Forum Member

Default Kansas City Area Firefighters - Just looking for some guidance...

Hey guys. I am somewhat new to firehouse. I live outside the Kansas City area (near Lawrence, KS) and have been a volunteer firefighter for over 4 years. I was always told that "If you want to get hired as a firefighter, become a paramedic".... So thats what I did. I completed an Associates in Applied Science Fire Medic and have these certs:
    -IFSAC Fire I, Fire II, Hazmat Awareness, Hazmat Ops, Driver/Operator: Pumper, Driver/Operator: Aerial
    -EPA Hazmat Technician
    -CPAT and FSEE (86)
    -NREMT-Paramedic
    -NREMT-Basic, Kansas EMT, & Missouri EMT
    -BLS, ACLS, PALS, & ITLS
    -IS100, IS200, IS700, & IS800

I know it probably doesn't matter too much to hiring boards, but I am planning on getting my bachelors in fire service management in Fall of 2010.
    Now that I am done with school, I have nothing to do but volunteer more time at the fire station and wait for a phone call. I have been applying for 6 months and have had very little luck. The department that I did get interviews with had to postpone hiring due to this messed up economy.

So I have a couple questions:
    1.) I have applied to three different Missouri fire departments over the past 6 months and none of them have started me through their hiring process. Do Missouri departments not accept IFSAC certs?

2.) What can I do to better prepare myself for a career? I bought some books on the history of firefighting... And I have been practicing for interviews. Any training I should be thinking about?

Nobody ever told me about how time completely stops when you are job searching. If you guys have any advice, I would really appreciate hearing it. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Its tough out there right now. My advice is to use that medic cert you got. MAST is ALWAYS hiring. Check them out online. Also check out Gladstone and North Kansas City Fire Departments. Both are small departments, but they like medics with all the certs you have. Look for something in EMS until the cities get there budgets figured out. Keep your chin up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by elswappo View Post
    Its tough out there right now. My advice is to use that medic cert you got. MAST is ALWAYS hiring. Check them out online. Also check out Gladstone and North Kansas City Fire Departments. Both are small departments, but they like medics with all the certs you have. Look for something in EMS until the cities get there budgets figured out. Keep your chin up
    Thanks for the advice. I had been thinking about going to EMS for a while. I think I could learn a lot from being on MAST and I actually put in an application with them last week. I did most of my paramedic internship with them and really liked it there.
    And you're right about it being tough out there. I remember people telling me that "you'll be turning down job offers once you get your medic." Well if that was ever true, its not now.
    Thanks again for the advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

yea time are tough. I friend of mine that is on Leawood said they had 50 guys within 30 days, just for one spot. Did you get in on the KCK hire a few months ago? I know they hired a bunch of guys, medics especially.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

At the time of their hiring, I was still finishing up my paramedic so I figured I would get passed up. That was stupid though... I should have at least applied. Now I know better.
    I did apply to Leawood. They had their physical ability test scheduled for next week but had to move it back. I imagine its because they had an overwhelming amount of applicants and they need to choose 30 for the PT. I have applied to just about everywhere that will take an application... EMS and Fire. Probably at least another 6 months before Leavenworth hires, right?
    Oh well, I'll just keep training and working hard because all I can do now is be prepared.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Gurrenteed View Post
    Hey guys. I am somewhat new to firehouse. I live outside the Kansas City area (near Lawrence, KS) and have been a volunteer firefighter for over 4 years. I was always told that "If you want to get hired as a firefighter, become a paramedic".... So thats what I did. I completed an Associates in Applied Science Fire Medic and have these certs:
    -IFSAC Fire I, Fire II, Hazmat Awareness, Hazmat Ops, Driver/Operator: Pumper, Driver/Operator: Aerial
    -EPA Hazmat Technician
    -CPAT and FSEE (86)
    -NREMT-Paramedic
    -NREMT-Basic, Kansas EMT, & Missouri EMT
    -BLS, ACLS, PALS, & ITLS
    -IS100, IS200, IS700, & IS800

I know it probably doesn't matter too much to hiring boards, but I am planning on getting my bachelors in fire service management in Fall of 2010.
    Now that I am done with school, I have nothing to do but volunteer more time at the fire station and wait for a phone call. I have been applying for 6 months and have had very little luck. The department that I did get interviews with had to postpone hiring due to this messed up economy.

So I have a couple questions:
    1.) I have applied to three different Missouri fire departments over the past 6 months and none of them have started me through their hiring process. Do Missouri departments not accept IFSAC certs?

2.) What can I do to better prepare myself for a career? I bought some books on the history of firefighting... And I have been practicing for interviews. Any training I should be thinking about?

Nobody ever told me about how time completely stops when you are job searching. If you guys have any advice, I would really appreciate hearing it. Thanks in advance.
    I just wanted to take a moment to tell you that I admire you for everything that you have accomplished. The general rule of thumb is that it takes 5-7 years to get hired. Of course, that is not always the case, but patience is a virtue, especially in this economy. It shouldn't take much for someone to sit up and take notice of your hard work and dedication. Make sure that you have practiced extensively for your oral boards and it doesn't hurt to go through every process that you can for the experience. There is a alot of info on here. If you can get some firefighters to do a mock oral board and record yourself so that you can see how you interview, you can improve any shortcomings also. I wish the best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Myfireangel; 09-22-2009 at 08:00 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

For what its worth, OP's hiring right now i hear.
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are accepting Appts now for our test in Jan. If your aren't against moving we hire Medics alot and your chances increase with your medics license. I grow up in Shawnee, KS and got my medics license in MO. and worked for Joplin FD before doing a latteral transfer hire to Vegas. I can tell you it's a very good department. Good luck

Thread Information