MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Worst Drivers In The Usa

Oh My (BEEP)! Can't You Drive?!

New statistics show that Americans are not safe drivers

By TOM DUERR Updated 3:15 PM EDT, Fri, May 22, 2009

Americans can't drive anymore, and now we have stats to back up that claim.

Texting behind the wheel.

Racing up behind you to try to get you to drive faster.

Cutting you off only to drive 10 mph below the speed limit once in front of you.

We have all seen something we'd describe as the "worst driving ever," like that guy you saw yesterday eating a burrito and sending a fax while driving with his knees, and you wonder, does anyone know how to drive anymore?

The answer to that question may be "no," according to the results of a study released Friday by GMAC Insurance.

The 2009 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test found that 20.1 percent of licensed drivers would not pass a written drivers' exam if taken today. In fact, the test revealed that drivers seem to have a problem correctly answering questions dealing with, "yellow lights and safe following distances."

According to the test, the best drivers tend to be men over the age of 45, while drivers under the age of 24 seem to be the worst.

The test also located where the worst drivers are in the United States. Not surprisingly it found that New York seem to have the most trouble behind the wheel. Virginia was ranked 21st best, while Maryland (40) and the District (44) ranked toward the bottom of the list of states with good drivers.

Want to prove to everyone that you know how to drive? Take the test for yourself here.

BTW, I scored 90%
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

90% for me as well.

Forum Member

90 as well. I missed the one about it being ok to pass someone on the right when they are turning. I can think of 100s of collisions that are caused from this.

Banned

90% here as well I missed these two:

12. When you tailgate other drivers (drive close to their rear bumper):
    A. You can frustrate the other drivers and make them angry
    B. Your actions cannot result in a traffic citation
    C. You help reduce traffic congestion

There are two right answers here, A and B. I picked B

16. Under most conditions what is a safe following distance?
    A. 3 seconds
    B. 10 seconds
    C. 20 seconds

This is a bad question. The following distance and time is totally dependent on the speed and driving conditions. Based on the question we assume good conditions. I know this much, if I leave more than a car length during rush hour some knucklehead will crowd in front to me. Anyway 3 seconds didn't seem like enough, so I went with 10 which seemed excessive. Better to err on the side of caution.

My favorite is the number of people who don't know they are supposed to drive right except to pass. In many states this is the law and it applies to 2 lane and up highways. So when you are in the center lane of a 6 lane highway and not passing, you are breaking the law.

This does however, prove the point I have been making forever. We hand out licenses as a money making scheme and do not care if people are good drivers or not.

Forum Member

Not really surprised that the New York and New jersey drivers are horrible. Nor the Rhode Island folks.

I live in the People's Republik of Taxachusetts and encounter at least two of these states' drivers daily. The folks here in Mass. suck as drivers as well.

Not really surprised about the people in the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Montana area being decent drivers. Having driven with these folks they are nice, respectful, and well-mannered.

Perhaps I'll be able to join them within the next 1-2 years.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    My favorite is the number of people who don't know they are supposed to drive right except to pass. In many states this is the law and it applies to 2 lane and up highways. So when you are in the center lane of a 6 lane highway and not passing, you are breaking the law.
    Drives me nuts as well. Here in New England we normally get stuck behind someone doing this, we flash the high beams to try to gently remind them to move over. About half the time they move right back over to the left lane after I pass them. Drives me batty man.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    This does however, prove the point I have been making forever. We hand out licenses as a money making scheme and do not care if people are good drivers or not.
    One of the few things I like about the European method of doing things is that their driving tests are quite difficult, much more comprehensive, and much more expensive.

Here we have high numbers of teenage vehicle-related deaths and inexperienced drivers and when we try to tighten up the driving laws we get a ration of shyte about how unfair it is. Same with elderly drivers. Numerous studies showing that around 70-75 years of age the number of accidents, deaths, injuries, and incidents that occur from the 70 and older population are equivalent to the under 25 crowd.....yet we do nothing to correct the matter. It is discrimination to test the elderly more, doctors refuse to turn in patients with disabilities that restrict their ability to operate a vehicle safely.

