Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    FF/EMT

Default Inspection Policies

Hey all, I took on the responsibility of putting together a SOG on fire saftey inspections for our fire district. I am looking for some good ideas on some stuff from people who have any, our fire district has a lot of smaller business and nursing homes, we also have 2 school districts. We just recently within the last year have started trying to work on the prevention side of things hard and no one has been able to come up with a set policy so its like mass chaos. We have 5 CFSI's currently anyone with any kind of input would be greatly appriciated. Thanks so much for your time and ideas!!!

1. What set of codes will you be using as your "backbone?" Will you use a set of local codes/ordinances, or will you use state level, or perhaps the ICC Fire Code?

2. How will you handle violations? Do you have local, county, or state legislation enacted that will allow you to enforce compliance with violations? You can't just walk into a business, find 4 violations, and issue them a correction order (with 30 days to comply) without proper ordinances and laws backing you up.

Food for thought.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Here is my inspection form in PDF format. Myself and our old Fire Marshal developed this, but many have since stolen it for themselves as it makes for a less labor-intensive inspection program (see last paragraph.) It is a three-part carbon form. The only changes I would want to make thus far is 1. Would make it legal-sized, with a bigger "notes/comments" section, and I would also add the pertinent code section(s) in parenthesis next to each line item on the checklist.

Fill out the form, and if you find violations, you offer an appropriate amount of time (5,10,15, etc...) days to repair/remediate, and fill in the "re-inspection" date and time. Then you have the building owner or occupant sign, and hand them the pink copy. This does two things- they acknowledge the violation, and acknowledge the re-inspection date. The Inspector would have to carry a datebook with him, but believe me, it beats the alternative of having to send out letters.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 01-21-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information