MembersZone Subscriber

Default anyone else frustrated?

I s anyone else frustrated that most fire departments have a hiring freeze and its hard to get an emt job now. Up here in Washington hardly anyone is hiring. Its frustrating for those of us that are finally getting in a good position to get hired. Dumb economy

Forum Member

We are all waiting...

I keep checking pst, but most of theirs haven't been updated in a year. pointless!
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Permanently Removed

There are some jobs out there, you just have to know where to look. Hit me back for some leads.

MembersZone Subscriber

Even ambulance companies aren't hiring like they used to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Doing afew years in the Air Forces as a FF is looking better everday at this moment.

Permanently Removed

Ok, let me ask you this- how many "Plan B"s do you have. Start thinking about something to back you up. Are you super focused on just one area? Then expand out and look around.

Dont get land locked.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by djbaldwin2 View Post
    I s anyone else frustrated that most fire departments have a hiring freeze and its hard to get an emt job now. Up here in Washington hardly anyone is hiring. Its frustrating for those of us that are finally getting in a good position to get hired. Dumb economy
    Perhaps you should consider going back to school and become a medic. In a tight economy you have to be able to market yourself a little better. Good luck.

Heres one I came across....

Spokane County Fire District 8

NOTICE OF RECRUITMENT

PARAMEDIC- FIREFIGHTER
    Salary Range: $51,542 - $59,663 D.O.E.

See job description for more information.

The Position: Spokane County Fire District 8 will be testing to create an eligibility list for full-time entry-level Firefighters and full-time entry-level and lateral Paramedic Firefighters. The eligibility list will be used fill currently authorized positions as well as vacancies and as new positions occur.

The District: Spokane County Fire District 8 provides a full range of services to approximately 24,500 citizens in 110 square miles of beautiful urban, suburban and rural areas on the southern borders of the City of Spokane and the City of Spokane Valley. The areaís many lakes, rivers, streams, mountains, and entertainment venues provide for a wide range of recreational and cultural activities. The District personnel include: 32 full-time staff, approximately 70 volunteer staff, 14 temporary-hourly employees, and a resident firefighter program with up to 12 personnel. The District is governed by an elected three member Board of Fire Commissioners serving staggered six-year terms.

Minimum Qualifications:

High School Graduate or equivalent
    IFSAC Firefighter I certification or equivalent training
    National Registry or Washington State EMT-Basic certification
    (Entry Level Firefighter)
    National Registry or Washington State EMT-Paramedic certification
    (Paramedic Firefighter)
    College level coursework or degree desired in the areas of: Fire Science or Fire Command Administration, Emergency Medicine, or any combination of experience, education, and training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills and abilities required to be successful in the position.
    Maintain Valid Drivers License
    Written Exam and Physical Ability Testing: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in a Written Exam on Friday June 26th, 2009. The top scoring candidates will be invited to complete the Physical Ability Test on Saturday June 27th, 2009.

Applications and a detailed job description may be obtained by contacting the District at 509-926-6699 or on the Districtís web site at www.scfd8.org

Applications must be received at the Districtís administrative office no later than 4:00 P.M. on June 18th, 2009 12100 E Palouse Hwy. PO Box 345 Valleyford, WA 99036. Faxes will not be accepted.

Forum Member

Default ????

BOU...I only have one plan "B". Then I move on to Plan "C". Sorry I had to say it.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

djbaldwin2 i am extreamly frustrated, over the last two years i have tested and scored within the top 5% on all 5 of the tests i have taken, on 2 of them I am in the top 2% and not one of them have even called me back for a CPAT or other physical exam. The biggest problem up here in the NYC metro area is residancy, if you don't have it you pretty much have very little chance at a job...and with the current economy you have zero chance at one of the spots. Due to the situation i am in, carring for a family member I can not leave the area, which hurts my chances greatly. The best thing i have found is to use that frustration to push myself even harder and know that it will be even sweeter when i get on because of the struggles.

Forum Member

too bad wrong side of mts...
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    BOU...I only have one plan "B". Then I move on to Plan "C". Sorry I had to say it.

