Thread: Okla. Troopers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic20 View Post
    No....this could have all been avoided if the trooper didnt behave like an egotistical, d*** head in the first place.
    And it could have been prevented if the medic had stayed in the back of the bus where he belonged. Even Trooper Martin stated in his documentation that had the medic stayed out of the situation, he and the EMT may have resolved the situation without incident.

Legal or not, the medic had a patient and should have let his EMT check on what he thought was a patient in the patrol car (on a side note, I've never fully understood why LE agencies accept the liability of having civilians as ride-alongs). Any competent EMT can quickly assess a patient and if ALS is needed, report so to the medic as to the situation.

Not to say I think the trooper was right, by any means. But, the actions of the medic exacerbated an already tensed situation and took away his only defense: that his patient was in such medical distress that they had to get to the hospital right then.

I think if I was either one of those dip****s, I'd have kept my mouth shut and tried to keep the dash, and any other video, under wraps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rumor has it, according to at least two people in positions other than trooper with OHP, Trooper Martin is resigning today.

MembersZone Subscriber

In Depth Analysis of Trooper Dash Cam Video
    Posted: Jun 13, 2009 10:54 PM Updated: Jun 14, 2009 9:04 PM

By Jon Jordan, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Highway Patrol released the dash cam video from the trooper paramedic scuffle and many believe the trooper went too far.

The dash cam video starts with Trooper Daniel Martin racing down Highway 62 near Paden. He then pulls behind the Creek Nation ambulance. It's at this point Trooper Martin believes the ambulance makes little attempt to get out of the way, but NEWS 9's legal analyst Irven Box sees it different.

"The idea that this person failed to yield to him I believe is not a good case," Irven Box said.

Box said there was almost no time for the ambulance to move.

"It appears the trooper is at a high rate of speed approaching this ambulance. To me it appears the ambulance got over the first opportunity it could because there was a car on the easement," NEWS 9's legal analyst said.

It was those few seconds along the highway that led to Trooper Martin to stop the ambulance minutes later, and despite every attempt to warn the trooper they were transporting a patient, the trooper only became more enraged.

"I don't know if the trooper was having a bad day but he was way out of control, he did not handle the situation well it appears," Box said.

"Paramount most important thing is the patient's care. Once we get that taken care of we can do a sit down," said EMSA supervisor Colin Roy.

Roy said in every case patient care must always come first.

"Immediately our concerns turn to the patients care. Are we delaying the patients care? And if so, what do we need to do to put that patients care back in motion," Roy said.

As a result of the altercation the trooper is on paid administrative leave. OHP did investigate his actions, but NEWS 9 has not seen the results.

Despite his actions, Irven Box does not believe the trooper should be fired. Based on the video, Box said Martin could easily be charged for interfering with the medical call.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like my source was wrong... Just his attorney talking about what a hero the trooper is.

Forum Member

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK -- The attorney representing the Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper involved in a scuffle with a Creek Nation EMT held a news conference in Oklahoma City Monday afternoon.

The news conference came just days after the OHP released the dash cam video footage of the argument.

The OHP says the video shows the paramedic, Maurice White Jr., assaulting the trooper, Daniel Martin, before the now infamous confrontation. But the attorney for the medic says the video backs up his claims it was the OHP trooper who was out of control.

Gary James, the attorney for trooper Daniel Martin, said at the news conference Monday that since the ambulance was not running with its emergency lights and sirens on, Martin was allowed to pull over the vehicle for failing to yield the right of way in a previous traffic incident.

James also said the paramedic escalated the situation by challenging the trooper.

Trooper Martin is currently on paid administrative leave.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has completed an internal investigation, but has not released the report.

It wasn't in this news story, but the trooper says he either did not hear, or it did not register that there was a patient in the back when he was first told about it.

Matt

Forum Member

stepping out of the patient compartment does not constitute abandonment. I suggest some people need to brush the legal aspects of pre-hospital care.

If the paramedic is the OIC of the ambulance, he should step out of the ambulance and inform the trooper he is. I fail to see how that escalated the situation. The trooper should be able to handle this and be able to talk to the paramedic and the driver calmly.

If someone stepping out of the back of the ambulance is that much of a shake up to throw the trooper into feeling out of control, perhaps he should resign.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider73 View Post
    The OHP says the video shows the paramedic, Maurice White Jr., assaulting the trooper, Daniel Martin, before the now infamous confrontation. But the attorney for the medic says the video backs up his claims it was the OHP trooper who was out of control.
    Can someone explain this to me? If the medic puts his hands on the trooper, it's assault. if the trooper puts his hands on the medic, then the medic is resisting arrest.

if the medic interferes with the trooper, then he is interfering with a law enforcement office doing his job. However, if the trooper has the medic in a choke hold, interfering with him trying to go back to treating his patient, then he is resisting arrest.

