Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    Ok so i dont get this.
    Marion makes cabs for Spartan, then Spartan sells the cabs back to Marion to build a fire truck.
    Why doesent Marion just build there own custom chassis.
    A cab is just that, a shell of the cab.

The chassis is the entire thing, the drive train, axles, powertrain, wheels, frame, the finished cab...everything.

Marion is a body builder and fabricator. They build the cab shells for the chassis companies and then the actual chassis manufacturer installs them on their chassis and fits and finishs them for the end user.

My guess is Marion ships the shells on a flatbed to the Spartan or HME plant and they bear very little resemblance to a final fire truck.

Its a real big deal to make the entire chassis, it requires extensive engineering and I would guess that Marion is happy to bend aluminum for the chassis manufacturers and leave the rest to Spartan or HME.

I have heard very good things about Marion but personally wasnt too impressed with their trucks at FDIC. I know that they only build what people tell them too, but it seemed like alot of wasted space and alot of things that were sort of wierd.

Can you get Marion rescue bodies without that goofy *** ambulance door on the side? I don't know what it is about them, I just dont like the look of it I guess. Well and its taking up compartment space.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

A pair of well planned Marion rescue squads wrth researching is Berwyn Heights and Morningside, both in PG county. May be worth looking into.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    A pair of well planned Marion rescue squads wrth researching is Berwyn Heights and Morningside, both in PG county. May be worth looking into.
    Forgot about berwyns squad. That is a pretty nice squad I do like theirs.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Marion does offer their own chassis, the Predator chassis

http://fireandrescue.marionbody.com/?page_id=32

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    Marion does offer their own chassis, the Predator chassis

http://fireandrescue.marionbody.com/?page_id=32
    That is obviously a re-badged Spartan Metro Star. It looks like Marion reconfigured it to be a two door cab for walk-in style rescues.

It might say Marion and they may have fabricated the cab (as they do other Spartans), but it's still a Spartan chassis.

As far as Marion themselves... Like many others here I have heard nothing but good things about them.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Default squad

We took delivery of a rescue squad in dec. From everything that I have seen it has been a good experience with Marion. The fit and finish is quite good, when we asked for a small walk-in for our cascade system they didnt have a problem with building it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Forgot about berwyns squad. That is a pretty nice squad I do like theirs.
    Is that because it doesn't have that "Goofy *** ambulance door" on it? or is it because it is HUGE?

And yes, you can get it any way you want it...that's the beauty of a custom fire apparatus builder.

Default That goofy @$$ed anbulance door.

Now I do agree they do waste a compartment. I am guessing that the customers (manufacturers or dealers) who specify it want thier crews to be able to exit on the curbside of the truck as well as the rear. They may also want to have a second means of egress incase of emergency and be building code compliant because thier unit is bigger than a house.

The thing that confuses me about Marion is what is the difference between a Combination Rescue and a Rescue Squad? I am sure there is nome 47 digit NIMS ICS classification for each type of unit. In some places a squad is an ambulance, or a rescue is an ambulance, and the squad is the rescuue truck, or maybe the squad is a small people carrier like a SUV or crew cab pick up. Then to throw in a combination rescue too? Arrrgh!?!
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

After looking at their literature, i would guess that they call a non walk in body a "rescue", a walk in body a "rescue squad", and a "combination" a conglomeration of the two. Maybe its a regional thing?

Many pics of their combination trucks show a side door in the body but no door in the rear. it looks like they can configure the rear of their combination bodies to be laid out like the rear of a non walk in while the front is laid out like a walk in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    The thing that confuses me about Marion is what is the difference between a Combination Rescue and a Rescue Squad? I am sure there is nome 47 digit NIMS ICS classification for each type of unit. In some places a squad is an ambulance, or a rescue is an ambulance, and the squad is the rescuue truck, or maybe the squad is a small people carrier like a SUV or crew cab pick up. Then to throw in a combination rescue too? Arrrgh!?!
    That would be NIMS form ICS-218, probably also found on ICS 020-1, and defined in ICS 010-1. But who cares, right?!?

I think it is a regional thing, anyone care to chime in? In my region, a rescue is a rescue, I don't care if you have a door in the roof, and have to climb a ladder down the front of the cab to get out. If anyone were to do this, I guess it could be called a "Amazingly Stupid" Rescue.

Catch all?,hehe T.C.

Thread Information