1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default CPAT Training Regimen

    Prepping for a CPAT I'll be taking this summer and I came up with a cardio routine I wanted to test out, and was looking for some feedback..am I on the right track? not doing enough? too much? at all repetitive? (this would be in addition to my normal weight training as well):

    3min30sec on the stepmill @ 60 steps/min w/75lbs vest
    drop weight to 50, do 15 push ups with vest on
    do one set of forearm exercise

    right back onto stepmill

    4minutes on the stepmill @ 60 steps/min w/50lbs vest
    drop weight completely, do 40 push ups
    do one set of forearm exercises

    walk to seperate area of my gym, shouldn't take more than 20 seconds then go into
    25 squat thrusts
    25 dumbbell swings w/ either 10lbs or 15lbs dumbbell
    25 jumping jacks
    2min jump rope

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Prepping for a CPAT I'll be taking this summer and I came up with a cardio routine I wanted to test out, and was looking for some feedback..am I on the right track? not doing enough? too much? at all repetitive? (this would be in addition to my normal weight training as well):

    3min30sec on the stepmill @ 60 steps/min w/75lbs vest
    drop weight to 50, do 15 push ups with vest on
    do one set of forearm exercise

    right back onto stepmill

    4minutes on the stepmill @ 60 steps/min w/50lbs vest
    drop weight completely, do 40 push ups
    do one set of forearm exercises

    walk to seperate area of my gym, shouldn't take more than 20 seconds then go into
    25 squat thrusts
    25 dumbbell swings w/ either 10lbs or 15lbs dumbbell
    25 jumping jacks
    2min jump rope

    Any thoughts?
    Everyone I talk too says that building endurance is priority. Think of it, if your legs are gone then how you are going to move and get to the next event. Is the quads burning?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Latta, SC
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up

    If you can do all that straight through, go for it! Sounds pretty tough to me? It should get you in shape for something.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    hefightsfire99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    161

    Default

    I'd say the focus on the Stepmill is good as it seems to be what people struggle most with. If you can complete both of those cycles in one workout your stamina ought to be fine by the time you take CPAT.

    What does your overall program look like?

    I'd suggest utilizing some other tasks that mimic the CPAT events. Let me know if I can help. PM or email me.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    I'd say the focus on the Stepmill is good as it seems to be what people struggle most with. If you can complete both of those cycles in one workout your stamina ought to be fine by the time you take CPAT.

    What does your overall program look like?

    I'd suggest utilizing some other tasks that mimic the CPAT events. Let me know if I can help. PM or email me.
    I was able to complete both cycles. I was a little winded by the time I finished the second phase but now would like to try and work up to either repeating the second part, or adding some other stuff in.

    As far as my overall program I'll try to keep it short and to the point:
    mon-legs/shoulders/abs & core
    tues- back and bi's, step mill with 50lb vest, elliptical machine also (try to take it easy with the cardio on tues since my legs are feeling it from mon).
    weds-off
    thurs-chest & tris, some abs and the cardio schedule i started this thread with
    sat- work on body weight exercises, push ups, chin ups, pull ups (trying to work on this, for now can only do 1 or 2), and dips. then some variation of the cardio routine that started the thread.


    as far as exercises i do that i think are some what cpat oriented: straight legged deadlifts, bent over kneeling row, core exercise with a medicine ball for the forceable entry,shoulder press, push ups.


    i'll do forearm exercises at home, not on a strict schedule, maybe while im watching tv or something. i try to work on them at least twice a week.

    i feel like im strong enough to get through the parts you can "muscle up" on the CPAT. My only concern was making sure my cardio was up to snuff. From reading the various threads I can see you want to train for the academy, not the CPAT. So I'm keeping that in mind as well, but with the CPAT around the corner I want to focus in now. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    hefightsfire99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Honestly it looks like you are hitting all the angles. Keep going all out with the StepMill and I think the rest of your program will take you through without a hitch.

    If you have access to a Rescue Randy getting the feel for it could be of benefit too. Other than that brother I think your gonna knock it out.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    Honestly it looks like you are hitting all the angles. Keep going all out with the StepMill and I think the rest of your program will take you through without a hitch.

    If you have access to a Rescue Randy getting the feel for it could be of benefit too. Other than that brother I think your gonna knock it out.

    Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. I'll keep up with the current program and see where that takes me.

    I do not have access to a rescue randy. I was considering trying to walk with dumbbells as a practice for this part of the exam. The CPAT uses a 165lb dummy or 180? Would you recommend trying to walk with maybe 70lb dumbbells in each arm? Would that be of any use for this event? The CPAT prep guides I've read recommend working on your legs for this event but I assume it'll also be a test of your grip as well.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    88

    Default

    I took the CPAT yesterday for the first time ever, and passed. Is the test you're taking pass/fail, or will time be factored into the selection process? I finished in 9:41, but with plenty of energy left. Here are some of the exercises that were recommended to me, and some I did on my own.

