Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default transfer question

I am a career firefighter in Alabama, but I would like to move back closer to my family who live in Jersey, does anybody know of any departments on the east coast that accept transfers

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    I am a career firefighter in Alabama, but I would like to move back closer to my family who live in Jersey, does anybody know of any departments on the east coast that accept transfers

Thanks
    Are you a career in Mobile? How do you like it down there? Friend of mine at Gulf Shores keeps telling me to come down and apply at Mobile once I get my medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea Im in Mobile I like it but all of my family is in Jersey so that makes me wanna go back up north. Once you have your medic Mobile is def. a good place becuase right now if your are a medic you get a 20% raise for being a medic and then if you are assigned to an ambulance you get another 20% raise for assignment pay? The department isnt the reason I wanna leave I love being in Mobile when Im at work but I wanna be back by my family

Yea Im in Mobile I like it but all of my family is in Jersey so that makes me wanna go back up north. Once you have your medic Mobile is def. a good place becuase right now if your are a medic you get a 20% raise for being a medic and then if you are assigned to an ambulance you get another 20% raise for assignment pay? The department isnt the reason I wanna leave I love being in Mobile when Im at work but I wanna be back by my family
    If you have all IFSAC/Pro-Board certs, and want to move back up this way, why dont you look into a Federal Fire Dept? Go to www.usajobs.gov
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to work for a city fire department because I want to fight structure fires. I dont really want to sit on a military base or be a wildland firefighter but thanks for the help

Default transfer

As an ex-Federal Firefighter let me say this.......We had structure fires,ship fires,aircraft fires and tons of first aid runs. So I wouldn't mark them off your list quite yet.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Some depts below Northern Va, such as Caroline Co. and Louisa Co. will put you to work with FF1/2, but good luck seeing any time on a suppression piece. I'm assuming that you're unwilling to do another academy. If you'll reconsider, Prince William Co. and Stafford Co. (their site says they're actively recruiting for 12 firemedic positions) are hiring. Fairfax Co. is accepting apps for firemedic also, so get on it. MD/DC are options as well, and only a couple of hours from Jersey.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am only an EMT-Basic. I didnt realize the federal job made that many runs, Im stationed on an engine company right now that makes about 10 runs a shift, makes a good amount of fires, car wrecks, traumas such as shootings and stabbings, and other general ems and fire related calls and I would really like to stay with a department that is about the same as that. I wouldnt mind going through another academy if it would put me back real close to jersey, but I would perfer to not have to go through it again or at least only go through a fast track academy to just learn that departments ways

Thanks

I would like to work for a city fire department because I want to fight structure fires. I dont really want to sit on a military base or be a wildland firefighter but thanks for the help
    Wow...Thats a pretty closed-minded thing to say.

I was a firefighter at the US Army Fire Department at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. for 6 years. I bet I saw more first-in inch and three-quarter, and first-in truck company jobs in those 6 years than someone on the Mobile AL FD could wish about.

Wanna work in Jersey? Lets see....Working south from up north, I can think of Picatinny Arsenal....McGuire AFB, Ft. Dix....NAS Lakehurst, NWS Earle (Colts Neck) There are a few others....But I can't think of them now off the top of my head....And they all run automatic mutual aid, initial alarm assignments off post into the surrounding communities.

But thats ok, you dont want to sit on a Military Base.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I was a firefighter at the US Army Fire Department at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. for 6 years. I bet I saw more first-in inch and three-quarter, and first-in truck company jobs in those 6 years than someone on the Mobile AL FD could wish about.
    Whoa...come on now. I'm calling BS on that statement. Maybe because you were at work 200 days a year.

Transfer? This isn't the greyhound bus lines!

You want to go to another fire dept., you have to apply and go throught the hops as someone who doesn't know anything.

You certs if they are National Pro Board and meets the NFPA requirements as well as the Commonwealth of Virginia, will help you once you have passed the written and physical exams and provided you score high enough to get an interview, but no one walks in with a folder of certificates and goes to work!

You would still have to go through the complete training process as any new member does.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

that's a close minded thing to say....

From what I know of civil service, it may be difficult to do a transfer between different states.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Transfer? This isn't the greyhound bus lines!

You want to go to another fire dept., you have to apply and go throught the hops as someone who doesn't know anything.

You certs if they are National Pro Board and meets the NFPA requirements as well as the Commonwealth of Virginia, will help you once you have passed the written and physical exams and provided you score high enough to get an interview, but no one walks in with a folder of certificates and goes to work!

You would still have to go through the complete training process as any new member does.
    going through rookie school isnt a big deal to me, I am mainly trying to find out if there is a different hiring process I have to go through for some fire departments or if when I go through another departments recruit school if my certifications will be accepted to the point where I dont have to take the test again, for example not have to take National Registry EMT-B again or Probaord firefghter 1 and 2 again since I have the certifications. I know I would have to take the recruit school test but I didnt know about the actual certification test. What department in Virginia are you with because I am looking at some of the bigger cities in Virginia.

Thnaks

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    that's a close minded thing to say....

From what I know of civil service, it may be difficult to do a transfer between different states.
    I never said it wasn't........

I suggested to the gentleman that since he has IFSAC/Pro Board certs that he may consider applying for Federal Firefighting positions.

Forum Member

I suggested to the gentleman that since he has IFSAC/Pro Board certs that he may consider applying for Federal Firefighting positions.
    ...and then you bashed him for saying that he wasn't looking for a federal job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks
    This may be daunting, but New Jersey is really tough to get a job into as their hiring is done through state civil service. All if not most REQUIRE you to establish residency in their city prior to taking the civil service test, and you are only qualified to be hired by that city. New Jersey is 80% ran by volunteer fire depts. The handful of fire depts that are actually paid are having some cut backs; Newark, Jersey City, New Brunswick, North Hudson Regional, Camden, gloucester, etc. There are three departments that test through the chief's tests and those are : Cherry Hill, Englewood, and Maplewood. The civil service test is given every 2 years and the list lasts 2 years. It consists of the ergometric written test, physical agility test, and volunteer/military points. You are testing with more than 1,000 people for 3-4 job slots unfortunately. Another downside is that EMS(through volunteer squads and hospitals only) and Fire are seperate entities in the state of NJ so having prior experience won't get you far, but if you are serious in trying to go back I suggest you get a job as an EMT-P at a hospital project and get a place in one of the cities you want to get into, and just test and wait, and wait, and wait.

5 years later.... I got tired of waiting and went to fairfax county and got hired then.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    ...and then you bashed him for saying that he wasn't looking for a federal job.
    Why don't you reverse your cranial-rectal inversion for a minute, and read the entire thread......Here it is for you in black and white......

Another 5 year wonder heard from........Oh, I can roll my eyes too.....

Default Transfer

If and when you decide to go the Federal Firefighter route once in you can transfer any where there is a Federal Base.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information