Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Marion Body Works

Does anyone on here have any experience working with Marion Body Works of Marion, Wisconsin? Any experiences with their apparatus, good or bad? Are they well built, and is the company easy to work with? Any major paint/corrosion issues (we've had issues with our last 2 purchases from other manufacturers)? I've also heard they build Spartan's custom chassis, is this true?

We were quite impressed with their RPM (Rescue Pumper) that was just brought out this year, and are in the early stages of researching the company.

I know it's alot of questions, but any experiences shared would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

42truck,
    We Have A 1999 Rescue That Was Built By Marion Body Works. The Vehicle Is Working Good And No Paint Peeling Or Rust. We Are In Wisconsin Weather. Marion Was The Only One That Want To Work With Us On A 3 Door Cab Setup. Have Always Had Good Luck When Something Went Wrong. They Do Build A Good Truck. It Is Solid. I'm Not Sure What The Price Are Anymore But They Were A Little Higher Than Others, But They Would Work With Us. They Take The Time To Talk With You About The Truck. If You Would Like I Can Send You Some Pictures Of Our Truck.

Forum Member

Marion builds a good, solid truck. We received a bid from them for our 2007 CAFS Pumper bid, however we chose another builder, but Marion was definitely number two. Their salesman was very knowledgeable, gave us answers to our questions when he knew them, and researched answers when he did not. I would have no problem going back to them in the future.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I've also heard they build Spartan's custom chassis, is this true?
    Marion does build the cabs for Spartan. Spartan doesn't actually "build" anything, they just assemble all the pieces that they have others "build" for them. Clear as mud?
    Having said that, Spartan is a top notch company IMO.

Forum Member

VanIsle,

I would agree with you on a Spartan chassis being a good product. We have an early '90's Gladiator. While being bare bones, it is also basically bulletproof. In my mind, for Marion to build the "body" of the Spartan chassis, would speak well of their manufacturing ability and commitment to quality.

As with any manufacturer (even the "Big P" ), there will more than likely be problems at some point, especially with a life expectancy of at least 20 years (in our case) on a piece of apparatus.

In sales you hear that one dissatisfied customer makes more "noise" than 10 satisfied customers, so it's good to hear some good experiences as well as the bad. Thanks for your replies.

MembersZone Subscriber

While we never received much interest up this way from Marion, all the apparatus I've seen from them has been solid and impressive. We're very happy with our Toyne, but would have been happy to entertain a bid from Marion.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Only a handful of Marions in my area, but they all seem to be well constructed with good fit-and-finish. They generally have a good reputation in the industry.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

RFDACM02,

I'm happy for you and your good experience with Toyne. I spoke about your rescue pumper at length with Mike Watts at the Harrisburg Expo. From what I've seen of it through photos and specs, it's an impressive and well thought out piece. It's also good to hear of quality experiences with regional builders. That is what I am after. I am trying to bring a few more options to our apparatus committee's table. For us, Marion is an viable option because they have a dealer in our area, and because it seems that they build quality apparatus. We've been burned in the past by a two manufacturer apparatus, so the company would have to "knock our socks off" for us to consider something besides one of the big boys (sole source manufacturing). I myself, would love to look around some, but I am only one of many on the committee. That's why I want to do my homework on a couple of regional builders. Thanks for your replies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    Marion does build the cabs for Spartan. Spartan doesn't actually "build" anything, they just assemble all the pieces that they have others "build" for them. Clear as mud?
    Having said that, Spartan is a top notch company IMO.
    According to our HME rep, they are now using Marion to build their cabs as well.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

next thing you know Pierce will use Marion for cabs too.

Forum Member

We just took delivery of a Marion pumper tanker last summer. So far so good. Pics at www.valleyforgefireco.com Give me a shout if you'd like any more info.

We did a pre construction meeting at the factory and while it was a lot of work, it was a great experience and the whole team from Marion was there to help. Shane Krueger is a great guy, and really knows his stuff.

