Thread: Okla. Troopers

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    Oklahoma cop proves to be a liar after dash cam is released (sign petition to get him fired)
    June 13th, 2009 · 94 Comments

Update: PINAC reader Theo put together a petition calling for the termination of Oklahoma State Trooper Daniel Martin. For whatever it’s worth, we will send it to Oklahoma Highway Patrol Chief, Colonel Van M. Guillotte,

First of all, he had absolutely no reason to be speeding with his sirens wailing. All he was doing was picking up his wife at what appears to be a police station....[/url]
    What a piece of trash this guy appears to be. Dare I ask how you came about this anti-cop website?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Not sure if this was covered: There is a legal precedent that does not allow the trooper to arrest an EMT-B or -P while rendering aid. When the patient is being transported, one person must drive and the other must provide patient care. If an EMT is not physically in the back of the ambulance then he has abandoned his patient, which is a crime. The only way to arrest the EMT and not have him be committing abandonment would be to delay arrest until a mutual aid unit arrived on scene to have care transfered.
    George covered what I meant by cite (thanks, George). I highlighted the statement to which I was referring.

That's a very bold assertion. I can't believe that it is true, if for no other reason than the fact that the DA, medics's attorney, and media would have been all over it by now. It was probably all of the above's first Westlaw search.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    George covered what I meant by cite (thanks, George). I highlighted the statement to which I was referring.

That's a very bold assertion. I can't believe that it is true, if for no other reason than the fact that the DA, medics's attorney, and media would have been all over it by now. It was probably all of the above's first Westlaw search.
    Really, if so it would be a stupid law.

The medic is holding the murder weapon and caring for his victim. Cop cannot arrest?

Nah....
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    What a piece of trash this guy appears to be. Dare I ask how you came about this anti-cop website?
    actually, i agree with you. it was on the front page of aol.com. it was also in google news, so i posted it. after reading about the author, i found his history and tried to remove it, but wasn't able to due to my internet connection dying. i will remove it.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Let's talk fire trucks!

Last week, a couple of folks on the forums predicted that by this week, this topic would be dead to the public, and wouldn't even be worth writing about on here.

Seems that CBS news doesn't think to.

I wonder where this will end, both in the media, and within each agency's own investigation?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Sorry, I misused the term. But I know that I am bound to protect my patient unless my life is in danger. That means I cannot abandon my patient. If I were holding the murder weapon in the hypothetical situation, then I am endangering the patient and therefore can be forcibly removed.

Back In Black

Sorry, I misused the term. But I know that I am bound to protect my patient unless my life is in danger. That means I cannot abandon my patient. If I were holding the murder weapon in the hypothetical situation, then I am endangering the patient and therefore can be forcibly removed.
    It's okay, a lot of people think they know the laws and some of these wive's tales get repeated over and over and eventually get accepted as fact.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Banned

The cite? I am not sure what you mean.

But it is most definitely illegal to abandon a patient.
    Looking for a citation or reference.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider73 View Post
    According to the news this morning. the trooper and his wife work different shifts. She was riding with him so they could talk and catch up on things.

Hearing that makes me think marital problems. If so, that could have added to his anger. Is it true?? I have no clue.

Carlos Miller:
    The troopers wife was already in the car before he stopped at the GAS STATION, where Deputies had a stolen car stopped. I've never seen a gas station that looked like a police station, even in a screwed up state like Oklahoma.

I drove the highway in the video while working today. The trooper had to be hauling balls to catch up to the bus on that hill as fast as he did.

Matt
    We don't allow anyone in our vehicles other than our own. Spouses and children don't ride along (except for parades). Picking up your wife so you can talk while on duty seems like a dereliction of duty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    It's okay, a lot of people think they know the laws and some of these wive's tales get repeated over and over and eventually get accepted as fact.
    How can anyone person know all of the laws? There are volumes upon volumes of laws. Lawyers go to school for years, and then specialize in a certain area. Used to be that one could not claim ignorance of the law, I say with the volume of laws and the mere fact that not even lawyers agree on the laws, ignorance is an excuse.