Why? The elderly are the most reliable voting block in the electorate and no politician will do anything to upset them, unless they do not want to be re-elected.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Drives me nuts as well. Here in New England we normally get stuck behind someone doing this, we flash the high beams to try to gently remind them to move over. About half the time they move right back over to the left lane after I pass them. Drives me batty man.
    90% wooooo!

In NY, we go any-lane-style. Too many invertibrates using the left lane as their own personal highway.

The worst drivers are from the greater Boston area. The second worst are from south Philly/Delaware.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I always thought (and still do) that DC drivers were the worst ever, although Ontarians rate a very close first/second (can't decide which is worse) between them.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Default Inner City New Yorkers

I think during my time visiting new york city i saw some of the worst driving i have ever witnessed. One of the more memorable things was in Chinatown where an FDNY unit was pulling up to an intersection with lights and sirens going and the lieutenant leaning out the window yelling "hey ***hole cant you see the lights?" the guy had no idea they were even there....sad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post

One of the few things I like about the European method of doing things is that their driving tests are quite difficult, much more comprehensive, and much more expensive.

Here we have high numbers of teenage vehicle-related deaths and inexperienced drivers and when we try to tighten up the driving laws we get a ration of shyte about how unfair it is. Same with elderly drivers. Numerous studies showing that around 70-75 years of age the number of accidents, deaths, injuries, and incidents that occur from the 70 and older population are equivalent to the under 25 crowd.....yet we do nothing to correct the matter. It is discrimination to test the elderly more, doctors refuse to turn in patients with disabilities that restrict their ability to operate a vehicle safely.

Why? The elderly are the most reliable voting block in the electorate and no politician will do anything to upset them, unless they do not want to be re-elected.
    I travel the NYS Thruway on a regular basis. And now with tourist season in full swing things are at their worst. The Jersey plates are in the left lane and going 90 in huge SUVs. The Mass plates are in the left lane doing about 70. The occasional PA plate will be just about anywhere. I have given up on flashing lights at these people, they just don't get it. In Germany, you had to move out of the way when someone flashed their lights and you were wrong if you didn't. Around here people think they drive in any lane they want. There is an exit on the thruway (25) where the road goes form the 3 lanes down to two lanes for the oncoming volume of traffic and then it is three lanes again. There have been numerous times when the knucklehead entering will be doing 60 and go straight to the left lane. Stupidity at its best.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Personally, I always thought (and still do) that DC drivers were the worst ever, although Ontarians rate a very close first/second (can't decide which is worse) between them.
    It seems that the closer you get to a city the worse the drivers are.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dunno Rick, try Edmonton or Calgary during rush hour. Combined IQ on any kilometer of road is in single digits. Even worse, try driving from Ft MacMurray to Edmonton afnoon noon on a Friday.

Forum Member

DC drivers, in anything more than 1/4 inch of snow, are awful.

That said, I feel compelled to defend the honor of my neighbors to the immediate south. There is no bad driver like a M******* with a cell phone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshireFF View Post

That said, I feel compelled to defend the honor of my neighbors to the immediate south. There is no bad driver like a M******* with a cell phone.
    The fact that we need laws telling people it is a bad thing says a lot right there.

Forum Member

That's the way coastal Delaware was. A dusting of snow and people slam into each other or panic and stock up on milk and bread. Huge 4WD pickup trucks parked upside down in medians.

What was truly insulting is I gave people rides home in my 2200lb RX-7.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I dunno Rick, try Edmonton or Calgary during rush hour. Combined IQ on any kilometer of road is in single digits. Even worse, try driving from Ft MacMurray to Edmonton afnoon noon on a Friday.
    Been there, done that. Neither can hold a candle to DC drivers. For the most part, a majority of Albertans are courtious to some extent, like pulling the tractor over to the edge of the road when two or three cars get backed up behind and such. In DC, you'd get The Finger from the guy on the tractor because YOU had the nerve to be in the road the same time he did. I lived in Calgary for 4 1/2 years and never really had any trouble with drivers there.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.........

90........ I did 10 seconds on the safe whateveritwas..... and "Be prepared to stop" on the solid Yellow.