    Ceiling Breach: Use a 45 lb. bar, pushing upward (like with a pike pole). I added ten pounds to the upward side of it, and did 2-3 sets of 16 (3 pushes, 5 pulls=8 reps, so this mimics 2 sets of this event). You can use your legs if you'd like, but focusing on doing it with just your arms will make the test event easy as hell.

    Dummy Drag: Isometric Curls. Basically, put some weight on a bar (I used 65 lbs.), and curl, but come up about halfway (elbows at 90 degress). Hold this for 30 seconds. Do as many reps as you can. Alternatively, do regular curls with a larger amount of weight. Being able to get that dummy up will be the biggest thing.

    Overall endurance: I was running 3-4 miles with a 20 lb. vest, but it was hard on my knees, so I switched to running up steep hills with it, which works your calves. Occasionally, I would add 25 pounds in a bookbag, and repeat this for 20-25 minutes. A multi-story parking deck is good for this too. Also, backwards sprints (in the grass, because you'll fall at least once), are gret for the quads. You've got the right idea by breaking up the leg work with upper body exercises, as this is what the test is like.

    There are a couple exercises I did for the stair climb, using a 20lb. vest and my bunker pants (full of tools), but you've got the actual setup, so you're ahead of where I was in training. Good luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    hefightsfire99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    161

    Default

    The CPAT Rescue Randy is 165lbs.

    A farmer's walk with dumbbells will really help your grip but I'd still look for something more to help you get used to actually dragging. I think even a heavy tractor tire tied up with some webbing might work. You can get one for free or really cheap from any tire place that does tractor work. It will be more awkward than the Rescue Randy but if you tie the webbing right it could be close.

    Some good ideas there battlecomedown.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    88

    Default

    The isometric curls and the ceiling breach exercise were recommended by the Charlotte Fire Department, during this year's hiring process. The trainer told us that there are many CPAT fitness regimen programs online, but many of them are not event specific, and are more geared toward overall fitness.

    One of the best exercises for grip strength is to buy a sport grip. They're made with various resistances, and really help build forearm/grip strength.

    Also, you can never go wrong with traditional push-ups and pull-ups!

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by battlecomedown View Post
    The isometric curls and the ceiling breach exercise were recommended by the Charlotte Fire Department, during this year's hiring process. The trainer told us that there are many CPAT fitness regimen programs online, but many of them are not event specific, and are more geared toward overall fitness.

    One of the best exercises for grip strength is to buy a sport grip. They're made with various resistances, and really help build forearm/grip strength.

    Also, you can never go wrong with traditional push-ups and pull-ups!
    battle, thanks for the input. the back peddling seems like it would help with balance as well as work the quads. I should give that a try. With the classes starting soon, and the test less than 2 months away I'd like to try working in more event specific exericses, as well as overall fitness. I'm going to give the ceiling breach exercise you recommended a try on saturday.

    You said this was your first CPAT, did you get to try out any of the events before hand? good luck with the rest of the stages in your process.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Charlotte held an open house in February at Station 10, where four of the events were set up for applicants to practice (dummy drag, stair climb, equipment carry and hose pull), as well as a full orientation session in April, where we were allowed to walk through all eight events, minus the vest. It definitely helped me decide what course of training to take.

    Overall, Charlotte has been incredibly accomodating throughout its hiring process, and the fact that some will fail the CPAT, after the outreach that's been made, and the three attempts everyone is given (Final CPAT scheduled in mid-June) to pass, is ridiculous.

    Good luck with your process as well. What department are you applying for?

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by battlecomedown View Post
    Charlotte held an open house in February at Station 10, where four of the events were set up for applicants to practice (dummy drag, stair climb, equipment carry and hose pull), as well as a full orientation session in April, where we were allowed to walk through all eight events, minus the vest. It definitely helped me decide what course of training to take.

    Overall, Charlotte has been incredibly accomodating throughout its hiring process, and the fact that some will fail the CPAT, after the outreach that's been made, and the three attempts everyone is given (Final CPAT scheduled in mid-June) to pass, is ridiculous.

    Good luck with your process as well. What department are you applying for?
    I agree with you in regards to failing the CPAT. Two orientations, and 2 practice tests which count if you pass, plus the actual test...if you can't do it in under 10:20 by then, the academy might actually kill you lol.

    I switched up my routine a bit today to try and do a little more CPAT specific stuff. Still did the step mill process, then did:

    25 squat thrusts
    25 dumbbell swings w/ a 15lb weight
    25 jumping jacks
    25 what I call "core turns" simulating the forceable entry movement with a 9lb weight
    24 ceiling breach and pull (3 up/5down=8, which was 1 set) with a 50lb curl bar.
    2min jump rope

    being as objective as possible, the breach and pull's were pretty bad lol. I was pretty gassed by that point, but it was good to see what I should work on. I saw what you meant about the arms, felt like shoulders and upper chest were big on this event. Will keep at it!

