Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default 90 Degree Flashlight Recommendations

I am looking to buy a rechargeable 90 degree flashlight for myself to ensure I always have one on scene (mainly for structural fires) and was needing your guys input on which brands I should look at. The main questions I have are:

Which ones offer good durability and weather resistance?

(For structural firefighting) When choosing a light source, should I go with LED or conventional lightbulbs?

Is it better to go with one that offers "Fast" charging or "Steady" charging?

Thanks for you input!
    Last edited by pewter98; 05-16-2009 at 10:12 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

MembersZone Subscriber

The only two I have used personally are the stream lights we use to only have conventional bulbs and they worked fine now we have been getting the new stream lights with the LED's and they are really nice and very rugged. Some people have complained about the push button but I have not had any problems with them at all. These are the lights that are at every riding position on our trucks and they have held up very well over the years. Now I went out and bought on my own a fire Vulken LED and it is by far the best light I have ever used. Some people don't like the bigger lights like that but this thing is so light you don't even notice it is there after you get use to it. Also rechargeable light are pretty expensive and for like 20$ or 30$ dollars more you can get the Fire Vulcan so I went with it and am very happy. Just my two cents I am sure there are many other great lights out there but I have only worked for depts. That have stream lights so I have never used any of the other oneís good luck.

Forum Member

If you get a streamlight survivor LED (Highly recommend it) I would not get a charger. Lithium batteries will last a long time and the charger just isnt worth it unless you use your light a whole lot.

Thanks for the advice guys. After researching several makes, I'm leaning more towards the Streamlight LED.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

My dept just started issuing the Streamlight Survivor LED rechargables. They work great, except I haven't gotten the chance to use one in smoke yet. Can anyone comment on how well it does or does not cut through smoke?

I have used the responder ra and the big ed. I wasn't a fan of the responder, the face would always unscrew and the flashlight would fall apart, also the on and off button would regularly get jammed. I love my pelican big ed, I am pretty sure it is the brightest right angle flashlight you can get, the incandescent bulb seems to work better then the LED when cutting through smoke. The Led lights i have used just seem to light up the smoke around the light as opposed to the big eds light that shines through the smoke. As far as getting a charger, It really depends on how fast you need to charge it. I went with a trickle charger and i just leave my flashlight charging when i'm between shifts.

I love my Responder RA light. Came with 2 spare bulbs and bulbs for life. I have had no durability issues what so ever with the light. I would buy one again if I had to.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

We have several of the incandesent Streamlights Suvivors and then I just bought an LED Streamlight and the LED just reflects more light back at you when your in a smoky enviorment. So, I gave away my LED and went back to carrying the old incandesent Streamlight. You can not beat it.

Thread Information