Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default The cost of fire apparatus...

I'm sure we all know that the cost of custom-chassis fire apparatus has spiked considerably in the last couple of years. As an example, we purchased a Sutphen 95-foot tower with a 1500 gpm pump in 2007 for $763K. What does a similar tower cost now? What have you bought, and what did it cost?
    Last edited by fyreline; 05-29-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    "SYRACUSE - An ISO Class One Fire Department"

Default Information about fire apparatus inflation

I've written several articles drawn from our files about the bite of inflation on department budgets. I've linked them here:

http://www.firefinanceguy.com/2008/0...n-they-go.html

http://www.firefinanceguy.com/2009/0...n-bite-of.html

http://www.firefinanceguy.com/2009/0...-ready-to.html

http://www.firefinanceguy.com/2008/1...t-problem.html

I hope this information helps. Generally, my clients have seen price inflation of about 6% per year over the past few years - not including regulatory spikes from EPA and NFPA.

For the $763,000 truck, that means it would cost about $857,000 just 2 years later, not including EPA engine and 2009 NFPA requirements.

It's kind of scary out there.

John R. Hill

MembersZone Subscriber evfd3100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
    I'm sure we all know that the cost of custom-chassis fire apparatus has spiked considerably in the last couple of years. As an example, we purchased a Sutphen 95-foot tower with a 1500 gpm pump in 2007 for $763K. What does a similar tower cost now? What have you bought, and what did it cost?
    Last year we bought an E-One 2500 gallon pumper/tanker. It is essentially a first due engine with a 2500 gallon water tank. We have the pump-body setup just like our other two engines. It has a Typhoon-Medium cab, 10kw Onan genset, NightScan Chief, brow lights, extended front bumper w/ jump line, around the pump foam system w/30 gallon cell, 1500 GPM Hale QMAX, electric drop tank rack with 3000 gallon drop tank, etc.

With every piece of equipment to get full ISO credit (every MSA SCBA, piece of hose, hand tool, MSA TIC, nozzle, ladder, etc) ready to go to a call the second it rolled into our jurisdiction was $496,499. The cost of the equipment was around $63k, so the truck itself was probably around $434k. We used Task Force Tips for every piece of loose equipment that we could and it saved a tremendous amount of money on equipment. If anybody lives in the Southeast and receives mail from Sunbelt Fire, there was a Task Force Tips advertisement featuring this truck and the fact that we speced it with TFT equipment.

Anyway, here is a link to the truck: http://www.e-one.com/news/new-delive...ies.htm?id=650
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Forum Member

In 07 we took delivery of an E-One engine with rescue style compartments includidn "coffin" compartments, 1500 gpm, 500 gal, 2 preconnect Holmatro reels, transverese "locker compartment" ahead of the pump, fully equiped. It came in at $550K
    Link to the engine : http://www.mvfd5.com/rescue_engine_5-1.php

We currently have being build an E-One 100 ft. tiller. E-One totaly redesigned it for us to allow for 200+ ft of ladders in the tunnel and higer compartments. Fully equiped it's price take was a bit over $1.2 Million.

Funny thing... we were looking through some old files at the station and found the letter for the municipality written in 1973 that "officialy" gave us approval to spend $137K on a new American LaFrance Snorkel and the letter of approval for our current ladder, an 89 E-One 135' ladder for the price of $425K.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies - keep 'em coming! I think it's helpful for us to have a thread here to talk price. Just keep in mind that every rig is different, and yes, we are more than likely comparing apples and oranges. The reality is that some variety of apple or orange is what we're going to buy, so let's stroll around the Farmer's Market and see what prices are like. I would like to see some prices on comparable mid-mount or rear-mount towers purchased recently. I've seen many of these "reported" to have cost over a million dollars, which I can easily believe. We're not running a contest here to see who spent the most, just trying to share some real-world "ballpark figures" so we can make informed decisions. let's learn something. You can help.

Talking

2008 f-550 chassis with 250 gpm 80 cfm cafs 300 gal tank brush truck fully equipped 130 k

2009 PL custom ALS ambulance ,E-450, big box, well equipped , 147 k.

2003 heavy rescue 30 foot with command module, under 300k equipped.
    built by local vendor, priced by the big builders at 450k.

We are writing specs for a new tanker right now to go out to bid .

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    2003 heavy rescue 30 foot with command module, under 300k equipped.built by local vendor, priced by the big builders at 450k.
    What kind of drugs are you on? I want some!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

if we are going to talk price, lets talk size too. These pieces are getting expensive and getting giant. I've seen firehouses that aren't even that old, where the apparatus is a tight fit and these firehouses were built during the time of motorized apparatus. everything is getting big big big

Forum Member

Smile Apparatus

http://www.customfire.com/details.php?id=65

We took delivery of the rescue 4 years ago. The price then was approximately $297,000.

http://www.customfire.com/details.php?id=53

$165,000 2 years ago for the tanker/tender.