JD- As long as you have something in back-up, I am happy.

For me, as much as I love being in fire suppression, If something happened to me, I could do dispatch. If that didnt pan out, law enforcement.

Always have a plan.

Forum Member

Default Happy

BOU...I'm glad I never had to go to "Plan B". I had over thirty years of "Plan A". Although I guess retirement is a "Plan B."??

Dud
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Plan B...I blew by B I'm on atleast Plan F right now

Forum Member

Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

Frustration.....HA! Where do I begin?

I usually don't join in on bitching/complaining/****ing/moaning threads because it's pointless, but for some reason, it's going to make me feel better if I do for a bit here....lol....so bear with me. I think some of you dingleberries might get something out of this. Or maybe not.....I dont know. Anyways.....

For starters, I don't believe for a SECOND that the economy is recovering "nicely" by any means, irregardless of what the stock ticker or the overpaid guy on MSNBC, FOX or CNN says. At least not for those who live in the same state as me; Michigan. There probably are small, very small patches of area out there where there is still some small semblance of growth, expansion, prosperity and wealth, but I can tell you that it is not in this state. I imagine the whole country is feeling the pinch right now. And honestly, it's not going to end for a long, LONG time. I mean, not that you guys arn't in a bad boat in other areas as far as trying to find jobs. I'm sure you are. I think I speak for the majority of us in Michigan though, when I say that I think this bad economy is hitting our state harder than anyone else out there in the country.....by a LONG shot.

I realize you guys are having a tough time finding firefighting jobs, but here in the Southeastern portion of Michigan, people EVERYWHERE are having a hard time finding work in general, just to put food on the table and keep the lights on. Screw the fire job search, we need to worry about the basics before that. Not just the guys trying to get into the highly competitive world of firefighting. Everybody's hurting in this state right now.

Some examples....

I have app's in at over a dozen EMS companies right now to try and get a job working as an EMT-B for $9/hour. Some of the places I have applied to are as far away as 2 hours ONE WAY. I'm just trying to keep my feet wet in fire and EMS work to keep my resume' looking alright, even though it's probably screwed for good due to the issue I hadd at the last job I had though. Gotta keep trying at least though. Keep my eyes on the prize ya know? Keep my chin up!

But it's tough. I've got to pay rent, utilities and the bills to keep the phone on, the truck running, fuel in the tank and the insurance on it, so that if I do get a call for a side job (I do construction) or called for an interview, I can go. Not to mention I'm trying to keep my credit in O.K. shape, so I can get a house someday, but I'm running out of money....FAST. I can't get unemployment due to the fact that I did not work at my last job long enough to qualify for it. Before that I was taking a 8 month long paramedic academy style 5 day a week class and was unable to work during it. I had some issues come up with the class though and was told that I would not be allowed to retest on the final exam with the rest of the class, due to a mistake I made, which more or less led to the forced resignation from the fire department that I had just started on, as well as not being able to finish medic class.

A real kick to the nuts if you will.

So now, not only do I have to retake the medic class if I even want to be able to apply at most departments and have a decent shot at getting in; I have to find a job in general for the meantime. In the worst county of our state, (economically speaking), in the worst state in the country (also economically speaking.)

I also have 36 other job applications that I have put out in the last 2 weeks to everything from carpentry companies to fast food joints to tool stores to Lowes to the Buckle clothing Store to autozone to greenhouses to restaurants to equipment rental shops to hospitals to landscaping companies. There is literally NO work in the area I live in, let along our state right now. I'd love to try and stay working in construction or emergency medical services, but I need money bad right now....(got $600 in the bank right now that has to last me for at least 2 weeks. If I get hired somewhere, I still have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for the 1st paycheck.)

Honestly, I'm not trying to create a pity party, but just let you guys know that no matter how bad you've got it, there are people out there (mostly in Michigan) who probably have it worse off than you. Like my buddy.........