Forum Member

Officer Martin is hosed. It is an gubernatorial election cycle with a high profile event involving the executive branch of the government. Gov. Henry term has expired so he had no interest in releasing the tapes. All the candidates requested the tape be released. It shouldn't take a long leap to figure out why...

Forum Member

Legal responsibility to submit to the arrest!Think Again!

Too friggin bad this trooper got his bubble busted!

A police officer, or a person authorized by a jurisdiction's police powers act, may arrest anyone whom the officer has reasonable and probable cause to believe has committed any criminal offence. However, in the case of a misdemeanour, summary conviction offence, or non-criminal offence (such as a municipal by-law offence) the officer may arrest the suspect only long enough to identify the suspect and give the suspect a summons to appear in court, unless there is reason to believe he or she will not appear in answer to the summons.

I dont believe this meets the police powers for arrest.He was rough housed for trying to keep is driver from being delayed by the trooper.He informed the trooper several times.This guy was out of control.I do think it was a run away ego.Maybe the OK state police should change there policy that allows troopers girlfriends to ride-a-long while on duty.Showing off got this trooper busted.
    Last edited by coldfront; 06-17-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

FF-EMT

Unhappy Ashamed

I personally think that the Trooper was wrong and there was no way this situation was going to turn out anything but bad. Paramedic White made have had good intentions but simply allowing a couple of minutes with the driver may have been the better thing to do IN HINDSIGHT. The trouble is in the middle of the situation is never the time to figure this out. I hope all involved learned something and no careers get ruined. But, I also hope I don't have to drive through Oklahoma anytime soon!

P.S. The one time I had to deal with OHP at a DUI checkpoint they were all total professionals.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    There are lots of them. That would be a fun thread.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    How can anyone person know all of the laws? There are volumes upon volumes of laws. Lawyers go to school for years, and then specialize in a certain area. Used to be that one could not claim ignorance of the law, I say with the volume of laws and the mere fact that not even lawyers agree on the laws, ignorance is an excuse.
    Go ahead and try to find a valid case where ignorance of the law is a valid defense for any crime. I would bet that you would find most, if not all, state statutes contain language to the contrary.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    There are lots of them. That would be a fun thread.
    I think I will start one and see what happens.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Rough reputations follow trooper, medic in scuffle
    Men had been fired from previous jobs

BY RON JACKSON AND SHEILA STOGSDILL
    Published: June 21, 2009

Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper Daniel Martin and Creek Nation paramedic Maurice White Jr. — two men thrust into the national media spotlight after a May 24 scuffle — have reputations as bullies and histories of confrontation, former supervisors and employment documents revealed.
    Featured Gallery

Martin’s defense attorney, Gary James, portrayed him last week as a loving family man and an "American hero” who recently returned from Iraq after a tour of duty as a U.S. naval reservist. Residents of the rural Osage County town of Fairfax have dramatically different recollections of Martin, who was their police chief from March 1999 to July 2000.

Martin’s tenure ended in Fairfax with a unanimous vote for his firing.

"Yeah, I remember him,” store clerk Linda Burgess said. "That’s a sore subject around here. He left quite an imprint on this community, and not a good one, either. He was a bully with an attitude.

"And he was always pulling people over and using the f-word.”

James could not be reached for comment.

White, meanwhile, was fired in June 2004 by Muskogee County EMS after more than 11 years of employment. EMS director Terri Mortensen criticized White in a termination letter, citing his "unprofessional behavior” toward her and "misuse of authority over your subordinates.” The letter listed other reasons for his termination:

>Failure to complete run sheets in a timely manner.

>Short notice on cancellation of teaching assignment.

>Failure to schedule a relief EMT to cover his shift while he taught a class in a timely manner.