I can't find a photo of the engine we took delivery of shortly before that. Price tag on the engine was $395,000. Here's some of the specs:

Spartan Metro Star chassis with seating for 5
    1750 gmp pump with enclosed topmount controls
    all LED Lighting
    Stainless body
    10k generator
    light tower
    remote control deluge gun
    enclosed ladder rack with storage for pike poles
    Foam Pro 20 gallon cell
    750 gallon poly tank
    on spot chains
    Federal Q
    2 portable 750k lights mounted on rear corners
    dual electric cord reels with rewind (one on each side of apparatus)
    traverse compartment for backboard storage
    Last edited by mnfirecapt09; 05-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What kind of drugs are you on? I want some!
    I'll have to dig up a photo or a few and e-mail them to you buff. We got the truck custom built to OUR specs for about 225k , the rest was equipment. The two big boys that bid on it were 135-150k more plus the equipment.

We had a visit from some feds to inspect our previous grant and they were very impressed with what we managed to do for so little $$$$.

A thirty foot HEAVY RESCUE with a command module, equipped, for under 300K? You can't buy the equipment to stock a thirty foot heavy rescue for 300K. I think your definition of a "Heavy Rescue" (and the equipment carried) and mine are different.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Chief, two Virginia departments recently took delivery of rear mount tower ladders built by Pierce. One is a Sky-Arm with pump, tank, and CAFS to every discharge including both ladder pipes, and the price was about $1.35M.

The other is a more traditional RM TL with tank and pump, and it's cost was about $900K.

Our department's last RM TL purchase (about 3 years) ago was $880,000. It's a dry Pierce Dash. We're getting ready to order another one in a few months, we'll see how the price tag is presented to us.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Again, more good and useful information. While we are all aware of the added expense that the new EPA regulations have added to the cost of most new fire apparatus, and also of the typical 3% or more price increase per year, it seems that the overall cost of large custom fire apparatus has taken a pretty severe spike over the last year.

Forum Member

Prices have risen tremendously based on the "rising cost" steel. Now that costs have moderated and even gone done some are we going to see a drop in prices. I doubt it. We are receiving a Pierce Custom Contender tomorrow;
    365hp Cummins
    1250gpm/720water/30 foam
    Husky foam system
    6kw hydrualic generator
    low hosebed desigm
    hydrualic ladder rack
    Truck was 307,000 with equipment 399,812 (400,000 budget)

Forum Member

We have a Sutphen SPH-100 on the floor their floor right now. 1500 gpm pump, 15kw hyd. generator, more than the min. NFPA ground ladders, 10 position intercom/headset system, no watertank, and a boat load of equipment including SCBA, Thermal camera, all hose, nozzles, and appliances, etc. for approximatley $1.1 mil.
    Purchased a Sutphen 100' in 1997 for approx. $630,000.

Forum Member

Anybody know what the new Seagrave pumpers FDNY is getting are costing, on a per unit basis? I understand that with an order of 70 or so, the price tag is going to be a lot different than it would be for a department that purchases each piece on an individual basis, but I'd be interested to know regardless.
    Last edited by tms122; 06-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post

2003 heavy rescue 30 foot with command module, under 300k equipped.
    built by local vendor, priced by the big builders at 450k... .
    Receive multiple similar bids from profession builders and one bid from Joe Bagodonuts, who has never built a fire apparatus, that is 33+% lower? Certainly would create some questoins for me. And a bargain deal wouldn't be the 1st thing that comes to mind.

Each supplier has: price = material + labor + profit. The small guy is going to pay MORE for materials/supplies.

MembersZone Subscriber

2009 Arrow XT 1500/500 8 man cab low hose bed LED lights-435k
    2009 Seagrave MII same as above-500k

we went with Pierce

7 with a Pierce wagon? Wouldn't have thought it would happen....

What's going to happen to 72? Become the spare/reserve?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Receive multiple similar bids from profession builders and one bid from Joe Bagodonuts, who has never built a fire apparatus, that is 33+% lower? Certainly would create some questoins for me. And a bargain deal wouldn't be the 1st thing that comes to mind.

Each supplier has: price = material + labor + profit. The small guy is going to pay MORE for materials/supplies.
    Never said it was joe bagodonuts!
    This company had built over a hundred trucks that met the needs of rural departments in our area.
    Same compamy built us a 1000/1000 CAFS pumper in 2000 for 235k and the quality and engineering are superb. The truck has been problem free and gets the job done for us every time.
    Just because a regional builder is small doesnt mean they don't produce a top quality truck for a reasonable price. Add in the fact that they will build what the customer wants & how they want it and it's a win win situation for the customer ,US.

If you want to pay too much for a truck that the big box builder wants to build go ahead and spend your hard fought dollars foolishly. We don't have the spare funds laying around to throw away for a nameplate.

Thread Information