MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking for training ideas

I am starting a new training idea in my department. We are doing a quarterly training packet that consists of several department evolutions that must be gone over in the quarter (wich we already have writen in our training manual) and other in-house quick and easy drills that we can do in and around the station. If anyone has any ideas on topics that I could include in this packet I would be very grateful! So far I just have some things like radios, thermal imaging camera review, RIT bag review, hand tools and power tools etc... I would like to compile a large list of things that I could use over time. Thanks in advance!

Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Please tell us a little about the department you have.

What is your role/function/rank?

There is a variety of topics that are impairitive and should be done. As always ensure that the basic engine company drill should never be overlooked. This is a nessesity. Also, bunker drills, scba donning, emergency traffic radio procedures, table top drills, water movement/relays, truck functions, pumping master streams, proper hydrant hook ups, aerial deployment, portable ladder drills, extrication tools, machinery extrications, vehicle extrications, stabilization proceedures, trench awareness/operations.............. just to start
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

You do not have to reinvent the wheel.
    Go to Chief Goldfeder's website(closecalls.com): Look under weekly fire drills.

Forum Member

What does your rating require?

Under the rating system in LA, there are certain types of drills that must be performed X times a year.

As an example, a multi-company live structural drill must be performed monthly. SCBA training, exclusive of the live fire drill, must be performed once a quarter.

Do you run EMS? What must you train on there for CEU hours?

What training must you perform to prepare for special hazards or special occupancies?

Forum Member

Any one who is interested, I have just developed a 100-plus page training index for my department.

Some of the training is department specific but most is fairly general in nature.

Email me at Firesafetyed@aol.com if interested.

Thread Information