Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help

Forum Member

Default Need Help

My fire department runs an ambulance and I am wondering if I should include everything regarding it in the application. What I mean is that things such as the average operating budget as well as the % of the budget is derived from taxes, grants, fees from service will be completely different if we include the ambulance in the application.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it is a fire department ambulance and not a seperate entity then you have to include it in your application. You can list EMS as a line item in your budget, in the financial need section of your narrative.

Forum Member

ok but what about parts of the application where we can't provide the correct information? We are a volunteer fire department and run paid ems, under the department characteristics it asks what kind of organization are you, do we put combination since there is paid ems or do we put volunteer since our firefighters are all volunteer?

*also our ambulance provides service to another town as well, so under primary response area do we include that town as well or only the primary response area for our fire department?
    Last edited by Fire134; 05-18-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Forum Member

So, do you mean your ems crew is 'paid per call'? Or do you mean you charge for your ems runs? Paid per call I believe is still considered volunteer.

Forum Member

If EMS is salaried, then your a 'combination' department. However if you have salaried EMS, usually there is 3 or 4 salaried firemen as well. I still have a suspicion your designation is 'volunteer' though.

Forum Member

Ems is paid, fire is volunteer. What i'm getting confused about is on parts of the application such as primary response area, our fire department only covers one town while our ambulance covers two. Since there is no way to differentiate between the two on the application should we list only our fire primary response area or list both towns as our response area since our ambulance is part of our fire department?

List fire. I've had a few similar situations. If you are applying for firefighting equipment only, the computer should score you on your fire stats. If you need EMS equipment, that's a different story.

Best thing to do is always check with your FPS in writing to clarify, but Ambulances covering multiple fire district is a lot different than your fire stats. Since the call volume wants to know about your FIRE district, your other data should be the same as well.

If you can't get a prompt reply in writing from the FPS, drop a sentence at the bottom of your narrative explaining your statistical data. Covers your ***.

Thread Information