Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Okla. Troopers

http://www.news9.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=385803 3&h1=Investigation%20into%20Tr ooper's%20Actions%20Passed%20t o%20Chief&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=15 4167&LaunchPageAdTag=News&acti vePane=info&rnd=69148420

Turns out the letter to OHP from the prosecutor is pretty damning.

He writes,

"trooper martins handling of the situation was innappropiate from the outset "

"I expect law enforcement officers to treat the public with respect. I do not think this can be said about trooper martins actions."

"I trust that this matter will be dealt with appropiately by the oklahoma highway patrol and that this type of behaviour will be strongly discouraged"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    http://www.news9.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=385803 3&h1=Investigation%20into%20Tr ooper's%20Actions%20Passed%20t o%20Chief&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=15 4167&LaunchPageAdTag=News&acti vePane=info&rnd=69148420

Turns out the letter to OHP from the prosecutor is pretty damning.

He writes,

"trooper martins handling of the situation was innappropiate from the outset "

"I expect law enforcement officers to treat the public with respect. I do not think this can be said about trooper martins actions."

"I trust that this matter will be dealt with appropiately by the oklahoma highway patrol and that this type of behaviour will be strongly discouraged"
    Two questions...

1. Is the entire letter posted somewhere for review?

2. Was there any mention of in internal investigation into the Medic's conduct?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

OHP Trooper Investigation Closed

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The investigation into an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper involved in a scuffle with a Creek Nation paramedic has been closed.

OHP Capt. Chris West said Trooper Daniel Martin was put on paid administrative leave June 1 while the patrol's internal affairs investigate the May 24 incident. Martin has not yet been reinstated.

"We didn't want to rush ourselves on the investigation," Capt. West said. "We want to make sure there was a thorough and comprehensive investigation."

West said the investigation did not focus on whether Martin broke the law, but rather focused on whether he violated OHP policies and procedures. Martin's wife was in the trooper's car at the time of the incident, but West said that does not violate OHP policy. The matter has now been handed over to OHP Chief Van Guillotte for review.

A confrontation occurred after Martin pulled over the ambulance, which was taking a woman to the hospital in Prague. The trooper said he was upset that the ambulance did not yield as he responded to an emergency call.

"I believe this will play out into the end and I just think we should allow the investigation to take its course and go with that," Trooper Martin said.

Martin and paramedic Maurice White Jr. scuffled after the traffic stop, but White wasn't arrested. Prosecutors said they don't intend to charge either man.

The Highway Patrol has refused to release video from the trooper's dashboard camera.

Apparently, when the open records act was passed in Okla, there was a provision that excluded audio and video from the public safety departments.

Matt

Forum Member

TULSA, OK -- EMT Maurice White says he is, in a way, glad that the scuffle with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper happened because it means problems will be addressed and dealt with. He also tells The News On 6 he is looking for accountability from the OHP.

"This situation can never happen again," said Maurice White.

Maurice White doesn't want to see anyone else in the position he was in at the business end of a choke-hold from Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Daniel Martin.

But, White thinks it will happen again to someone else unless some questions are answered.

"Whatever we have to make sure that that never occurs again and that some definitive light is shed on the problems with the OHP, we will go forward and do it whatever that takes," said Maurice White.

White says even when flattened against his ambulance, he was worried about the patient in the back. It was a woman suffering from possible heat exhaustion that he and his partner were taking to a hospital.

"The word that comes to mind is absolute torture for a mother to be strapped to a gurney with an IV, an EKG and oxygen cannot move and she is hearing her family members scream outside that had to be torture. She did not deserve that," said Maurice White.

Nor does he feel he or his partner, Paul Franks, deserved the treatment they received from Trooper Martin.

"Never in my lifetime have I seen that kind of focused rage before," said Maurice White. "If a trooper behaves that way with a fellow professional and a professional who is transporting a patient with chest pain how does that trooper handle other situations?"

White also wants to see OHP's dashcam video. It is the video the patrol has refused to release after first saying it showed the paramedics starting the scuffle.

06/11/2009 Related Story: Why Won't OHP Release Dashcam Video?

"The dashcam video will show his state of rage when he exited his vehicle to speak to my driver. It will show his total disregard for the patient when he was informed we were transporting a patient and when it was asked if we could take this up at the hospital, it will show his total disregard. And, it will show a trooper at that moment who was totally out of control," said Maurice White.

