First, my apologies if this has been discussed before, I've tried to search old threads, but no matter what I search, I get about 1400 threads, ranging from Chicago Fire Exams to Brush Truck specs, with nothing relevant to me that I can find.

I was given an old Cairns N5A New Yorker. I want to fix it up, repaint it, and all that jazz. I've started to remove all the hardware in prep for painting, but the bolts that stick out the front and secure the shield, approx 3-4 inches below the eagle are giving me trouble. What is the best way to remove them? It seems that in order to remove them, I'll have to take out the impact cap. How do I go about this?

One of the bolts has been snapped, so that there is only about 3 threads (1 or 2 mm) sticking out past the leather, rendering it useless. I've searched the Cairns website, along with outfits like thefirestore.com, but have been unable to find anything to replace that piece. Does anyone fabricate this? Or would I be better off just hitting up my local hardware store and finding a replacement?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be a huge help. Many thanks in advance, and stay safe.