredibly amazing it baffles the mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Hawking was born with his disabilities.
    Hey skippy, might want to learn about something there. Dr. Hawking has a form of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis which struck him after he graduated from college - as it often does. Since then he completed his doctorate and became a pre-eminent physicist despite being paralyzed, requiring around the clock care, suffering numerous infections, and requiring a wheelchair to get around.

    Pretty much makes my point for me doesn't it? Much like your hypocritical hypothetical guy struck by a drunk driver requiring the same level of care, he rose to the top of his field of study, has written numerous books, statements, and opinions, is respected and known around the world. I guess he should have just rolled over and cried "wo is me."

    Don't you just hate it when your own ignorance on a subject gets turned right around on you to disprove your own point? Next time research the issue before you make a fool of yourself - then again you don't want to research a matter for your own self improvement.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Like your credit card agreement, my point flew past you at warp speed.
    Aparently it did not, seeing as how you were wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    And how do you so much about the workings of the DSS office?
    Another veiled insult. How pathetic.

    Here is another. At my local RMV office, the manager (who is one of the nicest folks I have ever interacted with) was born deaf, partially paralyzed, partially blind, and with a speech impediment works harder every day, excels at customer care, and knows his and everyone else's job there backwards and forwards overcame the insults, tormenting, roadblocks, difficulties, and limitations society placed on him - because he wanted to.

    Most people that I interact with who have severe disabilities are the same way. They refuse to suck off the tit of society and government and bust their *** to work and be productive. Perhaps you ought to be more observant of the same.

    A girl who graduated the year before me in high school was in a car accident which left her paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair - while still in high school. She returned to school as soon as able to, and never let her disability beat her down. I guess you would have just wanted her to roll over and let life beat her down.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You truly are stupid.
    More insults. So typical and predictable.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Once again you prove yourself completely incapable of making a point or a post without insulting someone. Your hypocracy is so incredibly amazing it baffles the mind.
    How is insulting idiotboy being hypocritical? If he were truly slighted he could claim slander in which case my only defense would be the truth. I dare him.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Hey skippy, might want to learn about something there. Dr. Hawking has a form of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis which struck him after he graduated from college - as it often does. Since then he completed his doctorate and became a pre-eminent physicist despite being paralyzed, requiring around the clock care, suffering numerous infections, and requiring a wheelchair to get around.

    Here is another. At my local RMV office, the manager (who is one of the nicest folks I have ever interacted with) was born deaf, partially paralyzed, partially blind, and with a speech impediment works harder every day, excels at customer care, and knows his and everyone else's job there backwards and forwards overcame the insults, tormenting, roadblocks, difficulties, and limitations society placed on him - because he wanted to.

    A girl who graduated the year before me in high school was in a car accident which left her paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair - while still in high school. She returned to school as soon as able to, and never let her disability beat her down. I guess you would have just wanted her to roll over and let life beat her down.
    All very interesting stories. And all very compelling in their desire to overcome adversity.

    However earlier you said:

    You have more control over the events that occur in your life than anyone else.
    Did Hawking choose to have ALS? Did the RMV manager choose to be born partially deaf and paralyzed? Did your fellow HS alum choose to be hit by a car and confined to a wheelchair? I sincerely doubt the answer to any of those questions is "yes."

    I never said those who have faced adversity don't or aren't capable of overcoming. The allegory that spawned this thread assumes we all start at the same place. My point is that isn't true and that is what makes this story a simplistic example put forth by morons to reinforce a point that is mythology.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    How is insulting idiotboy being hypocritical? If he were truly slighted he could claim slander in which case my only defense would be the truth. I dare him.
    Because it wasn't more than a couple of years ago that I was telling folks to not insult you and you were whining about folks insulting you. That is how you are a hypocrate. We have had this discussion at least once before. Try to keep up.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    All very interesting stories. And all very compelling in their desire to overcome adversity.
    Instead of lay down and cry "wo is me" like you would have them do.

    But you implied that they would not be able to make that choice to move forward and should wallow in self pity. How enlightening of you. How open minded of you. Remind me to never look to you for any amount of encouragement.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Did Hawking choose to have ALS? Did the RMV manager choose to be born partially deaf and paralyzed? Did your fellow HS alum choose to be hit by a car and confined to a wheelchair? I sincerely doubt the answer to any of those questions is "yes."
    You are very bad at playing stupid, you know that was not the intent of the post.

    You may not choose what happens to you in life by way of cancer, accidents, and disabilities, ut instead of rolling over and playing dead, sucking off of the tit of government, saying give me more, give me more, I need your pity, they chose to overcome the adversity that came about in their lives. You would rather they roll over and not be productive members of society? I eagerly await your typical non-answer. As usual.

