Thread: Degree question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Degree question

I am a FF/EMT looking to further my education with a college degree. There are three programs I am looking at right now, but not sure which one would be more beneficial. They are:

Fire Science Technology
    Fire Mgmnt
    Paramedic Technology

All are AAS Degrees. I do plan on being a Paramedic on day, and also know the Fire science or management degrees would help me with advancement down the road as well.

Any input? Thanks

Forum Member

Dude, just my 2c but go for the paramedic!
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT
    Valley Grove Vol. Fire Department

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Professional in either role.

MembersZone Subscriber

Get your paramedic, As for a college degree get something that is useful like a management degree. Fire science is a joke degree, your State Fire Marshal will teach you all of that in the regular firefighting and fire officer classes. OUTSIDE THE FIRESERVICE YOU WON'T GET A DOG CATCHER JOB WITH A FIRE SCIENCE DEGREE.
    Get an education that will do something for you after your done in the fireservice as well as helping you advance within the fire service. A business management degree will do that. Or if you want a municipal or public management degree, you can be a city manager.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    Get your paramedic, As for a college degree get something that is useful like a management degree. Fire science is a joke degree, your State Fire Marshal will teach you all of that in the regular firefighting and fire officer classes. OUTSIDE THE FIRESERVICE YOU WON'T GET A DOG CATCHER JOB WITH A FIRE SCIENCE DEGREE.
    Get an education that will do something for you after your done in the fireservice as well as helping you advance within the fire service. A business management degree will do that. Or if you want a municipal or public management degree, you can be a city manager.
    Yeah I have been debating that. I already have a job in the fire service, so why not get a degree that might help me with a second job/profession. It makes sense. Although I would probably enjoy the fire science degree more, and might learn something new to better me in my fire service job.

Forum Member

So just get a two year in Fire Science and then finish your 4 year in business or something. Does you dept pay for school?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kgain25 View Post
    Yeah I have been debating that. I already have a job in the fire service, so why not get a degree that might help me with a second job/profession. It makes sense. Although I would probably enjoy the fire science degree more, and might learn something new to better me in my fire service job.
    It will vary by location. Here, being a Paramedic does nothing for you in reality, as we are only BLS trucks. A fire science degree nets you the management, leadership and other administrative classes that are looked at when it is time for promotion.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information