Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FredCo MD USA
    Posts
    248

    Question Written Exam Question - Psyche Related

    I recently took a test which had 2 parts (I believe it was called an OI test??). Anyways, the first part was general knowledge, math skills, spelling, blah blah blah. I KNOW I aced that part. Pretty easy.
    Now the second part was more of a personality profile. It had questions pertaining to our personality, preferences, our thoughts and perceptions of others, etc. You answer either "strongly agree, agree, not sure, disagree, or strongly disagree." Many of the questions were the same just asked differently or 1 positive, then the same questions posed negatively. Anyways, I failed the written test today and I'm sure it was because of this section because section 1 was just too easy (know your spelling, grammar, and remember basic algebraic equations from 9th grade and you're good..). WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY LOOKING FOR HERE???
    Also, the way some of the questions are worded are frustrating, making a huge sweeping generalization about your life or your perception of others which, we all know, people who use these sweeping stereotypes or generalizations are bigots. Knowing how to answer these seem to be my problem.
    For instance, one of the statements was, "Most people are anxious and tense." And then there was, "Many people often feel stressed." Depending on how you read them, they could be making the same statement, just in different ways. I put disagree to the first (because I don't believe everyone walks around in a constant state of anxiety) but I put agree to the second one (because I do believe many people often feel stress - it's part of life - bills, education, work, kids, etc., but that doesn't mean they are "anxious and tense", which I believe sounds like a constant state of being).
    Anyways, I'm ineligible for 12 months now at that department but will be continuing my pursuit of a badge so any help on this personality section would be a huge help. THANKS!!
    Last edited by johnsonizzle; 05-30-2009 at 03:22 PM.


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    I recently took a test which had 2 parts (I believe it was called an OI test??). Anyways, the first part was general knowledge, math skills, spelling, blah blah blah. I KNOW I aced that part. Pretty easy.
    Now the second part was more of a personality profile. It had questions pertaining to our personality, preferences, our thoughts and perceptions of others, etc. You answer either "strongly agree, agree, not sure, disagree, or strongly disagree." Many of the questions were the same just asked differently or 1 positive, then the same questions posed negatively. Anyways, I failed the Howard County, MD written test today and I'm sure it was because of this section because section 1 was just too easy (know you're spelling, grammar, and remember basic algebraic equations from 9th grade and you're good..). WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY LOOKING FOR HERE???
    Also, the way some of the questions are worded are frustrating, making a huge sweeping generalization about your life or your perception of others which, we all know, people who use these sweeping stereotypes or generalizations are bigots. Knowing how to answer these seem to be my problem.
    For instance, one of the statements was, "Most people are anxious and tense." And then there was, "Many people often feel stressed." Depending on how you read them, they could be making the same statement, just in different ways. I put disagree to the first (because I don't believe everyone walks around in a constant state of anxiety) but I put agree to the second one (because I do believe many people often feel stress - it's part of life - bills, education, work, kids, etc., but that doesn't mean they are "anxious and tense", which I believe sounds like a constant state of being).
    Anyways, I'm ineligible for 12 months now at that department but will be continuing my pursuit of a badge so any help on this personality section would be a huge help. THANKS!!
    this post wont be of much help but i am starting to study for my written coming up and we have questions like this too (i think it's IO solutions) and they jumped out at me as possibly being vague or having multiple answers. as i start to focus in on this area ill be sure to pass along any tips or info i come across. good luck bro

  3. #3
    Forum Member pewter98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    I recently took a test which had 2 parts (I believe it was called an OI test??). Anyways, the first part was general knowledge, math skills, spelling, blah blah blah. I KNOW I aced that part. Pretty easy.
    Now the second part was more of a personality profile. It had questions pertaining to our personality, preferences, our thoughts and perceptions of others, etc. You answer either "strongly agree, agree, not sure, disagree, or strongly disagree." Many of the questions were the same just asked differently or 1 positive, then the same questions posed negatively. Anyways, I failed the Howard County, MD written test today and I'm sure it was because of this section because section 1 was just too easy (know you're spelling, grammar, and remember basic algebraic equations from 9th grade and you're good..). WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY LOOKING FOR HERE???
    Also, the way some of the questions are worded are frustrating, making a huge sweeping generalization about your life or your perception of others which, we all know, people who use these sweeping stereotypes or generalizations are bigots. Knowing how to answer these seem to be my problem.
    For instance, one of the statements was, "Most people are anxious and tense." And then there was, "Many people often feel stressed." Depending on how you read them, they could be making the same statement, just in different ways. I put disagree to the first (because I don't believe everyone walks around in a constant state of anxiety) but I put agree to the second one (because I do believe many people often feel stress - it's part of life - bills, education, work, kids, etc., but that doesn't mean they are "anxious and tense", which I believe sounds like a constant state of being).
    Anyways, I'm ineligible for 12 months now at that department but will be continuing my pursuit of a badge so any help on this personality section would be a huge help. THANKS!!
    Your probably not going to get much response to your questions since there are numerous post very similar (if not exactly the same) as your I/O Solutions Test questions on these forums. Try scrolling down the ENTIRE page of the forum thread boards and do a little research. You will find a lot of information on your topic.