    By the way, you have not admitted that you were wrong yet about Professor Hawking. Not that I am surprised.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I never said those who have faced adversity don't or aren't capable of overcoming. The allegory that spawned this thread assumes we all start at the same place. My point is that isn't true and that is what makes this story a simplistic example put forth by morons to reinforce a point that is mythology.
    I never said we started in the same place. Nor did the original poster (please show me where he said that, because it is not there.)

    We choose what to do in our lives. Those with HIV choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives. Those with amputations choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives.

    That is the entire point I made - apparently I did not explain that clearly enough for your enlightened mind to comprehend when I tried to that in my earlier post - or you chose to play stupid again (likely the latter since you do that frequently.)

    So you got hit by a car. So you got a chronic disease. You choose what you are going to do in that moment. You choose to believe all the crap, nonsense, and tripe that because you are poor you have to stay poor. Because you are black you will never get out of Compton. Because you have lost one or two limbs you cannot do this or that. You choose to move forward or blame everyone else in the world because of where you are or end up.

    You know that is the truth, but you would rather opt to defend the continual tripe and nonsense that allows others to stay down when no one is beating or keeping them down. You keep yourself down, or you pick yourself by the proverbial boot straps and keep going.

    It is your choice, no one elses.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 05-18-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Because it wasn't more than a couple of years ago that I was telling folks to not insult you and you were whining about folks insulting you. That is how you are a hypocrate. We have had this discussion at least once before. Try to keep up.
    Point me to where I was whining. I was making the point that others complain of my insults after calling me every name in the book.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Instead of lay down and cry "wo is me" like you would have them do.
    I've never any such thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    But you implied that they would not be able to make that choice to move forward and should wallow in self pity. How enlightening of you. How open minded of you. Remind me to never look to you for any amount of encouragement.
    Please don't. Encouragement from the outside is a luxury. One must be internally capable of encouragement in order to succeed against adversity.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You are very bad at playing stupid, you know that was not the intent of the post.
    Not really. I made the point that not everyone has the same starting points which is the point of the allegory. You claimed that wasn't the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You may not choose what happens to you in life by way of cancer, accidents, and disabilities, ut instead of rolling over and playing dead, sucking off of the tit of government, saying give me more, give me more, I need your pity, they chose to overcome the adversity that came about in their lives. You would rather they roll over and not be productive members of society? I eagerly await your typical non-answer. As usual.
    You're proving my point. Let me repeat myself. I stated the point of idiotboy's story is it assumes everyone has the same starting point. I claimed that isn't the case. You've cited numerous examples proving my point. More power to all those who've triumphed over the adversity they have endured. I've never faulted anyone for that character trait. I'm sorry if you fail to understand the meaning of my statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    By the way, you have not admitted that you were wrong yet about Professor Hawking. Not that I am surprised.
    I admit I was wrong. Feel better? I confused him with someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I never said we started in the same place. Nor did the original poster (please show me where he said that, because it is not there.)
    It's easy to see for those who want to understand the allegory.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    We choose what to do in our lives. Those with HIV choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives. Those with amputations choose to wallow in self pity or continue in their lives.
    I've known individuals who've triumphed over both. Met an HIV victim who was starting a 401-K. Something he didn't think he would have to worry about since he was told he was going to die in a very near time frame at the age of 27.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    That is the entire point I made - apparently I did not explain that clearly enough for your enlightened mind to comprehend when I tried to that in my earlier post - or you chose to play stupid again (likely the latter since you do that frequently.)

    So you got hit by a car. So you got a chronic disease. You choose what you are going to do in that moment. You choose to believe all the crap, nonsense, and tripe that because you are poor you have to stay poor. Because you are black you will never get out of Compton. Because you have lost one or two limbs you cannot do this or that. You choose to move forward or blame everyone else in the world because of where you are or end up.
    All which are beyond the choices of the individual. Thanks again for proving my point.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You know that is the truth, but you would rather opt to defend the continual tripe and nonsense that allows others to stay down when no one is beating or keeping them down. You keep yourself down, or you pick yourself by the proverbial boot straps and keep going.

    It is your choice, no one elses.
    Some people don't even have boots as a starting point. What about them?
    Last edited by scfire86; 05-19-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Point me to where I was whining. I was making the point that others complain of my insults after calling me every name in the book.
    Which makes you a hypocrate. You don't insult others just because they insult you, especially when you don't like it.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I've never any such thing.
    Gonna have to clarify whatever the hell it was you were trying to say here.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Please don't. Encouragement from the outside is a luxury. One must be internally capable of encouragement in order to succeed against adversity.
    Encouragement is not a luxury. It is something you get or don't get. You either pick yourself up or move on. Dr. Hawking - sinc ehe was your example - was told all along that he would not be successful. Guess he was not getting that 'luxury." Everyone is capable of that internal "luxury" it is a matter of whether you choose to do it or not. Hence it is a personal choice. You can either let yourself be beat down, or push yourself to succeed. Your choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Not really. I made the point that not everyone has the same starting points which is the point of the allegory. You claimed that wasn't the case.
    And no one here, except you, implied that everyone had the same starting point. Once again, you choose to NOT point out in the story where that was mentioned. No one will have the same starting point, but what you choose to do with life, life's hardships, the difficulties and joys in life is an individual choice. Do you choose to stay on welfare, or do you choose to go to college? Do you choose to wallow in self pity, or do you choose to get out of the situation you are in? It is a personal choice.

