Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Forum Member

Our 100' Smeal Midmount Platform came in at around $870,000.Plus 47k for loose equipment.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-04-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Forum Member

Talking

Buff send me a pm with your e-mail & i'll send you some pictures. I know it's hard to believe that innovation in the fire service happens outside of PEE- ay.
    As tim said come on north and open your brain,you might learn something about building things with Yankee frugality. we don't waste time or money on unnecessisary things.

What will it take to convince you copies of the cancelled checks ????
    Chassis cost us 30k for a brand new sitting on the truck dealers lot down in new haven Ct. lot 3 year old GMC T8500.
    Sticker was 47k originally . 330hp Cat with 6 speed manual, long frame .

1st payment to builder on chassis delivery to them 60k
    second payment to builder at body completion ready to paint insp. 60k
    final payment on delivery to our station 80k.
    The way I was taught math that comes out to a grand total of:
    [drum roll please] $ 230,000.00 American green dollars. As far as the builder come to New England to see their trucks.

MembersZone Subscriber

WHO IS THE BUILDER?

So not an NFPA chassis.

What length is the body? 16-18' sounds about max for that chassis.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    WHO IS THE BUILDER?

So not an NFPA chassis.

What length is the body? 16-18' sounds about max for that chassis.
    Not only that, but if they have all the equipment mentioned, plus the command module, PLUS an 8-bottle cascase as mentioned, I bet a steak dinner that it's overweight!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

And we were told by Pirce, Seagrave, Custom Fire, Darley and Toyne we couldn't get built what we wanted for the money we had. Yet we did and more from a well known name in the business. (Nope not ALF)

Forum Member

it's formed aluminum, aluminum foil formed around a sheet of plywood for the body.

Sorry!, i'll be quiet now.

Forum Member

Post Rescue/pumper ?

Can a custom cab 6-man, 1500 gpm, small block motor, hyd gen, stainless body ,21k front axle, 28k rear ,be built for under ( $ 350,000 ) in todays economy ? Most new pumpers in our area are going for about $ 500k with " big block motors " and all the parade stuff !

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    Can a custom cab 6-man, 1500 gpm, small block motor, hyd gen, stainless body ,21k front axle, 28k rear ,be built for under ( $ 350,000 ) in todays economy ? Most new pumpers in our area are going for about $ 500k with " big block motors " and all the parade stuff !
    Parades don't put out fires. So why waste the money, all that does is brag about how much money you are getting to build the trucks for show and not work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Not only that, but if they have all the equipment mentioned, plus the command module, PLUS an 8-bottle cascase as mentioned, I bet a steak dinner that it's overweight!
    I prefer london broil medium well.
    With Maine lobster for an apetizer!
    Whats an nfpa?? An over priced custom cab assembled by one of three companies from parts they bought from someone else?? Why does a commercial truck chassis built by a large american truck corporation not meet your standards.
    We don't care if it looks like a "real " firetruck , it does the job we needed it to fill.
    Why is it you can't think outside the box??
    IAFF disease on the brain ????
    Everyone can't use an overgrown tandem axel monstosity. the truck you sent aphoto of would not fit down many of our roads and would need to be driven for several miles to find somewhere large enough to turn it around.
    When our truck was built it met ALL current nfpa requirements including ground lighting and everything else required by 1901. It is not overweight and actually has a reserve capacity of around 4,800 lbs additional payload. been on the certified scales multiple times during production and after delivery to make sure we got the weight balance correct when loading equipment.
    When your father takes you on a road trip north, stop in and we'll even let you sit in it . :-}

Forum Member

Who was the "local" builder that you speak of? There's a select handful in New England that would attempt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I prefer london broil medium well.
    With Maine lobster for an apetizer!
    Whats an nfpa?? An over priced custom cab assembled by one of three companies from parts they bought from someone else?? Why does a commercial truck chassis built by a large american truck corporation not meet your standards. Show me in my posts where I made that claim
    We don't care if it looks like a "real " firetruck , it does the job we needed it to fill. Show me in my posts where I made that claim
    Why is it you can't think outside the box?? You are certainly the first person ever to accuse me of this. Many on here know that I am quite capable of thinking outside the box.
    IAFF disease on the brain ???? Want to play silly games? Ok, fine. I am what you pretend to be.
    Everyone can't use an overgrown tandem axel monstosity. the truck you sent aphoto of would not fit down many of our roads and would need to be driven for several miles to find somewhere large enough to turn it around.And a commercial chassis with a 30-foot box would? When our truck was built it met ALL current nfpa requirements including ground lighting and everything else required by 1901. But does it meet the minimum standard to be designated a "HEAVY RESCUE"?? It is not overweight and actually has a reserve capacity of around 4,800 lbs additional payload. been on the certified scales multiple times during production and after delivery to make sure we got the weight balance correct when loading equipment. A T8500 GMC, with a 30-foot box, carrying ALL of the equipment that has been previously mentioned, in addition to an 8-bottle cascade unit, and a command module, on a single screw is not overweight? Remember when you mentioned "would it take seeing the canceled checks? Well now I want to see a CAT scale ticket for gross and axle weights, because I simply don't believe that the unit is not overweight. According to GMC's website, the max GVWR for a T8500 (single screw) is 34-39000K. Not a lot of room to play with there after you drop a 30 foot box on it plus all of the other amenities mentioned before.
    When your father takes you on a road trip north, stop in and we'll even let you sit in it . Sorry no road trips up north for me, I have limited vacation days and activities planned with my family for those days. :-}
    Why did you choose to call this unit a "UTILITY" in your private message to me? Is that because it is indeed a "UTILITY" and not a "HEAVY RESCUE?" And whats the hold-up in naming the builder?

