Default POV (lights, siren)

I have heard that some states allow Vol's to use Lights and Sirens.
    Why dosen't Indiana allow this? A siren would help alot.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

because if they do you will be considard a emergancy pov if you think your insurance is high now what it will triple

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1213 View Post
    because if they do you will be considard a emergancy pov if you think your insurance is high now what it will triple
    Because most states won't let you have things that you can't spell. Seriously, my state rejected several red-light permit applications due to the word "Ambulance" being improperly spelled.

To be honest, having emergency lights and a siren does decrease your reponse time to the station. However, this only works when everyone responding has said lights and siren. For example, you have a paramedic responding to the station. The paramedic arrives within 4 minutes, but the driver (who, in this example, doesn't have emergency lights) runs normal traffic and gets there in 7 minutes. What good did the emergency equipment do? On the other hand, if both the ambulance technician and driver has emergency equipment, they will arrive quicker.

Still, we must ask ourselves if this response variance really makes a difference. For all but the most serious calls, the answer is no. It is that very reason why I'm 50/50 on this issue.

I personally run emergency equipment on vehicle, in a relatively limited number of situations. In general, I never have any problems making the first out truck/ambulance. Thankfully, our department regulates the type of calls that we are to repond emergency status.

Does anyone remember those cool terms from EVOC? "True emergency." "Due regard."

Bottom line: If your state and department allows it, get your flashies; If not, don't.

How far away from the fire station do you live anyhow?
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT
    Valley Grove Vol. Fire Department

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Professional in either role.

I am about 10 min away. I really don't have a problem with traffic. Most of the time traffic moves out of the way. I am a Grandpa driver I have been told. I don't want to risk my safety or the safety of others to get the Firehouse or scene. I was told to obey all traffic laws, and with the exception of speeding I do. Wig Wags and a Whelen Talon below my rearview mirror is all that I really need. I do have a Talon and rear tail/Backup flashers in the rear. They seem to be working ok.

Forum Member

"...with the exception of speeding, I do"

Not trying to bust your chops but you do realize that in Indiana you have to obey the speed limits as well? There is no 5, 10 or 15mph over although some will tell you there is. Blue light or not, if you're speeding you can be ticketed. If a citizen complains about your excessive speed, many departments will pull your blue light privileges. Heaven forbid, but if you were ever in an accident causing injury to another or causing a fatality you will be personally responsible, not the department. The question you have to ask is is it worth it? Most motorists around here get out of the way for a blue light quicker than a red light anyway, so is it worth possibly ruining the good will that's being shown? I may have misunderstood as you mentioned being a "grandpa driver" but then mention speeding. Either way, being 10min away, speeding isn't going to do much for you anyway.

As to the original question, as has been mentioned, Indiana Code (IC) states that only certified emergency vehicles can have sirens. Changing that would raise your rates (or with many companies make you ineligible for coverage) as well as probably requiring you to have a marked vehicle and annual inspection. The old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. Many, if not most, can get to where they need to be when they need to be without a siren. A lot of the old-timers (including my chief) don't even run a blue light yet they always manage to get where they are needed.

Just some things to ponder....

Be Safe,
    Mike
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

Keeping it together with prayer and the "Handyman's secret weapon" - duct tape!

Forum Member

Default Green Lights in Ontario

In Ontario you can use a Green Light. It may help you get into the ditch quicker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BwQ7-Ytx7E
    Just one man's view from the flames.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe that you may run a red light and siren under two conditions in the state of Indiana:

You may run red light/ siren if your vehicle is "owned" by the municipality or township for which you work. They are then responsible for insuring those vehicles which is somewhat attrocious.

The second is through contract. It is my understanding that a few rural chiefs will contract thier vehicles to the township trustees to allow them to run reds. Again, the insurance is provided by the employer who in turn often stipulates that the employee will supplement or reimburse the costs of insurance.

I heard this second hand so you would have to check with the State for details.

As for the Blue light law listed below in another post....
    In Indiana, the Blue Light is a COURTESY light only...

The user is asking other drivers for the courtesy to take the right of way. You may not exceed the speed limit and you may not violate traffic laws.

The red light and siren DEMAND the right of way.

A D/O may exceed the speed limit with DUE REGARD to other drivers and driving conditions. You must maintain CONTROL of the vehicle.

In plain english... You may exceed a bit as long as you are not endangering the public. Aggressive driving that disregards the publics' safety can and will lead to penalties. (Read in lawsuits for injuries, citations from law enforcement, termination or suspension from service...)

Your light and siren do demand the right of way...but you better be dog-gone sure before you blast through a stop sign, blind corner, or split traffic aggressively because running granny off the road or hitting grandpa as he pokes through an intersection because he is nearly stone deaf is irresponsible at best.

It is hazardous enough with the big red (substitute your FD truck color here) truck running emergent. Adding POVs with sirens and the perception that they are demanding the right of way can only decrease safety to the general public.
    Last edited by Fireeaterbob; 09-22-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Correct me if I am wrong but in Evansville, possibly all of Vanderburgh County, Vollys are allowed to have a blue light. Now I am not sure on the siren part, much less do I know the regulations on weather or not they are allowed to speed or not. I did see a Volly on the Loyd Expressway and Burkhart road one evening attending to a MVA. He has a blue light on the dash and wig wags in the tail lights I believe, This is the one and only time I have seen a Volly actually use there blue light.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but in Evansville, possibly all of Vanderburgh County, Vollys are allowed to have a blue light. Now I am not sure on the siren part, much less do I know the regulations on weather or not they are allowed to speed or not. I did see a Volly on the Loyd Expressway and Burkhart road one evening attending to a MVA. He has a blue light on the dash and wig wags in the tail lights I believe, This is the one and only time I have seen a Volly actually use there blue light.
    You are correct. Volunteers are allowed to run blue lights throughout the state. The laws can be seen here...

http://ivfa.org/Blue_Light_Law.htm

There are several states that allow the use of red lights and sirens, Michigan and Kentucky being two of them. Indiana DOES have a clause for allowing Chiefs and one other officer I believe, to run RL&S. However, I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now. Be thankful for the blue lights, some states, such as California, allow NO use of POV lighting. Whereas Texas, it is virtually unregulated as to colors, types, etc.

Green lights are also allotted to volunteer EMS. Unfortunately, they are a little more conservative on the law, as the State hasn't updated it yet. Green light laws are here...

http://ivfa.org/Green_Light_Law.htm

Default hamster

has anyone heard the update on firepolice using red&blue grill lights in newyork state?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    has anyone heard the update on firepolice using red&blue grill lights in newyork state?
    What did it sound like???

Read this sonny:

Title 3, Article 9, Section 375 (2) (c) of the NYS VTL: "No lamp shall be used on a motor vehicle having a light source greater than thirty-two candle power, unless such lamp is approved by the commissioner as provided by this section. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any light which is permitted to be displayed only on an authorized emergency vehicle, a hazard vehicle or a vehicle which is permitted to display a blue or green light pursuant to paragraphs four and five of subdivision forty-one of this section."

Title 3, Article 9, Section 375 (41) (4) Blue light.
    a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation....
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Default check it out

check out new york state vtl #s5021-2011.its a new bill waiting to get passed.new york state fire police red & blue grill lights.

Thread Information