    I'm gearing up for the Norwalk exam. Still haven't taken the written yet (june 30th) but the first CPAT practice test is july 11th so I've gotta prep for both.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I agree with you in regards to failing the CPAT. Two orientations, and 2 practice tests which count if you pass, plus the actual test...if you can't do it in under 10:20 by then, the academy might actually kill you lol.

    I switched up my routine a bit today to try and do a little more CPAT specific stuff. Still did the step mill process, then did:

    25 squat thrusts
    25 dumbbell swings w/ a 15lb weight
    25 jumping jacks
    25 what I call "core turns" simulating the forceable entry movement with a 9lb weight
    24 ceiling breach and pull (3 up/5down=8, which was 1 set) with a 50lb curl bar.
    2min jump rope

    being as objective as possible, the breach and pull's were pretty bad lol. I was pretty gassed by that point, but it was good to see what I should work on. I saw what you meant about the arms, felt like shoulders and upper chest were big on this event. Will keep at it!

    I'm gearing up for the Norwalk exam. Still haven't taken the written yet (june 30th) but the first CPAT practice test is july 11th so I've gotta prep for both.

    How long did it take you to complete this routine? I would suggest doing the exact same program for 15 minutes. Count how many rounds you can do in the time allotted. That will test your endurance level.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default CPAT prep

    For overall long term fitness I would worry a lot more about cardio than grip or any of the other stuff.

    Hit that stepmill for at least 25 minutes 3 days a week, do some running(without the weight vest), push ups, pull ups.

    Id prep for an academy not the CPAT. Thats how I'm approaching it. Coming in with a background in cycling and endurance fitness I trained with some weights and mostly stairstepper and pullups/pushups and got a 7:35 without practice first time. I can tell you that cardio was the factor.

    In the FF prep pamphlets that I have from both LA and Portland fire fitness focuses on running, cardio capabilities. It doesn't matter if your the hulk, if you are worn out from running you wont even be able to lift your arms.

    most departments have a prep guide for the academy. Try and get your hands on one of those and follow that, youll be ready for the CPAT when its time, and be getting ready for the academy. The only thing I would have changed from my own prep was more sprint workouts to try to be faster. But time doesn't really matter at the CPAT, as long as your under 10:20 your cool. If your near that limit though, you know you have some work to do to be ready.

    hope this helps, fitness is kinda my thing

    h

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going to bring a stop watch and see how many revolutions I can do within the 15 minutes. I've gotten away from the squat thrusts a bit because I think it may be a little too much on my knees. Between the stairs and jump rope I've noticed my form on the squat thrusts slips as you get more tired and it's putting pressure on my knees. I've tried to encorporate the breach & pull, and carrying two 80lb dumbbells 50ft to make up for this. I don't want to make the workout any easier, I just want to give it a little more variation.

    My first practice run is July 11th, do you think I should ditch the weights for the next three weeks and just do pull/chin/push ups, dips, some abs & core, as well as the cardio stuff? Getting away from weights for 3 weeks would be odd for me since I actually do enjoy working out, but at this point I'm worried about nailing the CPAT, not how much I can curl. Thanks again guys.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    alright, here was todays workout:

    strip 5 pull ups (5 pull ups, count to 5, 4 pull ups count to 4...and so on)
    strip 6 chin ups same theory (this helped me build up my push ups so i figured id give it a shot)

    dips: 3 sets of 10 reps


    3:30sec @60steps a min w/75lbs
    15 push ups w/50lbs weight
    4:00 @60 steps a min w/50lbs weight
    40 push ups with no added weight

    here was my circut for the day done over 17min 26 seconds
    25 jumping jacks
    25 dumbbell swings w/15lb dumbbell
    25 crunches
    22 core turns (forceable entry, 11 going each way right & left) w/15lbs dumbbell
    12 breach & pull w/50lbs curl bar
    2min jump rope

    I got through 3 full sets of the circut, and 25 jumping jacks, 25 dumbbell swings on my 4th turn through. I was pretty tired/winded. I had hoped to get through 4 but maybe 6 minutes of jump rope made that a little tough this time through. So my immediate goal will be 4 full sets. Any thoughts? Critiques?