White told The News On 6 he holds the OHP in the highest regard and says they generally are epitome of professionalism when it comes to police work.

White's lawyer, Richard O'CarrolL told The News On 6 that he will get the dashcam video, but it will take a lawsuit to do so which means there could be a civil lawsuit in the future.

White says even when flattened against his ambulance, he was worried about the patient in the back. It was a woman suffering from possible heat exhaustion that he and his partner were taking to a hospital.
    I have to ask. If you are so worried about your patient in the back of the ambulance (with no L&S), why would you get out of the back of the ambulance and leave her?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I have to ask. If you are so worried about your patient in the back of the ambulance (with no L&S), why would you get out of the back of the ambulance and leave her?
    C'mon, you know better than that. How long is he supposed to sit there while his patient is denied hospital care? And no siren is, under most circumstances, appropriate when dealing with a cardiac patient, and running lights only is not allowed under Oklahoma law.

Trying to get the show back on the road is patient advocacy AND patient care.

Statter is reporting that the trooper was recently returned from the war and may be suffering from PTSD. In which case, I sympathize with him and would rather see him treated than punished. But I don't want him on the roads with a badge and a gun until he has got it back together.
    Last edited by NewHampshireFF; 06-12-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshireFF View Post
    and running lights only is not allowed under Oklahoma law.
    Has anyone ever been cited for just running with lights?

I hear this from time to time and it always makes me wonder what that means.

Has anyone successfully won a lawsuit where the emergency vehicle was only using lights in a state where sirens were always required?

Is there one big switch that turns on lights and sirens in the vehicles in those states?

Enquiring minds want to know.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Has anyone ever been cited for just running with lights?
    Obviously I have no idea if anyone has been cited for this in OK. I wouldn't think that emergency vehicles are often stopped by LEOs, but apparently...

I am sure I would have heard of any examples in my area, but running lights only is allowed in NH.

There was some bloviating, earlier in this thread, about how people need to just shut up and follow the law. Well:

Title 47. Motor Vehicles Chapter 11 - Rules of the Road Article
    Article 4 - Right Of Way
    Section 11-405 - Operation Of Vehicles On Approach Of Authorized Emergency Vehicles

A. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of Section 12-218 of this act

I hear this from time to time and it always makes me wonder what that means.

Has anyone successfully won a lawsuit where the emergency vehicle was only using lights in a state where sirens were always required?
    Absolutely.

Here, for example:

Martin v. Town of Hamden, 2003 Conn. Super. LEXIS 1972, *5-6 (Conn. Super. Ct. 2003) (“Although the decision to engage in pursuit is discretionary, once a pursuit has begun, an officer must abide by certain rules”; holding that because emergency statute did not relieve police officer from duty to drive with due care regarding safety of persons and property, lawsuit against officer for failure to use audible warning as required by emergency response statute was not barred by statutory immunity)

Or here:

OWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) -- The family of a Western Kentucky University student killed a wreck with a Bowling Green police officer have reached a $1 million settlement with the city.

Allison "Ali" Carter, 20, of Evansville, Ind., died when her vehicle was hit in the side by a police cruiser driven by officer David Hall in April 2006. Carter was a sophomore at Western Kentucky when she died.

The Carter's attorney, H. Phillip Grossman of Louisville, said the settlement helped the family find out what happened when their daughter was killed.

Kentucky State Police say Hall had the right of way while driving 47 mph in a 35 mph zone without his lights or sirens on. City police say Hall was trying to catch a hit and run driver.

And for our cousins across the pond:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...999-siren.html

There are dozens of examples readily available on google, to satisfy your enquiring mind.

Is there one big switch that turns on lights and sirens in the vehicles in those states?
    No, because you can run lights only AT THE SCENE for visibility purposes, even if you can't while en route.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I asked the same question. No response except to wrongfully explain that it was not patient abandonment.

I disagree.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I asked the same question. No response except to wrongfully explain that it was not patient abandonment.

I disagree.
    Abandoment requires DISCOUNTINUING care, not interupting it for another valid purpose.

Like exploring why the hell your ambulance isn't moving.

Back to basic class for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

C'mon, you know better than that. How long is he supposed to sit there while his patient is denied hospital care? And no siren is, under most circumstances, appropriate when dealing with a cardiac patient, and running lights only is not allowed under Oklahoma law.