    A word of advice...It would be a good idea for you not to post accusations of someone being a bigot on these forums because you never know who is reading your post (i.e. a department your trying to get a job with!) I understand what you are trying to say, but someone can easily take it out of context and turn it against you.

    A great example of this can be found in the link below. This poster "xstalkrx" was ****ed that he did not get hired and blamed it on minorities (xstalkrx's initial minority comments were taken out by himself, but not before many of us had a chance to quote him on them) Read through the several pages of responses and see how his stupid post caused him to become a ghost on these forums:

    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...=90429&page=14

    Now I'm not saying that your comments are anything like xstalkrx's. But as you can see from the responses that xstalkrx got, it would be wise to watch what you post.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FredCo MD USA
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Sorry for any confusion but i did not mean to accuse anyone of being a bigot, especially any personnel from that county or any of the candidates who took the test. That was my county of choice. Out of the few couties I've visited, I liked them the best. They are a solid group of people.

    My "bigot" comment was maybe a bad analogy but what i was getting at is a lot of the questions are not black and white, however you are forced to give a black or white answer. For instance - "I am a confrontational person." & "I am passive" - Well, I believe I am passive, however if my interests are in jeopardy you better believe I will "confront" the problem head on. This doesnt mean that I am a jerk when confronting someone, only that I will seek to remedy any problems which are affecting me, otherwise I mind my own business and usually try to find win-win solutions to any issues which arise.

    Another one - "Sometimes I pretend to be nice to people even if I don't feel like it." ????? As an EMT/FF, I would hope they would like the answer "strongly agree" since we have to be around people all the time and be an advocate to them, treat them with dignity and respect, and try to make their "emergency" as pleasant as possible whether they are a sweet little kid or a hypochondriac who is just looking for a free ride to the hospital. However, on the flip side, the "strongly agree" answer could nail you to the wall as being deceptive and superficial....

    whew.... i guess my mind is still just racing a million miles a minute because I thought I nailed it. Again, no disrespect to ANYONE involved in this process - I'm just trying to understand how to answer these questions. Thanks again.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    I KNOW I aced that part. Pretty easy.
    (know you're spelling, grammar, and remember basic algebraic equations from 9th grade and you're good..)
    Aced the spelling and grammar did ya?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    That was my county of choice. Out of the few couties I've visited, I liked them the best. They are a solid group of people.
    So you don't think highly of the others you visited? This and the choice of the word "bigot" seems to indicate you have a tendancy to stick your foot in your mouth.

    This mini-psych as I used to call it, has to be approached with some basic factors.
    Be friendly.
    Be a team-player.
    And most of all, don't read into the question like you seem to have been doing.

    Good luck,
    bam

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FredCo MD USA
    Posts
    248

    Default

    I thought highly of all the counties - however i do have preferences as each county is different - volunteer to career ratio, technology, area serviced, pay/benefits, training bonus' and incentives, etc.

    Bigot simply means "One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ." I'm not sticking my foot in my mouth. I'm saying that using broad generalizations and stereotypes makes one a bigot. [U]nless I'm reading the definition incorrectly, what I said makes sense. In my 2nd post I was making a clarification, not sticking my foot in my mouth.

    You did get me on the wrong word usage - lol - oh well. I just think the grammar part was extremely easy. "Which one is right - acknowledge, aknowledge, acknolege, or acknawlege?" Anyways, that really has nothing to do with the purpose of my inquiry but thanks for keeping me on my toes - troll.

  7. #7
    Forum Member Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    Sorry for any confusion but i did not mean to accuse anyone of being a bigot, especially any personnel from that county or any of the candidates who took the test. That was my county of choice. Out of the few couties I've visited, I liked them the best. They are a solid group of people.

    My "bigot" comment was maybe a bad analogy but what i was getting at is a lot of the questions are not black and white, however you are forced to give a black or white answer. For instance - "I am a confrontational person." & "I am passive" - Well, I believe I am passive, however if my interests are in jeopardy you better believe I will "confront" the problem head on. This doesnt mean that I am a jerk when confronting someone, only that I will seek to remedy any problems which are affecting me, otherwise I mind my own business and usually try to find win-win solutions to any issues which arise.