As to the best drivers being out on the High Plains, why not? After all, they face less congestion, fewer idiots, better scenery, better roads, you name it.

Here in the DC/Baltimore Messapolis, The biggest thing is Improper use of the Left Lane. In Maryland, you are REQUIRED to move to the right to allow traffic behind you to pass. A: Nobody Does, and B: the Cops refuse to stop people and issue tickets. If the Cops were pushed to inforce this one law, it would fix our budget problems AND leave a surplus........

We are also seeing an interesting thing taking shape, and I'm at a loss to understand it. As recently as a few (3-5) years ago, EVERY vehicle waiting at a Traffic Light would be pulled up close to the one in front of them. Not tailgating, but stopping 5-10 feet back. Now, half of the cars on the road will refuse to pull up closer than 35-50 feet to the car in front of them. a couple of weeks ago, I actually changed lanes about six (Yep, SIX) times at a light, and got ahead of about twenty cars in the Fast lane by doing so. All I did was work back and forth around the folks who left BIG spaces between themselves and the Car in front of them. (Road was 5 lanes in my direction at that point.) I've asked people why they stop like that and they can't answer me...... Weird.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    90........ I did 10 seconds on the safe whateveritwas..... and "Be prepared to stop" on the solid Yellow.

As to the best drivers being out on the High Plains, why not? After all, they face less congestion, fewer idiots, better scenery, better roads, you name it.

Here in the DC/Baltimore Messapolis, The biggest thing is Improper use of the Left Lane. In Maryland, you are REQUIRED to move to the right to allow traffic behind you to pass. A: Nobody Does, and B: the Cops refuse to stop people and issue tickets. If the Cops were pushed to inforce this one law, it would fix our budget problems AND leave a surplus........

We are also seeing an interesting thing taking shape, and I'm at a loss to understand it. As recently as a few (3-5) years ago, EVERY vehicle waiting at a Traffic Light would be pulled up close to the one in front of them. Not tailgating, but stopping 5-10 feet back. Now, half of the cars on the road will refuse to pull up closer than 35-50 feet to the car in front of them. a couple of weeks ago, I actually changed lanes about six (Yep, SIX) times at a light, and got ahead of about twenty cars in the Fast lane by doing so. All I did was work back and forth around the folks who left BIG spaces between themselves and the Car in front of them. (Road was 5 lanes in my direction at that point.) I've asked people why they stop like that and they can't answer me...... Weird.......
    Harve, I can answer that one for you: Two things:

1) that BIG ***** truck you drive; and
    2) that BIG ***** light bar and badge on the doors

might have something to do with it. heheheehehhee

**tell Laura, Kim and I say "HI"!

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Hey Rick............

Laura says "Hi" back. We'll be thinking of y'all while we're laying on the Beach next month in O.C......... (Convention is only 3 Weeks away.)

And, I wasn't driving the "Bad ***** Truck", I had her Lincoln Town Car....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We'll be thinking of y'all while we're laying on the Beach next month in O.C.
    WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

{have fun!!! }

MembersZone Subscriber

90%.... passing on the freeway SHOULD be to the left only and coming to a yellow steady traffic light, I put prepare to stop.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Sad thing is that all of those M A S S H O L E S using cell phones while driving mach 3 on I-93 are moving to your beautiful state.

New Hampshire used to be a joy to visit, with the increase in taxes here in the People's Republik you will see more of us M A S S H O L E S visiting you.

For the record, I can count the number of times I talked on my cell phone while driving on one hand. I hate cell phones.

Forum Member

I got a 95!! I thought Be prepared to stop on yellow was correct. Oh well, guess you can't be right on everything.

Forum Member

:
    Add to that anything from DC south to Richmond, and onto 64 into Norfolk/Chesapeake...add anything falling from the sky and all hell breaks loose

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Hey NHFF and Sharkie...............

You mentioned Little White Flakes......... Do you know how the Mass Holes tell what Season it is in NH???

In Winter: The White Mountains Are. The Green Mountains Aren't.

In Summer: The Green Mountains Are. The White Mountains Aren't.

May I help the next in line?........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information