He is a licensed and insured builder who used to do custom homes. He ran out of money last winter in January after not building a house or doing much construction at all for the last 18 months before. He hadn't built a house in our area in 16 months. He is not elgible for unemployment either. He ran his company legitimately and everything and even had an accountant and a lawyer, but it turns out, somehow, he, as a small business owner is not elgible for unemployment due to some stupid little loophole that the state uses to eliminate small business owners for this type of unemployment benefit.

So last winter, he ran out of money. I mean everything he had. Savings, small investments, everything. His wife takes care of and homeschools most of the kids. And oh, by the way, there are 5 of them.

So he started cutting trees down on his property and selling firewood and milled lumber to make some money while he looked for work. He pulled his one kid out of school and set up home school so he could help dad and labor for him with the firewood gig. He was able to keep the heat on in the house and the electric. (The have a well). He made the mortgage payment along with his company and health insurance.....It was going ok for him for a bit.

Then the truck broke down.

He has a 92 1 ton dually Chevy crewcab long box 4x4. Had her and the 6 foot sided 32 foot gooseneck trailer in tow loaded down with logs and firewood. Probably a good 20 or 25,000 Lbs in tow alone. Well he was coming up the Beard's Hills which are about a 14% grade and the truck put a rod through the side of the 454 big block, in the middle of February, at 9 at night. I was coming up the hill on my way home from school around 9:15 and saw him stranded, so I pulled over to help.

Here he is, 22 miles from home, in zero degree February weather burning an old sweatshirt on the passenger side of the truck, with the door open, (even if the truck did work, the heater was broke) with some plywood around him and the kid trying to shield the wind with the door and some plywood chunks to keep his kid warm. His kid was wrapped up in Carhartt Bibs and old sweatshirts. Even if he'd had his cell phone, it wouldn't have done any good. He had to shut it off too because he couldn't pay the bill for that either. I loaded up his kid in my truck and pulled him home with a strap.

The next day I stopped by since I didn't have school, and here he is, with the nose of the truck pulled up into his UNHEATED shed with no electric since it got shut off a week before. He's attempting to pull the big block out using a 100 piece Craftsman tool set with 1/2 the sockets missing. He's got a 500Lb limit come along hooked up to the collarties in his garage trying to hoist it out. He'd been there all night. Frostbitten fingers and toes and icesicles on his whiskers. Handles already bent on the come-a-long from overloading it but he don't care. Finally gets the engine up enough to clear the front clip, and just as we push the truck out from under it....The roof of the shed collapses.

And this is about the part where he lost it.

Tells me "Ya might wanna be somewhere else for bit Zach. I need a minute."

He goes inside and comes out with a bottle of wild turkey. (BTW, it's 9:30 in the morning :-) Does a shot. Then another. Waits about 2 minutes looking at the truck/shed/engine frozen to the ice mess

Looks at me and says "Thought I told you to be somewhere else."

I smiled and told him I'm not leaving and that I had a line on a 454 from a van for him for $150 from another buddy.

He looks away, then looks back. Then looks at the ground. Then back away, and without facing me, pulls the wad of money out of his biboverall pocket and says "Think he'll take.........(fifty, seventy, eighty, eighty five, eighty seven).......Think he'll take $87 bucks Zach?"

I smile and pull $40 out of my pocket and say, "No, but I think he'll take $127"

He chuckles and says "Nah. Prolly not with my luck."

We use some ether and after about an hour and a half of tinkering, get his old Ford 8N tractor running and hoist the engine up in a tree using a pulley and some rope and cable.

We go to our other buddies house and find out that yea, he'll take $127 for the engine, which needs a water pump, an exhaust manifold, and a distributor......if we pull it out of the van, with a hood as big as my computer monitor. So we tinker with that the rest of the day and end up getting the rest of the van with it.

We get the engine installed the next day, and I pitched in and helped him with the parts costs. He promises to pay me back, which he already has x10. Turns out, the van was worth $225 at the scrap yard, which actually reeeeaaaaalllly helped his family out big time.