    Another one - "Sometimes I pretend to be nice to people even if I don't feel like it." ????? As an EMT/FF, I would hope they would like the answer "strongly agree" since we have to be around people all the time and be an advocate to them, treat them with dignity and respect, and try to make their "emergency" as pleasant as possible whether they are a sweet little kid or a hypochondriac who is just looking for a free ride to the hospital. However, on the flip side, the "strongly agree" answer could nail you to the wall as being deceptive and superficial....

    whew.... i guess my mind is still just racing a million miles a minute because I thought I nailed it. Again, no disrespect to ANYONE involved in this process - I'm just trying to understand how to answer these questions. Thanks again.


    I see about four or more grammer mistakes in this posting. BTW as someone said, be careful what you say, as it is forever! A lot of folks who have the poweer to hire visit these sites.


    Good luck on your venture for a job.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FredCo MD USA
    Posts
    248

    Default

    My god. Can people stop being smart butts and actually give some advice on what I asked about? This is an informal "chat area". I'm not writing a friggin letter to the pope. A)On the test when you have 4 answers to choose from - it's not difficult. B)That has nothing to do with my question.
    Last edited by johnsonizzle; 05-30-2009 at 03:42 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum Member Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Most places want to know if you still know the basics of grammar, math and material that a candidates learned in the junior high years, or if they were just passed for the convenience of the school system.

    Having been involved in this business for many years, I have seen folks come in and think that they have aced the written. In fact very few do. We have administered the entrance exam to a select group across the board of members, who have been on the job from 2 years up to those about ready for retirement. This was conducted to see if these members still retain the ability to take and pass. By the way, none ever ace this. There is always some who for whatever reason marked the wrong choice.

    The basic entrance test is designed to see if the candidates know the basics and still can achieve a high score above the cut off to attend the next step.

  10. #10
    Forum Member pewter98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    197

    Thumbs up Right Direction

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    Sorry for any confusion but i did not mean to accuse anyone of being a bigot, especially any personnel from that county or any of the candidates who took the test. That was my county of choice. Out of the few couties I've visited, I liked them the best. They are a solid group of people.

    My "bigot" comment was maybe a bad analogy but what i was getting at is a lot of the questions are not black and white, however you are forced to give a black or white answer. For instance - "I am a confrontational person." & "I am passive" - Well, I believe I am passive, however if my interests are in jeopardy you better believe I will "confront" the problem head on. This doesnt mean that I am a jerk when confronting someone, only that I will seek to remedy any problems which are affecting me, otherwise I mind my own business and usually try to find win-win solutions to any issues which arise.

    Another one - "Sometimes I pretend to be nice to people even if I don't feel like it." ????? As an EMT/FF, I would hope they would like the answer "strongly agree" since we have to be around people all the time and be an advocate to them, treat them with dignity and respect, and try to make their "emergency" as pleasant as possible whether they are a sweet little kid or a hypochondriac who is just looking for a free ride to the hospital. However, on the flip side, the "strongly agree" answer could nail you to the wall as being deceptive and superficial....

    whew.... i guess my mind is still just racing a million miles a minute because I thought I nailed it. Again, no disrespect to ANYONE involved in this process - I'm just trying to understand how to answer these questions. Thanks again.
    Like I said, I totally get what you are trying to say. Did your search for "I/O Solutions Test" post help answer your questions? I ask because after reading those I/O Solutions Test-related post a while back, there seemed to be a wealth of information dealing with the I/O Solutions Test.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FredCo MD USA
    Posts
    248

    Default

    I did find many posts on this, however there doesnt seem to be a consensus out there. Helpful but still confused...

    One other thing I read is that if you are disqualified due to "psychological reasons" (which section II of this test was), according to the Americans with Disabilities Act you have the right to obtain a 2nd opinion and potentially be reinstated into the process. Is there any validity to this?

    I understand that if i could do that, it would need to be done in a very respectful, professional manner in order to not cause any ripples within that department and exclude me from the process in the future... Just trying to pick your guys' brains.

    Thanks.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    That part of the test does not qualify as a "psychological test". It doesn't directly eliminate a candidate (while it bears a lot of weight for some godforesaken reason) and in all probability cannot be contested in that manner.

    I'm not a fan of that test, but it is one of those out there that you have to take in order to get onto any list. Unfortunately for any candidate taking the test there is no official feedback that one can use to improve their score.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Written Exam
    By hoffmeister in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
  2. 50 question written practice exam
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2007, 04:26 PM
  3. written exam
    By surfnick78 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 12:01 PM
  4. Psyche on Written?
    By CollegeBuff in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 06:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts