Forum Member

Default I've been offered a job...BUT I have to pass this to keep it.

I've been offered the job at a local department under the condition that I pass a polygraph and a psych evaluation.

I have passed two polygraphs already with other departments so I'm not TOO worried about it. However, I know others who have been SCREWED by the BS polygraph testing method.

Anyways, I've never worn a suit to a polygraph before but am wondering if I should go ahead and up my game and wear one? Does that make me look like I'm trying too hard?

I dunno, I just feel like I need to look 100 percent as I am representing my local department and all I have to do is knock out this last step to acheive my dream job.

Insights on the poly and psych please.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    I've been offered the job at a local department under the condition that I pass a polygraph and a psych evaluation.

I have passed two polygraphs already with other departments so I'm not TOO worried about it. However, I know others who have been SCREWED by the BS polygraph testing method.

Anyways, I've never worn a suit to a polygraph before but am wondering if I should go ahead and up my game and wear one? Does that make me look like I'm trying too hard?

I dunno, I just feel like I need to look 100 percent as I am representing my local department and all I have to do is knock out this last step to acheive my dream job.

I wouldn't think you need to wear a suit for the poly. There's nothing wrong with making it obvious how badly you want the job, but a suit may be a bit much. Maybe slacks and polo shirt (tucked in), or a button down should be more than enough.

Also, just my .02 but I'd try to get out of the mentality that the poly (or any other part of the process) is "BS". Now I'm not on the job, just going through my own process too. I try to look at it like this, I want the job, this is what they require for the job so if this is what it takes to get from point A to point B, so be it. If you gotta do it regardless a positive outlook may give you a step up before you even sit down. good luck.

Forum Member

Default What it boils down to is YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post

First off, let's get something straight. It's not YOUR department until you have a badge on your chest and a patch on your arm! Until then, your still just a canidate number. I'm sure the current firefighters at the department your applying for would not like someone saying they are a member of the department, when in fact they are not! So you need to have the mindset going into these evaluations that you are still representing only yourself, not the department.

Insights on the poly and psych:

YOU have to come to terms with the numerous idiotic post that YOU have made public and hope that the department you are trying to get a job with has not (or ever does) read your post on these forums!

YOU have to realize your stance (and you making your stance public) on certain hiring practices may be a deciding factor once the department reviews your evaluations. That is, if you have been truthful in answering minority-related questions in the first place.

YOU have to realize that you claiming to be a certified FF/EMT-B in these forums (when you were NOT even finished with EMT-B school and/or NOT with a fire department) was just flat out wrong and a hug slap in the face to every firefighter who has ever earned the title of FIREFIGHTER!!!

Hope this helps you in preparation for your evaluations

Now it's back to sleep before we get toned out again!

P.S.-I think shaving your head would probably be optional for the polygraph and a psych evaluations! Might want to check on that.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

Pewter-Man..harsh...

Ok, Xstalkerx, what are you hiding?

Just dress casual, but don't show up with your favorite concert t-shirt on. Besides, Polygraphs aren't 'lie detectors', as much as they are measuring your response to a question. Just take the tests, don't gripe. If it's what you have to do to the job you want, your'e going to do it.

...ok, seriously, what are you hiding?
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Breech31 View Post
    Pewter-Man..harsh...
    Look at Xstalkerx's history of post and you will start to get an idea of why I was venting and why so many people would like to see him off these boards! Oh...wait a minute! You can't read his dozens of originial post b/c he either deleted or edited them to cover his REAL views and beliefs that he immaturely and continuously posted on this site.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Breech31 View Post
    Pewter-Man..harsh...
    I can vouch for Pewter's comments. I saw xstalkr's comments when they were originally posted. He was trying out for the department I'm with. Based on his comments, he doesn't deserve to work here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    I can vouch for Pewter's comments. I saw xstalkr's comments when they were originally posted. He was trying out for the department I'm with. Based on his comments, he doesn't deserve to work here.
    Thanks agavegrove! My biggest fear is by some sick twist of fate, Xstalkr is currently in the same hiring process as me and we both get hired on. We shall see in the next few weeks. That would definitely be karma coming back to bite me in the @ss!

Thread Information