Forum Member

they also used to build bodies for Aerialscope.

heres an example:
    scroll down the page a bit
    http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn/e211.htm

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic20 View Post
    they also used to build bodies for Aerialscope.

heres an example:
    scroll down the page a bit
    http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn/e211.htm
    That's a one-of-a-kind rig, they didn't routinely build Scope bodies.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Ok so i dont get this.
    Marion makes cabs for Spartan, then Spartan sells the cabs back to Marion to build a fire truck.
    Why doesent Marion just build there own custom chassis.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    That's a one-of-a-kind rig, they didn't routinely build Scope bodies.
    Sorry to disappoint, but i think they must have since there's dozens of them on the fdnytrucks webpages. It certainly wasn't a one of a kind thing.

Forum Member

Talking marion body

attached is a pic of our newest marion.

we have a 2006 and a 1991.

some of you have seen these pics before but i cant help myself

attached also is a pic of our 1991.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Default Top notch

Marion builds great trucks good quality and the factory realy cares about the needs of the department involved. My Department has a 1989 Mack Marion rescue with no issues at all in the last 20 years of service and the body looks like new today. We also have a 1997 HME Marion Pumper with no issues. The salesman here in CT is well known for his insight and knowledge and has built a ton of trucks in CT for small towns and cities alike. We are currently specing and new pumper, and it will most likly go to Marion. We have found they may not be low bid, but are below the majority of the bids recived and build a real craftsman quality truck.

Aaron Hodge
    Roxbury CT FD

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 1996 Marion on a Duplex Chassis. Great body - Chassis Sucks!!!!

They also custom built the body to our requirements, which with hind-sight always being 20/20... WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!?!?!?

Funny story about the quality of the rig...

shortly after it was delivered, an engine crew was transferring to a Burlington City firehouse while they were on a job and the driver didn't fully close the high-side flip up door. The truck went through the building with the door taking out the entire column between the bays causing a good deal of structural damage to the building. The driver stopped the truck, reclosed the compartment door, and off the the run they went.

Last edited by laddertruckgoes; 05-29-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

That thing sure doesn't look like 94
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Default Marion Body Works

I just picked up our new Rescue Squad from then on the 29th.

They do make the cabs for Spartan & HME.

They also make the complete body of their trucks.

When I inspected our unit there was only 2 small things wrong and they took care of those right away. (shelving)

The company was great to work with. We had a preconstruction meeting, after the award was made, to make sure everything would fit were WE wanted it and function the way WE wanted it to. During that meeting we found we needed to make some changes to the door opening heights for everything to fit.

During construction they post pictures on their web site for your company to monitor. If you see an issue they are just an e-mail or phone call away.

They are a top notch group to work with.

We are having the company we purchased the unit from stripe & letter the unit. Then going to Amkus for their work. Once we get it back Iíll post some pictures.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    Ok so i dont get this.
    Marion makes cabs for Spartan, then Spartan sells the cabs back to Marion to build a fire truck.
    Why doesent Marion just build there own custom chassis.
    A cab is just that, a shell of the cab.

The chassis is the entire thing, the drive train, axles, powertrain, wheels, frame, the finished cab...everything.

Marion is a body builder and fabricator. They build the cab shells for the chassis companies and then the actual chassis manufacturer installs them on their chassis and fits and finishs them for the end user.

My guess is Marion ships the shells on a flatbed to the Spartan or HME plant and they bear very little resemblance to a final fire truck.

Its a real big deal to make the entire chassis, it requires extensive engineering and I would guess that Marion is happy to bend aluminum for the chassis manufacturers and leave the rest to Spartan or HME.

Forum Member

I have heard very good things about Marion but personally wasnt too impressed with their trucks at FDIC. I know that they only build what people tell them too, but it seemed like alot of wasted space and alot of things that were sort of wierd.

Can you get Marion rescue bodies without that goofy *** ambulance door on the side? I don't know what it is about them, I just dont like the look of it I guess. Well and its taking up compartment space.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

A pair of well planned Marion rescue squads wrth researching is Berwyn Heights and Morningside, both in PG county. May be worth looking into.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    A pair of well planned Marion rescue squads wrth researching is Berwyn Heights and Morningside, both in PG county. May be worth looking into.
    Forgot about berwyns squad. That is a pretty nice squad I do like theirs.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Marion does offer their own chassis, the Predator chassis

http://fireandrescue.marionbody.com/?page_id=32

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information