The Medic was the only care this woman was recieving. I would expect him to sit there and care for her as long as was necessary. By becoming involved, he actually prolonged this period of "denied hospital care". In fact, he prolonged it quite a bit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Abandoment requires DISCOUNTINUING care, not interupting it for another valid purpose.

Like exploring why the hell your ambulance isn't moving.

Back to basic class for you.
    Not likely.

Keyword: valid

Forum Member

The Medic was the only care this woman was recieving. I would expect him to sit there and care for her as long as was necessary. By becoming involved, he actually prolonged this period of "denied hospital care". In fact, he prolonged it quite a bit.
    Again, back to basic class. Abandonment has a specific definition. It requires discontinuing care.

Anyone who has actually worked an ambulance has left the back to, for example, fetch something from an outside compartment.

Trooper Martin's immaturity and inability to control his temper delayed patient care.

I'm beginning to think people are right about you. You pull up this absurd argument so that you can say that the troppoer was wrong, but so was the medic.

The medic bears some responsibility for what went down. Maybe 10%. The rest is all on the trooper.
    Last edited by NewHampshireFF; 06-12-2009 at 12:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Again, back to basic class. Abandonment has a specific definition. It requires discontinuing care.

Anyone who has actually worked an ambulance has left the back to, for example, fetch something from an outside compartment.

Trooper Martin's immaturity and inability to control his temper delayed patient care.

I'm beginning to think people are right about you. You pull up this absurd argument so that you can say that the troppoer was wrong, but so was the medic.

The medic bears some responsibility for what went down. Maybe 10%. The rest is all on the trooper.
    In case you are implying that I have never worked EMS, I have. Both volunteer and urban 911 (Jersey City and New Brunswick).

Are you trying to make the case that the care that the medic was providing was not important? In my view, that treatment was the only treatment she was recieving.

Again, let me try one more time to dumb down my statements so even you can understand it.

The police man was bad.

There is no excuse for the way the police man acted towards the ambulance man.

The ambulance man was bad, too.

The poor nice lady in the ambulance bed was sick and needed help.

The police man and the ambulance man were too busy measuring their pee pee's to care about the nice lady.

Two questions...

1. Is the entire letter posted somewhere for review?

2. Was there any mention of in internal investigation into the Medic's conduct?
    1. Not that I have found. Pieces of a letter are only part of the situation
    of course. No way to be truly objective without the complete read.

2. Not that I have found. Perhaps his employer has done so, but it has not been mentioned.

Spent almost 20 years working on one. And no, I never left a patient alone to get something from an outside compartment.

Maybe our rigs are better designed as items needed to care for a possible heat exhaustion are accessible from the interior.

appropriate when dealing with a cardiac patient
    Are we talking about the same call here?

"The word that comes to mind is absolute torture for a mother to be strapped to a gurney with an IV, an EKG and oxygen cannot move and she is hearing her family members scream outside that had to be torture. She did not deserve that," said Maurice White.
    and yet he decides it's in this woman's best interest to leave here alone in the back of the ambulance? Still having a hard time understanding that thought process.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I found a bit more on the letter from the DA - it clearly states that he does not condone the actions of the medic also.....
    http://www.wusa9.com/news/columnist/...rpt-710387.jpg

A link to the complete letter can be found dave statters web page.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 06-12-2009 at 04:12 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

and yet he decides it's in this woman's best interest to leave here alone in the back of the ambulance? Still having a hard time understanding that thought process.
    To engage in an altercation, no less.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I found a bit more on the letter from the DA - it clearly states that he does not condone the actions of the medic also.....
    http://www.wusa9.com/news/columnist/...rpt-710387.jpg

A link to the complete letter can be found dave statters web page.
    Funny how the press leaves out that sentence, huh?

I also find it veryinteresting that the DA is calling for the release of the dashcam video as well.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

The dashcam footage has finally been released: OHP Releases Trooper's Dash Cam Footage.

This certainly appears to be an over-reaction by the trooper. He was behind the ambulance for a matter of seconds before the EMS unit yielded to him. The trooper approached the ambulance with a great deal of speed, giving the ambulance's operator only a few seconds to react, but the trooper didn't think that his reaction time was quick enough.

I'm curious to see how this will play out, especially in light of OHP's recent admission that the trooper has been on leave for 2 weeks.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information