He's doing alright nowadays, cutting lawns and doing oddjob handyman type stuff. Anything he can get his hands on really. The trucks still running alright, and he's able to pay most of his essential bills. His big downfall was a DUI from a loooooong time ago. Nowadays, even if he could find someplace that was hiring, it wouldn't matter since 9/10 employers see that DUI and look at the other guys before him.

He told me a while back something that really stuck. He said that due to one bad choice one night, when he had had 2 beers too many and then got caught lighting up the tires on his 69' Camaro on a backroad, he has had to suffer ever since. Again, this is one of those right, wrong or indifferent things.
    IMHO, it's bull**** that because of that one mistake he made, he should have to suffer for the rest of his life. I fully understand the implications behind the zero tolerance laws and whatnot, but NOT FOR A MINUTE do I agree that a man should be forced to have that against him FOREVER anytime he tries to move up in the world. It has nothing to do with him as a person. All it is, is a reminder of a bad choice he made a long, long time ago.

If you made it this far, I'm impressed! Lol...

I just hope that those of you that are out there, that are in good areas where there is plenty of work and opportunities don't screw it up or let it slip by. Trust me, as bad as you have it, there is always someone out there who has it much, much worse, and they arn't always the people in the foreign countries. Sometimes, they are the people right in your own backyard.

In my hometown, the unemployment rate is around 40%.

Due to the fall of 2 of the Big 3 automakers, the economic infrastructure of the state of Michigan is now in a FAST downward spiral. Like it or not.

They say that 3 out of 5 jobs in this state are linked DIRECTLY to the auto industry and that the 4th job relies on it significantly. That's 80% of our jobs at risk right now. It's bad here. Real bad.

It ****es me off when I see foreign cars, because I know that the bottom dollar for that car, irregardless of if it was manufactured in Tennessee or Japan, is still going to THAT country, not the United States, specifically my home state of Michigan and our economy.

It ****es me off even more when I hear about ALL the companies exporting thousands of American jobs overseas so that some latte' sippin, foreign car driving, liberal minded ****head can make or save a buck.

It really ****es me off when people my age (18-25) talk about leaving "the ****ty state of Michigan" and never wanting to come back. Like they don't even care about this state and would rather see it fail, and the people here fail. It's very, very aggravating to hear that recent college graduates arn't even considering applying and trying to get jobs here. Instead, it's like they are taking the easy way out and going to warmer, southern, nonunion, right to work, liberal states, that place no value on everything that the unions once stood for. THAT is one of the things that irritates me the most.

Call me old fashioned, call me angry, call me stubborn, or whatever you want, but I pretty much refuse to leave this state. I mean if it came down to it and I could not find any legit work here for years on end, I may consider leaving, but up until now, I havn't had that issue. But that's due to the work ethic that was beaten into me since I was 13 and throwin square bales up on a hay wagon behind a green tractor. Is it tough to get by here? Hell yea it's tough! If it was easy, everybody would still be here. But I'm still staying. I have a strong sense of home, and it feels like I'd be letting the area around me down if I left. I mean, I know that things would go on regardless, but it just would feel like I'm giving up.

I guess in the end, as strong willed of a person I am, and possibly a little stubborn, it irritates me to see how big of pu$$ies the majority of guys out there have become and how they are not willing to take a stand for the important things that matter. Instead, they just pack up and leave and take the easy way out. Instead of writing letters to congress, prospective businesses that may build in our area, to developers, to planners and government and city councils and township boards, pushing like crazy to economically redevelop this area, they are fleeing the area and this state at alarming rates as soon as they get out of college, not wanting anything to do with staying here or this area. And that, is unfortunate.

Honestly, I could see a lot of the SouthEast Michigan area starting to look more, and more and more like the urban inner city Detroit, and South Chicago type ghetto area. And that is not what anybody wants at all. That type of enviornment was created by the exact same thing that is happening now. Businesses not being ethical and moving out of the Northern cities to the Southern States and cities in hopes of higher profits, lower expenses, and less union conflict.

The road ahead does not look promising at all folks.....Especially from us rustbelters.....

OK. Rant OFF!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Thread Information