Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    EVM has built some interesting vehicles over their short life span.
    My curiosity piqued, so I tried to find these guys.....One website had a link that is now dead......No telephone listing for EVM in Lewiston, Maine. No telephone listing for anywhere in Maine for that matter......Nozzing. Zip. Nadda. Zero.

Are they now defunct? Dead? Bye Bye? Out of Bizness? Gone? Bankrupt? If they sold a 30 foot apple (equipped) for under $300K I can see why!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Post Rescue/Engine

Woodbridge,

What you are describing kinda sounds alot like the engine my dept took delivery of 2 years ago. Then, the price tag was 395,000. I just spoke with the rep we purchased the engine from and he gave me a ballpark of 425-450. Look at page 1 of this thread for a better description.

I'm no apparatus pro but I have to agree that the price for the Utility, Heavy Rescue or whatever it's called seems awfully cheap.

Be safe all and buckle up!!!!
    Last edited by mnfirecapt09; 06-04-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to......

Buff,I could make this easy on you but I kinda like the frazzeled look(yours). The players (major) of EVM are still around but EVM per se is gone. As I said earlier,they made a decent vehicle but tried to get too big too fast. Then the economy tanked. All the principals are still working in the apparatus business. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-04-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

I've seen some of EVM's work, and I can't say that I could accurately judge their work to one side or the other.

I did, however, re-wire a portion of a console in the front of a F550 "light duty" type rescue truck after the wiring had failed. An undersized wire (1, 18 guage wire ) for two radios, battery charger, etc, had failed and burnt through.

On the same piece, other wiring was repaired where "open" butt connectors were used in place of an appropriate connectors that had been shink-wrapped, sealed, and properly secured with strain relief in place.

For the record, I didn't / don't work for EVM's competition. I was working, at the time, for a private radio shop in Vermont that did lights and sirens as well.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Buff,I could make this easy on you but I kinda like the frazzeled look. The players (major) of EVM are still around but EVM per se is gone. As I said earlier,they made a decent vehicle but tried to get too big too fast. Then the economy tanked. All the principals are still working in the apparatus business. T.C.
    If yer feeling froggy, then LEAP! Island tried!

Default Could this be the baby?

Okay me thinks I have found it. I must say that Philly Rescue was Heavy. I should know because I spent two weeks delivering and training the guys on it and riding with them. I don't think I would classify the pictured unit a a heavy rescue but that's how I view it. I would say that this would be in the medium rescue classification primarily because of the chassis. I delivered many rescues in my time with Saulsbury and while I do not know everything about fire apparatus I feel I am fairly well versed in them. I met Chuck De Grandpe and he seemed to know fire apparatus. He worked with Pro Poly and built quite a few Poly-Built units.

Credit do to the listed Photog.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fyrtrks; 06-04-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Fyrtrks

Is that the word "Utility" painted on the cab?

If it looks like a Utility....

If it has the GVWR of a Utility....

THEN YOU might be a REDNECK,hehe T.C.

That doesn't look like a 30 foot box.....That truck is barely 30 feet in itself!

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Compressed imagery,hehe T.C.

It's a two-piece heavy rescue company. That's the "utility", the smaller of the two units.

MembersZone Subscriber

343 Rescue, I thought the same thing, but being on the apparatus committee I have some "inside knowledge". We had many long meetings trying to come up with a way to get the Seagrave but to no avail. Pierce was the next best option and after driving and inspecting a few neighboring units we went with Pierce. 72 is gonna get a much needed break and then we will most likely alternate the Pierce and Seagrave as front line wagon. Hopefully we'll see her backing in the firehouse sometime in August.

Well, it's good to see that 7's getting a new wagon. Congrats.

72's a beast, and one badass mo-fo of a wagon.

-Vermont

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks View Post
    Okay me thinks I have found it. I must say that Philly Rescue was Heavy. I should know because I spent two weeks delivering and training the guys on it and riding with them. I don't think I would classify the pictured unit a a heavy rescue but that's how I view it. I would say that this would be in the medium rescue classification primarily because of the chassis. I delivered many rescues in my time with Saulsbury and while I do not know everything about fire apparatus I feel I am fairly well versed in them. I met Chuck De Grandpe and he seemed to know fire apparatus. He worked with Pro Poly and built quite a few Poly-Built units.

Credit do to the listed Photog.
    Yes that is the truck. It was taken at their shop during nfpa electrical load testing
    So as I understand the reasoning , if this had the second drive axel under it ,would it be a heavy?? We decided against a tandem due to road limitations.
    Chuck & his crew built a cafs engine for us in in 2001 in addition to U-2, in 2003 and the same folks that built them now sevice them under another business venture.

Buff check your e-mail , lots of photos there.

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Buff check your e-mail , lots of photos there.
    Yes. Lots of photos of a UTILITY truck, that could HARDLY qualify as a "Squad" company, MUCH LESS a heavy rescue! There isn't even a complete set of tools for gawd's sake! If I am seeing the pictures correctly, I THINK I see ONE combi-tool! No spreaders, no cutters, no rams.

If you got this piece for less than $300K equipped, all the power to you. I am sure it suits you fine and works well for you. Just don't call it a Heavy Rescue. Don't even call it a light rescue. "Utility" is a perfectly suitable name for it. In our own house we have an FL80 Freightliner with a box just a bit larger than yours, (including the crew cab running behind the main cab with SCBA seats for three.) We also have a tower, a cascade and lots of tools. It is also designated utility (although for purposes of our County system it is officially designated "Special Service 11."

Now Boys!

I think it could be classified as a medium rescue because it is on a medium duty chassis. I delivered many units that could be considered heavy rescues and were on commercial chassis. The units I can think of as great examples are Port Penn De., Conneaut Oh., Pikesville, Md., Camden NJ., Hollywood Md.

Again I am sure someone who knows nothing about firefighting from the federal groernment will be able to classify these units in NIMS and ICS. It will only cost the $300,000. That was spend on IslandFires' rescue to do so.
    Fyrtrks

Oh,Nims will classify it as a heavy toolbox or some other term you never heard of before.Want something frig*ed up? Just get the Federal government involved in it.God knows they've done such a banner job of managing their own affairs. T.C.

Thread Information