White responded by filing a complaint of racial discrimination with the NAACP, the Muskogee Phoenix newspaper reported at the time. The newspaper further reported the organization originally supported White’s cause but later reversed its decision. The NAACP reportedly reviewed the EMS policy and White’s termination letter, and concluded he had committed a fireable offense.

Forty of White’s former co-workers wrote a letter to the editor of the Muskogee Phoenix in support of White’s firing.

White was respected in other quarters. In Siloam Springs, Ark., he completed a one-year contract in 1992 as a paramedic for the fire department.

Siloam Springs Fire Chief Jimmy Harris remembered White as "a good medic” and someone "pleasant to be with.”

Gary Padgett, who supervised White as a paramedic in Harrison, Ark., in 1991 remembered him as "a pleasant young man” and a true professional.

Martin, meanwhile, served the Stillwater Police Department from October 2000 to March 2007 before being hired by the patrol, Stillwater Police Chief Norman McNickle said. The chief said he was legally restricted from discussing Martin’s work history.

But no one expressed such concerns in Fairfax.

Longtime Fairfax barber shop owner Linda Bevill, who cut Martin’s hair, described him as a bullish man who ran off teenagers from cruising Main Street and constantly accused people of drinking alcohol during traffic stops.

"He struck me as a man who probably didn’t have any control over any part of his life growing up; someone who needed control and power,” Bevill said. "I remember he even went and bought one of those portable police lights for his own car. He just needed to play cop even when he was off-duty.”

Former board of trustees member Ted Smith remembered Martin as someone who "didn’t take orders very well.”

Smith recalled one incident he witnessed in which two handcuffed teenagers were lying face down on the sidewalk. Martin stood over one of the youngsters with his pistol aimed at the youth’s head.

"The boys were already handcuffed and on the ground,” Smith said. "Why pull the gun? ... Yeah, we had a lot of trouble with him. We’re not surprised at all by what has happened. He just had an attitude.

"I always knew he’d be famous some day.”
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Good find.

Some shocking revelations in that article, huh?

MembersZone Subscriber

Good find.

Some shocking revelations in that article, huh?
    That they are.

Sorry for giving you grief quite a few paged back George.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

The paramedic also had a 10 year stint with the Shreveport Fire Department.

Nobody would comment as to why he left.

Sorta interesting because at 12 1/2 years, you are vested in the state retirement system. Very few firefighters leave before that. Most folks stick it out, now matter how much they want to leave, for the 37% of the last year's base.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have been wondering if there has been some history between the EMS agency and the OHP in that neck of the woods.

Now I am wondering if this was just an unlucky meeting of two of the biggest Type A "Para-God vs. I-Am-The-Law" personalities in the entire sooner state....

MembersZone Subscriber

Where does it say they let him go? In the video, he is in the back of the RC. In the three news stories I have found, there is no mention that he was let go. In the SL piece, there is no mention that he was let go.

Where did you get your info, anti-cop one?
    That is what I have been talking about. He WAS placed under arrest. The Trooper walked up to the EMT and said, quite clearly, "You are under arrest...". At that time, the Trooper put his hands on the EMT and began to take him into custody. The EMT resisted and assaulted the Trooper.

The Trooper screwed up when he let him go. You cannot "un-arrest" someone. Only the courts can do that. If I put my hands on you, you are going in cuffs. The Trooper opened the door to a myriad of problems when he let the EMT go.

Then maybe you should hold up your inflammatory post until you actually hear all the evidence that is available.

funny, you dont seem to follow the "rules' you enforce....and neither did the trooper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    funny, you dont seem to follow the "rules' you enforce....and neither did the trooper.
    Does your mother know you are using the computer?

MembersZone Subscriber

I might be young, but I don't have to act like a child to prove a point. What's your excuse?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    I might be young, but I don't have to act like a child to prove a point. What's your excuse?
    Go away, son. You have no idea what you're posting or who you're posting it to.

Thread Information