MembersZone Subscriber

Default Please help me out

Alright, I am about ready to graduate high school, and I already have my EMT-B license, and I just took the state test for Firefighter II. I am going to college for a degree in fire science. Now my question is should I go for my paramedic first, or should I get my bachelors in fire science first? Or should i do them both at the same time? I would like to get my bachelors in fire science first, then get my paramedic, but that's just me. If you would all please give me your input, im looking for ideas and help.

Thanks
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

It depends on the departments you want to get hired by are looking for. If they are hiring FF/medics then I would say go for your medic. I would say be a great EMT before going into medic school. You should want to become a medic to better the Pt not to just get hired by a dept. Medic is alot of hard work. I personally have not taken it yet but I have seen what it does to other people. Getting your bachelors wouldn't be a bad idea but you don't have to get it right away. One option that you can do is get your Associates while working at an ambulance company. You get a degree and experince at the same time. Or even if you wanted to, you could try joining the military. Have the government pay for your schooling.

There are a thousand and one ways to get hired by a dept. The best advice I can give you is to take every test you can get to. Even if its for a city you know you would never work for. It will give you practice for the next test. Go to a local book store and buy a book about the firefighter testing process. Keep reading posts on this website and dont be afraid to ask questions.

I think I got a little off track. Most departments aren't looking for someone who has a bachelors for an entry level job. It will help when you come up for promotion.

Another idea is to find a dept that will hire you as a FF/EMT and pay you to go to medic school. Thats the best deal.

I hope this helps at least a little.

MembersZone Subscriber

yea, thank you for your ideas, but the only thing is i am only 18 and you can't test until you are 21
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

To me it's a no brainer, get your medic first. Most paid departments provide funding for continuing education, I know my dept provides 2 grand a year and even more if it's in the fire science field, why pay for school when the city will pay a big portion of it for you.

Forum Member

Exclamation I made the mistake

Hey I have my EMT-B went to college for criminal justice and if your already a medic you are practically a shoe in for the job. If you get your medic then the company you join does not have to pay for you to get it so its a win win for them. I say get your medic bro.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorAFPD View Post
    Alright, I am about ready to graduate high school, and I already have my EMT-B license, and I just took the state test for Firefighter II. I am going to college for a degree in fire science. Now my question is should I go for my paramedic first, or should I get my bachelors in fire science first? Or should i do them both at the same time? I would like to get my bachelors in fire science first, then get my paramedic, but that's just me. If you would all please give me your input, im looking for ideas and help.

Thanks
    Just as it's been said, it depends on where you live and how they handle paid and volunteer personnel. Where I live all of the firefighters are vollies, and we have a handful of paid first responders.

So, in this case, I'd suggest becoming a paramedic make money, and then go back and take fire science.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for all of your input, and now I am deciding to go for my medic this fall. Im getting my HazMat Ops in July, and FF III in August.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Default Please help me out

Great Informative!

Thread Information