And regardless of if the arrest was legit or warranted, or even legal, the defense that trooper and certain idiot former law enforcement officers are claiming is the medic was resisting arrest, so everything he did was completely legal.

Seems like there is a double standard. Either way, the trooper is an embarrassment, and should either resign or be relieved of his position.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    Can someone explain this to me? If the medic puts his hands on the trooper, it's assault. if the trooper puts his hands on the medic, then the medic is resisting arrest.

if the medic interferes with the trooper, then he is interfering with a law enforcement office doing his job. However, if the trooper has the medic in a choke hold, interfering with him trying to go back to treating his patient, then he is resisting arrest.

And regardless of if the arrest was legit or warranted, or even legal, the defense that trooper and certain idiot former law enforcement officers are claiming is the medic was resisting arrest, so everything he did was completely legal.

Seems like there is a double standard. Either way, the trooper is an embarrassment, and should either resign or be relieved of his position.
    According to certain idiot anti-cop bashers, especially the biggest anti-cop basher on the forums, cops can do no right.

I have explained this so many times, I am getting bored. But you are so intent on fighting, that you ignore what has been said by people who know more about this subject than you do.

If the trooper walked up to the medic and punched him in the mouth, that is assault.

In this case, there appears to be definitely one, probably two occassions where the trooper advised the medic he was under arrest. Once that occurs, any actions taken by the medic to not be taken into custody constitutes resisting arrest. I did not write the statute.

Any time the citizen puts their hand on an on duty officer in an aggressive fashion, it is assault. Don't touch the officer.

Once the trooper deviated from all accepted procedures and let the medic go, he negated his defense and made what he did, arguably assault.

Laws are in place to protect the trooper, as well as to protect the public from rogue law enforcement officers. But the way the system is designed, the officer is given greater protection and lattitude. I didn't write these either.

parasite, start lecturing me on the law and on police procedure when you have some education.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Banned

It's a double standard where some put LEOs on a platform and believe none are corrupt or bad. Nowhere in this case have we seen evidence that the medic aggressively attacked the trooper. All we have is the word of some half cocked egotistical trooper.

As emergency responders we are supposed to work together. I'm thinking the trooper slept through that class.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    In this case, there appears to be definitely one, probably two occassions where the trooper advised the medic he was under arrest. Once that occurs, any actions taken by the medic to not be taken into custody constitutes resisting arrest. I did not write the statute.

Any time the citizen puts their hand on an on duty officer in an aggressive fashion, it is assault. Don't touch the officer.
    So where did this public official in the performance of his duties put his hand on an on duty officer in an aggressive fashion?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I was going to stay out of this one, but earlier today, I perchanced to read and review the video that was posted in the NBC4 DC news today. Two things came out of that:

1) the officer in question has been placed on administrative leave pending the completion of the investigation (standard procedure?)

2) the video I saw clearly showed one certain Medic Officer driving an elbow into the upper torso (throat?) of the attending Police Officer. Until that point, I didnt see much in the way of any "man-handling" by either party. Maybe I missed something. I dont think so.

In any case, when the PO tells you to "settle down", thats exactly what you do, no matter what. For myself, I don't need "personal experience" with that to know better. My few encounters have always been very cordial, and although a friend of mine almost pushed the wrong button too hard one time (no harm was done to the pride of either party), everyone parted on relatively good terms.

End rule: DONT BE STUPID. Do what is asked of you and if you dont like it, file a formal complaint later. Its real simple.

Forum Member

article removed
    Last edited by DrParasite; 06-16-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