    Unlike you, instead of continuing to beat a person down and tell them they cannot do it alone, I would rather push a person forward, help them up, and might even perhaps show them a way to do it. Think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You're proving my point. Let me repeat myself. I stated the point of idiotboy's story is it assumes everyone has the same starting point. I claimed that isn't the case. You've cited numerous examples proving my point. More power to all those who've triumphed over the adversity they have endured. I've never faulted anyone for that character trait. I'm sorry if you fail to understand the meaning of my statement.
    Again, what starting point in the story? There isn't one. One is a small child, and one is an adult. Both make choices or have made choices. I am sure that most homeless people were not born that way, it was a choice (to an extent) that they made, and/or continue to make.

    I do understand your point, I am just saying that you can either pick yourself up or stay down. Your choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I admit I was wrong. Feel better? I confused him with someone else.
    Now was that so difficult? I don't fell better, just wanted you to admit your error - something that I have never seen you do.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    It's easy to see for those who want to understand the allegory.
    I understood it quite well, I am still looking for where the same starting point comes into it, and why you think we believe that is what is going on here.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I've known individuals who've triumphed over both. Met an HIV victim who was starting a 401-K. Something he didn't think he would have to worry about since he was told he was going to die in a very near time frame at the age of 27.
    Thank you for proving my point. He made a choice. Imagine that. Such a novel concept.

    And HIV infected people are not "victims", they are infected with a virus.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    All which are beyond the choices of the individual. Thanks again for proving my point.
    Never said they weren't. Perhaps I need to connect the dots for you again. No one said they weren't. We said they could either choose to be kept down, be pushed down, be run over, or get up, dust themselves off, and move forward.

    Regardless of where you start off in life, you can choose where you are going to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Some people don't even have boots as a starting point. What about them?
    You find a pair of boots. And start walking. (Hopefully I do not need to explain that one to you.)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  25. #25
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Gonna have to clarify whatever the hell it was you were trying to say here.
    That happens a lot. He spins so fast even he doesn't know what he is saying


    Encouragement is not a luxury. It is something you get or don't get. You either pick yourself up or move on. Dr. Hawking - sinc ehe was your example - was told all along that he would not be successful. Guess he was not getting that 'luxury." Everyone is capable of that internal "luxury" it is a matter of whether you choose to do it or not. Hence it is a personal choice. You can either let yourself be beat down, or push yourself to succeed. Your choice.
    Actually, Doctor Hawking was my example.

    And no one here, except you, implied that everyone had the same starting point. Once again, you choose to NOT point out in the story where that was mentioned. No one will have the same starting point, but what you choose to do with life, life's hardships, the difficulties and joys in life is an individual choice. Do you choose to stay on welfare, or do you choose to go to college? Do you choose to wallow in self pity, or do you choose to get out of the situation you are in? It is a personal choice.
    Once again, I actually stated that "all men are created equal", after all, let's give credit where credit is do. And I stand by that statement. Of course, what happens to you after you are created is what determines how you succeed in life. One can choose to work hard and lift themselves up or they can blame someone else and take the low road. Granted, not all people have the same mental or physical abilities. But everyone can use their god given abilities to be the best that they can be.

    Unlike you, instead of continuing to beat a person down and tell them they cannot do it alone, I would rather push a person forward, help them up, and might even perhaps show them a way to do it. Think about it.
    I am reminded here of an excellent saying - Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach the man to fish and feed him for life.

    [/quote]Again, what starting point in the story? There isn't one. One is a small child, and one is an adult. Both make choices or have made choices. I am sure that most homeless people were not born that way, it was a choice (to an extent) that they made, and/or continue to make.[/quote]

    That is another thing I don't understand. If I go to the local DSS office and say I have no place to sleep and no food, they have to put me in a shelter and give me food. I'm inclined to believe that those who are homeless and living in the streets choose that lifestyle instead of taking the governments help.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 03:44 PM
  2. Pumper/Tanker Defined
    By ameryfd in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM
  3. "Heavy Rescue" defined
    By firemedic037 in forum Specialized Rescue
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
  4. Aerials Defined...
    By bpevans in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 05:44 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-24-2001, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register