I am beginning to form a picture in my mind here of a re-chassied beverage delivery truck that was modified to have a command box and an 8-bottle cascade on it. There is certainly nothing wrong with this, it works for many, has been proven multiple times over (as long as it is not overweight!) .....But when you play word games and say that "Our HEAVY RESCUE came in under $300K equipped" makes me want to drop the bull$hit flag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-04-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Forum Member

Localized thinking.What you posted a picture of AGAIN won't work on the islands.Since you won't ,if you're REAL nice, mebbee Sam will get you some photos.Of the RIG AND the Island roads.A Cushman Golf cart hardly fits there,hehe T.C

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Localized thinking.What you posted a picture of AGAIN won't work on the islands.Since you won't ,if you're REAL nice, mebbee Sam will get you some photos.Of the RIG AND the Island roads.A Cushman Golf cart hardly fits there,hehe T.C
    The soda truck above TC??? How will that not work as opposed to a commerical chassis with a 30 foot box????

The whole point of this excercise was stated in the last paragraph of my last post- I threw down the bull$hit gauntlet at someone who said their HEAVY RESCUE came in under $300K, equipped.

Now it appears that the pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together, as Mr. Island sent me a private message calling it a "Utility." Had he said that in his original posting I.E. "our utility came in equipped under 300K," I would have kept reading. It's not apples and apples here, it's definitely apples and oranges.

Forum Member

You can call it a pumpkin if you want. Up here we call ambulances ,rescue-1 so to avoid confusion with dispatch we called it U-2 in honor of the bosses favorite musical group.
    It is not a recycled beer truck it was purpose built from our design by a custom fabricator. It was built by EVM in freeport.

Pictures are on the way today to the cheese whizz capital of america.
    The nearest cat scale is 70 miles away so shat out of luck on that.
    You can keep up the flag waving.

Forum Member

But there's some in Blue Surburbans who will GLADLY weigh you.After all,it IS Trucker SAFETY week(read in fill the coffers week).
    Buff,Apples and qranges;Add a little sushi and you've got a meal. You want your blood pressure meds now? I haven't seen the rig so I'm not gonna be a huge help with that.EVM has built some interesting vehicles over their short life span.My neighbore have a Mack tanker built by them,it's worked well. T.C.

Forum Member

EVM has built some interesting vehicles over their short life span.
    My curiosity piqued, so I tried to find these guys.....One website had a link that is now dead......No telephone listing for EVM in Lewiston, Maine. No telephone listing for anywhere in Maine for that matter......Nozzing. Zip. Nadda. Zero.

Are they now defunct? Dead? Bye Bye? Out of Bizness? Gone? Bankrupt? If they sold a 30 foot apple (equipped) for under $300K I can see why!

Forum Member

Post Rescue/Engine

Woodbridge,

What you are describing kinda sounds alot like the engine my dept took delivery of 2 years ago. Then, the price tag was 395,000. I just spoke with the rep we purchased the engine from and he gave me a ballpark of 425-450. Look at page 1 of this thread for a better description.

I'm no apparatus pro but I have to agree that the price for the Utility, Heavy Rescue or whatever it's called seems awfully cheap.

Be safe all and buckle up!!!!
    Last edited by mnfirecapt09; 06-04-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to......

Forum Member

Buff,I could make this easy on you but I kinda like the frazzeled look(yours). The players (major) of EVM are still around but EVM per se is gone. As I said earlier,they made a decent vehicle but tried to get too big too fast. Then the economy tanked. All the principals are still working in the apparatus business. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-04-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Forum Member
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I've seen some of EVM's work, and I can't say that I could accurately judge their work to one side or the other.

I did, however, re-wire a portion of a console in the front of a F550 "light duty" type rescue truck after the wiring had failed. An undersized wire (1, 18 guage wire ) for two radios, battery charger, etc, had failed and burnt through.

On the same piece, other wiring was repaired where "open" butt connectors were used in place of an appropriate connectors that had been shink-wrapped, sealed, and properly secured with strain relief in place.

For the record, I didn't / don't work for EVM's competition. I was working, at the time, for a private radio shop in Vermont that did lights and sirens as well.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Buff,I could make this easy on you but I kinda like the frazzeled look. The players (major) of EVM are still around but EVM per se is gone. As I said earlier,they made a decent vehicle but tried to get too big too fast. Then the economy tanked. All the principals are still working in the apparatus business. T.C.
    If yer feeling froggy, then LEAP! Island tried!

Forum Member

Default Could this be the baby?

Okay me thinks I have found it. I must say that Philly Rescue was Heavy. I should know because I spent two weeks delivering and training the guys on it and riding with them. I don't think I would classify the pictured unit a a heavy rescue but that's how I view it. I would say that this would be in the medium rescue classification primarily because of the chassis. I delivered many rescues in my time with Saulsbury and while I do not know everything about fire apparatus I feel I am fairly well versed in them. I met Chuck De Grandpe and he seemed to know fire apparatus. He worked with Pro Poly and built quite a few Poly-Built units.

Credit do to the listed Photog.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fyrtrks; 06-04-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Is that the word "Utility" painted on the cab?

If it looks like a Utility....

If it has the GVWR of a Utility....

Forum Member

THEN YOU might be a REDNECK,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

That doesn't look like a 30 foot box.....That truck is barely 30 feet in itself!

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information