According to certain idiot anti-cop bashers, especially the biggest anti-cop basher on the forums, cops can do no right.
    absolutely untrue. when cops are wrong, I point it out. when firefighters are in the wrong, I point it out. Cops do a lot of good. but there are some bad apples, that get pushed in with all of the rest. And yes, this trooper is an embarrassment, even though I'm sure you think the only thing he did was was not follow through with the arrest
    I have explained this so many times, I am getting bored. But you are so intent on fighting, that you ignore what has been said by people who know more about this subject than you do.
    In this case, there appears to be definitely one, probably two occasions where the trooper advised the medic he was under arrest. Once that occurs, any actions taken by the medic to not be taken into custody constitutes resisting arrest. I did not write the statute.
    I think I am going to become a cop. anyone I don't like, I will arrest them (like for jaywalking, or failure to yield), and when they resist, I will put them in a choke hold. Don't worry, I will make sure to follow through with my arrest, so it is all legal. If I have a bad day, I might arrest people who flip me off. and when they resist, i will use all my tools and skills to put a hurt on them. and don't worry, I will make sure to follow through with my arrest, so it is all legal. George, you have opened my eyes, thank you. But first I will need to develop that huge chip on my shoulder that some of your fellow boys in blue have
    not disagreeing. but if anyone puts their hand on an on duty paramedic in an aggressive fashion, what is it? and what if this is done by an office prior to the on duty paramedic being told he is being arrested?
    parasite, start lecturing me on the law and on police procedure when you have some education.
    Show me where I lectured you on police procedure. I know you like to start fights with everyone, especially me, and anyone who dares say a cop is ever wrong, but all I did was ask a question. maybe if you removed the stick, and ditched the attitude, you would be more respected and not come off as a arrogant person
    Last edited by DrParasite; 06-16-2009 at 05:49 PM.

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Not sure if this was covered: There is a legal precedent that does not allow the trooper to arrest an EMT-B or -P while rendering aid. When the patient is being transported, one person must drive and the other must provide patient care. If an EMT is not physically in the back of the ambulance then he has abandoned his patient, which is a crime. The only way to arrest the EMT and not have him be committing abandonment would be to delay arrest until a mutual aid unit arrived on scene to have care transfered.

Forum Member

....maybe if you removed the stick, and ditched the attitude, you would be more respected and not come off as a arrogant person
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Not sure if this was covered: There is a legal precedent that does not allow the trooper to arrest an EMT-B or -P while rendering aid. When the patient is being transported, one person must drive and the other must provide patient care. If an EMT is not physically in the back of the ambulance then he has abandoned his patient, which is a crime. The only way to arrest the EMT and not have him be committing abandonment would be to delay arrest until a mutual aid unit arrived on scene to have care transfered.
    Where's the cite?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma cop proves to be a liar after dash cam is released (sign petition to get him fired)
    June 13th, 2009 ∑ 94 Comments

Update: PINAC reader Theo put together a petition calling for the termination of Oklahoma State Trooper Daniel Martin. For whatever itís worth, we will send it to Oklahoma Highway Patrol Chief, Colonel Van M. Guillotte,

By Carlos Miller
    T
    http://carlosmiller.com/2009/06/13/o...m-is-released/
    Well, this certainly proves Carlos Miller can't read....

MembersZone Subscriber

Can somebody please explain to me why in Gods green earth this trooper is supposedly running hot ( latest buzzword ) with his wife in the car with him? When he does get to the gas station or whatever, he stays about 10 seconds, then takes off after the ambulance again. I timed his approach and passing of the ambulanve and it was slightly under 7 seconds, including the time the ambulance had to pass the stopped car on the shoulder. This guys attitude and demeanor strikes me as right out of something like "Cool Hand Luke" or "Mississippi burning" Stereotype of a redneck moron.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma cop proves to be a liar after dash cam is released (sign petition to get him fired)
    June 13th, 2009 ∑ 94 Comments

Update: PINAC reader Theo put together a petition calling for the termination of Oklahoma State Trooper Daniel Martin. For whatever itís worth, we will send it to Oklahoma Highway Patrol Chief, Colonel Van M. Guillotte,

By Carlos Miller
    The fact that they have not stripped Daniel Martin of his badge and gun is a crime in itself.

The dash cam video not only reveals that he falsified a police report - which has landed other cops in jail - but that he is about as insecure and unstable as a three-year-old child.

First of all, he had absolutely no reason to be speeding with his sirens wailing. All he was doing was picking up his wife at what appears to be a police station.

Then, after he picked up his wife, he pulls the ambulance over for failing to yield in what essentially was a non-emergency situation. In fact, the only vehicle that had an emergency on its hands was the ambulance, which was transporting a patient to the hospital.

And after the ambulance pulls over, both paramedics step out of the vehicle in a non-threatening manner. There was no ďassaultĒ, as the cop initially reported. He didnít even slam the door, as he later reported.

All the paramedic was trying to do was his job, which was to get to the patient to the hospital as quick as possible.

And for that, Martin not only placed him in a chokehold, he told the paramedics that he was going to shoot them dead with his gun.