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    looks like you'll be in shape for short explosive actions, only thing I can see you may need is longer distance cardio(for the academy), but probably not for the CPAT. Your an animal it looks awesome, way to be.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Thanks hammer. Timing the circut and adding the breach & pull I think really helped a lot. I was going to do some sprints outside (if the weather permits. it's rained here for what feels like a month straight). But I'm thinking maybe I should try and work on long distance cardio because I definitely know I'll need to shape up better in that area. I hate running but I need to suck it up.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    heres a running plan I've used hope it helps

    DAY 1: 40-50 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 2: 15 min warm up, 4-6 1/4 mi hill (REPEATS)
    DAY 3: 30 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 4: 15 min warm up, 3*.25 mi, 3*.12mi, 2*100 yard, 2*50 yard, 10 min cool down -all on flat ground
    DAY 5: 30 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 6: 50 min (EP)
    DAY 7: 30 min (EP), calisthenics after run
    DAY 8: 15 min warm up, 3*.25 mi, 3*.12mi, 2*100 yard, 2*50 yard, 10 min cool down -all on hills
    DAY 9: 30 min (EP), calisthenics after run
    DAY 10: 10 min (EP), 25 min (T), 5 min cool down
    DAY 11: 40-50 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 12: 15 (EP), 4-6 .25mi hill (REPEATS), 10 min cool down
    DAY 13: 30 min (EP), calisthenics after run
    DAY 14: 20 min (EP), (REPEATS)3*.25 mi, 3*.12mi, 2*100 yard, 2*50 yard, 10 min cool down -
    DAY 15: 35 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 16: 55 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 17: 35 min (EP)
    DAY 18: 15 min (EP), (REPEATS) 5-7*.25 mi hills, 1*.12 mi hill, 2*100 yd hill, 10 min cool down
    DAY 19:35 min (EP), calisthenics after run
    DAY 20: 10 min (EP), 30 min (T), 5 min cool down
    DAY 21: 40-50 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 22: 15 min (EP), (REPEATS) 4*.25mi hill, 3*.12mi hills, 10 min (EP)
    DAY 23:35 min (EP), calisthenics after run
    DAY 24: 45-55 min (EP), 3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)
    DAY 25: 20 min (EP), 20 min (T), 10 min (EP)

    (EP)- easy pace runs, running at a pace that you could carrry on a conversation
    3 sets of (P) (D) (C) (PU)- sets of push ups, dips, crunches, pull ups (Note i left out sometimes they say incline, flat, and decline but I try to do them all depending how I fell so use as you like)
    (REPEATS)- intervals run at a fast pace and completed within a few seconds of each other. You should try to run the last one as fast as the first.
    (Calisthenics)-anything of your choice but do them after running.
    (T)- Tempo run, these are run at a pace that is slightly uncomfortable.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Matty thanks for the detailed post. I'm pretty lost when it comes to building up running endurance so I'll definitely be following your guideline. You using this for the FDNY test?

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    that is the running plan they give you at the medical (I had to go back to do the stair master) the reason its a 25 day plan is because thats the time they give you to come back. I've just been getting back into serious training I already passed everything but will have to go back to do the medical since it expired. I try to run at night and hit the gym in the morning doing some weight training and elliptical/stair master i take days off as needed or may just do a half day. The CPAT is a joke anyone can pass it and you will be able to go down to the rock to run through the course a few times before you take it you should be more worried about the medical/academy

    any questions feel free

    Matty

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    good stuff matty. better hit it hard and be optimistic!

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    ok, I did my first actual running outside...I guess the results were what I expected...I did .50 of a mile in 4:30. Like a few of you mentioned my short burst cardio stamina was good, but my long-distance was subpar. Considering this was the first time I tried any sort of outdoor running since I was at babe ruth baseball practice 11 years ago, lol. I did sprints straight into push ups the other .50 back. So I guess that's my starting point. Did I mention how crazy I think people who like to run are? lol

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    433

    Default Cpat

    CrossFit...PERIOD!!!! Nothing compares, nothing is better suited for firefighters and firefighter candidates.

    WHEN...(when!) do firefighters in active combat situations use isolation movments? The answer...NEVER!

    If you're doing split routines (chest tri's, back and bi's) followed by a little "cardio" (usually a 20-40 minute jaunt on the treadmill) you are wasting your time!

    The CPAT "routines" on here are decent, but are often singular and thus become boring.

    CrossFit prepares you for the "unknown and unknowable". Do it for a few months, and you will discover the CPAT is a joke!

    http://www.crossfit.com

    Google "Crossfit+(your hometown)" and check out a CF gym. First workout is always free.

    I guarantee anyone on this board...if you join a CF gym for a month, you will NEVER go back.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with my training regimen for FF Combat Challenge!!
    By hardyff837 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
  2. CPAT Training Locations in Florida?
    By jdkelley in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
  3. CPAT Rescue training?
    By Indyfiregirl30 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 12:44 AM
  4. New Britain Training Women For CPAT?
    By sparky472 in forum Connecticut
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 06:14 PM
  5. Who is training for CPAT or Challenge?
    By MrFreeze in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register