FF/EMT

Default Need some assistance

Hello all, my department just put into service a new engine/rescue but its really an engine with one set of tools. I am looking for some ways for our low funded dept. to pick up some more rescue equipment. Our focus would really be on auto and farm extrication due to our rural location. Any sugguestions would be very helpful. Another question on this topic is our department has EMS driven upper management and any sugguestions on how to present these ideas would also be great. Thanks so much for any input and time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffcline3 View Post
    Hello all, my department just put into service a new engine/rescue but its really an engine with one set of tools. I am looking for some ways for our low funded dept. to pick up some more rescue equipment. Our focus would really be on auto and farm extrication due to our rural location. Any sugguestions would be very helpful. Another question on this topic is our department has EMS driven upper management and any sugguestions on how to present these ideas would also be great. Thanks so much for any input and time.
    Now this sounds very familiar. Yes, my department was dominated by EMS, then got into the grants and other venues of funding. With the voted in positition of grants writer was able to get access to the budget information. Things became a lot clearer then. Do the same and you'll see. Was able to turn the direction of where the spending was going and got voted in a new more fire division friendly direction. No more are purchasing decisions made and carried out under the agenda of EMS training. Purchases no longer are done without being approved at open meetings now.

Anyway, find out the percentage of your operating budget being spent on EMS and reverse it. Hey your fire division's turn is due. It's logical Mr. Spock, especially if you can increase your buying power through grants, how are they going to be able to object?

AFG is still best option, but get a logo together for your department to use on correspondence and start soliciting corporate sponsors. Works. If you can't get grant training yourself, find a grant writing expert to get you started. They can advise whether you qualify for Buffer Zone protection grants, Homeland Security grants. Your states forestry division is a great place or possibly mutual aid contacts to see if anyone has excess equipment. USDA is another source although you gotta look. Oh I forgot Wal-Marts community grants. Best option is get to a grant writing class and research and never ever be afraid to ask for the money. It actually flatters them. If the answer is no, what can they do, Eat you?

FF/EMT

thanks for the help I will see what I can do....

FF/EMT

does anyone have any ideas on some grants that would be able to benefit us and/or a good place to learn how to write grants??

MembersZone Subscriber

USDA Rural Development - Grant and low interest loan $

Forum Member

Smile

A great place to find grants and additional information about them is at Chief Supply.com
    http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/opengrants.asp
    right now my explorer post/fire company is working on composing a letter to one of the grants we found on that website. i there are 1 or 2 especialy for rural fire depts. Hope that could help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jermsFD View Post
    A great place to find grants and additional information about them is at Chief Supply.com
    http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/opengrants.asp
    right now my explorer post/fire company is working on composing a letter to one of the grants we found on that website. i there are 1 or 2 especialy for rural fire depts. Hope that could help.
    Guys you may not have heard but, I moved and CHIEF Grants is now Homeland Defense-Grants. Website being transferred this weekend hopefully. By the way my new grant training seminar schedule is posted and I am booking Agency Hosted Seminars already for this coming year out till March 2010.

http://www.homelanddefensejournal.co...s-Training.htm
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

You can try to find your local Federal Excess Property management Office--pennies on the dollar for useable equipment--attached is the Fed DRMO Homepage which will give you directions and then you should sign up for Kurt Bradleys Seminar ! He' s the man that shows you how !
    http://wex.drms.dla.mil/drmo/drmo-locations.shtml

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AdirondackCapt1 View Post
    You can try to find your local Federal Excess Property management Office--pennies on the dollar for useable equipment--attached is the Fed DRMO Homepage which will give you directions and then you should sign up for Kurt Bradleys Seminar ! He' s the man that shows you how !
    http://wex.drms.dla.mil/drmo/drmo-locations.shtml
    It is always fun to scroll thru and see what you can find there. Stuff like space vehicle launcher, space vehicle equipment and even a space vehicle...

Thread Information