The fact that prosecutors refused to file charges on the cop proves they are nothing but a bunch of backwoods, slack jawed good ole boys who will always watch out for their own.

And they are putting the public in danger in the process.

http://carlosmiller.com/2009/06/13/o...m-is-released/
    That maggot must be your hero, huh?

Forum Member

According to the news this morning. the trooper and his wife work different shifts. She was riding with him so they could talk and catch up on things.

Hearing that makes me think marital problems. If so, that could have added to his anger. Is it true?? I have no clue.

Carlos Miller:
    The troopers wife was already in the car before he stopped at the GAS STATION, where Deputies had a stolen car stopped. I've never seen a gas station that looked like a police station, even in a screwed up state like Oklahoma.

I drove the highway in the video while working today. The trooper had to be hauling balls to catch up to the bus on that hill as fast as he did.

Matt

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    Where's the cite?
    The cite? I am not sure what you mean.

But it is most definitely illegal to abandon a patient.

MembersZone Subscriber

absolutely untrue. when cops are wrong, I point it out. when firefighters are in the wrong, I point it out. Cops do a lot of good. but there are some bad apples, that get pushed in with all of the rest.
    Your past hx. proves that this statement is untrue.

I'm sure you think the only thing he did was was not follow through with the arrest
    You're a fool who can't read.

I think I am going to become a cop. anyone I don't like, I will arrest them (like for jaywalking, or failure to yield), and when they resist, I will put them in a choke hold. Don't worry, I will make sure to follow through with my arrest, so it is all legal. If I have a bad day, I might arrest people who flip me off. and when they resist, i will use all my tools and skills to put a hurt on them. and don't worry, I will make sure to follow through with my arrest, so it is all legal. George, you have opened my eyes, thank you. But first I will need to develop that huge chip on my shoulder that some of your fellow boys in blue have
    More proof that you are a fool.

but if anyone puts their hand on an on duty paramedic in an aggressive fashion, what is it? and what if this is done by an office prior to the on duty paramedic being told he is being arrested?
    If a private citizen assaults a medic, it is a crime. If apolice officer, on or off duty, assaults a medic, it is a crime. If ap olice officer is arresting a medic (no magic words have to be spoken. The courts have ruled on a million occassions that it is the action, not the words, that makes the arrest), it is not a crime as long as the officer is using force to overcome the resistance.

Show me where I lectured you on police procedure. I know you like to start fights with everyone, especially me, and anyone who dares say a cop is ever wrong, but all I did was ask a question. maybe if you removed the stick, and ditched the attitude, you would be more respected and not come off as a arrogant person
    I don't pick fights with everyone.

I SAID THE TROOPER WAS 100% WRONG!

You have no idea how little I care if you respect me. I am respected by the people I care about. The rest of you could go to hell.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    The cite? I am not sure what you mean.

But it is most definitely illegal to abandon a patient.
    You made a statement that there is legal precedent. Precedent means that there was a reporterd case by an Appeals Court that established that precedent. A citation is the case name and year, volume and page where the decision can be found inthe respective court reporter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider73 View Post
    According to the news this morning. the trooper and his wife work different shifts. She was riding with him so they could talk and catch up on things.

Hearing that makes me think marital problems. If so, that could have added to his anger. Is it true?? I have no clue.

Carlos Miller:
    The troopers wife was already in the car before he stopped at the GAS STATION, where Deputies had a stolen car stopped. I've never seen a gas station that looked like a police station, even in a screwed up state like Oklahoma.

I drove the highway in the video while working today. The trooper had to be hauling balls to catch up to the bus on that hill as fast as he did.

Matt
    Are you saying that trooper's wife is a trooper also?

You are making a big leap and a big assumption that there are marital problems. You have zero basis to say that.

Look at the video. It doesn't take that long to catch up to the bus.

Facts, man. Facts.

Forum Member

George,

I have not heard what his wife does. I agree I have no facts as to what was taking place between his trooper and his wife, as I said, the way the news reported it made me think there were problems.

The hill he caught the bus on is @1/2 mile from bottom to top. He cleared it at a good clip. Watching the video, I estimate 20 seconds. That works out to about 90 mph on a two lane hwy. With all the side roads out there, he wouldn't have been able to stop if someone had pulled out in front of him.

On the trooper taking , or being placed, on leave:

It has been reported that Trooper Martin took leave because he has received threats against him, and his family. Even though I disagree with how he handled this situation, these threats should not have been made.

Matt
    Last edited by GhostRider73; 06-16-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Thread Information