Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No. Adjustable nozzle. Akron, 75psi/175gpm.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    All you guys with nozzle pressures below 100, are you using smooth bore attack nozzles?
    Nope, Elkhart Chiefs 200 gpm at 75 psi.

Forum Member

Elkharts at 125 psi pump. About 160 gpm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    All you guys with nozzle pressures below 100, are you using smooth bore attack nozzles?
    Yeah, kinda.

We're using the Akron SabreJet nozzle. For fire attack purposes, it's pretty much just a big smoothbore nozzle.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Yeah, kinda.

We're using the Akron SabreJet nozzle. For fire attack purposes, it's pretty much just a big smoothbore nozzle.
    Are you using the BJ on the 2.5" too?

What size tips on the 1 3/4" and 2.5" 's?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    Are you using the BJ on the 2.5" too?

What size tips on the 1 3/4" and 2.5" 's?
    Were you asking if we're also using the SabreJets on the 2.5"? If so, no we aren't. Still using TFT automatics for our 2.5" lines. We had a limited amount of money to buy some new nozzles. We were only able to get 3 nozzles each for our 2 front-line units.

The 1-3/4" nozzles have a 15/16" insert.

Were you asking if we're also using the SabreJets on the 2.5"? If so, no we aren't. Still using TFT automatics for our 2.5" lines. We had a limited amount of money to buy some new nozzles. We were only able to get 3 nozzles each for our 2 front-line units.

The 1-3/4" nozzles have a 15/16" insert.
    What is your flow rates on the two and a half then? Are you looking to get SB on them or sticking with the fogs?

What are some of the good things that you found with the SaberJets and some of the issues?
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

What is your flow rates on the two and a half then?
    Don't really know exactly what the flow rates are for them, never done any flow testing. I'd guess we're pretty much in the "normal" range for it. We really don't use it much. I don't know what the other do, but I usually pump it at 100 plus 5 psi for each for each section as a starting point.

Are you looking to get SB on them or sticking with the fogs?
    I'm not aware of any plans to replace them. We have a number of equipment needs and funding is pretty tight to almost non-existent at times (unless we get a grant) and truthfully replacing the 2.5 nozzles is a very low priority. However we have a new pumper on order that's supposedly coming "fully equipped" which I assume means nozzles too. So we'll just have to wait and see what comes with it.

What are some of the good things that you found with the SaberJets and some of the issues?
    The main good thing is that they work alot better than the ones they replaced. From what I heard, the salesman did a flow demo and our old ones (automatics) were flowing something like less than half what it should've been.

As for the issues............

Our nozzles came with Akron's "Zero torque" attatchment. It makes the entire nozzle close to 2 feet long and adds weight to it. It also makes it difficult to operate in tighter spaces, like between rafters into the attic space. I just don't see the "benefit" of it that they claim with it over not having it. It's also difficult to pack depending on how your crosslays/hoseloads are set up.

Personnally, I don't have a lot of time with the new nozzles since if I'm not pumping, I tend to get assigned to "truck" tasks on scene.

I can't say we really like them, but they definately work better than what we had been using.

Don't really know exactly what the flow rates are for them, never done any flow testing. I'd guess we're pretty much in the "normal" range for it. We really don't use it much. I don't know what the other do, but I usually pump it at 100 plus 5 psi for each for each section as a starting point.
    I would encourage you to do the flow test on them to find out. We had them here about the time I first started until the one fire where the 2.5" didn't seem to do the job properly.. we flowed them and found wwwwaaaaaayyyyy UNDERPUMPED and didn't flow as much as a 1.75" sb 15/16ths. Flow on the 2.5" for a fog/auto we found to flow 300 gpm is 30 per 100 and 100 for the tip (even more for TFT's is ok). Unfortunately "normal" range is 50-350 gpm

I'm not aware of any plans to replace them. We have a number of equipment needs and funding is pretty tight to almost non-existent at times (unless we get a grant) and truthfully replacing the 2.5 nozzles is a very low priority. However we have a new pumper on order that's supposedly coming "fully equipped" which I assume means nozzles too. So we'll just have to wait and see what comes with it.

If i could encourage get sb on the 2.5" b/c a big line is for big water... 1 and 1/8ths or 1 and 1/4th" tips are great for some quantity flows. Do you have any ability to work on the equipment list?

The main good thing is that they work alot better than the ones they replaced. From what I heard, the salesman did a flow demo and our old ones (automatics) were flowing something like less than half what it should've been.
    just something to be wary of with the 2.5" also (it is actually the identical nozzle with a 2.5" thread on the end)

Our nozzles came with Akron's "Zero torque" attatchment. It makes the entire nozzle close to 2 feet long and adds weight to it. It also makes it difficult to operate in tighter spaces, like between rafters into the attic space. I just don't see the "benefit" of it that they claim with it over not having it. It's also difficult to pack depending on how your crosslays/hoseloads are set up.
    I have heard the same from others who have them

Personnally, I don't have a lot of time with the new nozzles since if I'm not pumping, I tend to get assigned to "truck" tasks on scene.
    I have the same luck, unfortunately i love engine work

I can't say we really like them, but they definately work better than what we had been using.
    Thanks for all the info... hope to hear about you new rig and I am interested in how things go.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I would encourage you to do the flow test on them to find out. We had them here about the time I first started until the one fire where the 2.5" didn't seem to do the job properly.. we flowed them and found wwwwaaaaaayyyyy UNDERPUMPED and didn't flow as much as a 1.75" sb 15/16ths. Flow on the 2.5" for a fog/auto we found to flow 300 gpm is 30 per 100 and 100 for the tip (even more for TFT's is ok). Unfortunately "normal" range is 50-350 gpm

I agree, unfortunately that's out of my control.

If i could encourage get sb on the 2.5" b/c a big line is for big water... 1 and 1/8ths or 1 and 1/4th" tips are great for some quantity flows. Do you have any ability to work on the equipment list?

No argument here. I was lobbying for plain old smoothbores when we bought the SabreJets.

just something to be wary of with the 2.5" also (it is actually the identical nozzle with a 2.5" thread on the end)

Yeah, I think I heard that somewhere along the way.

I have heard the same from others who have them

I have the same luck, unfortunately i love engine work

I'm more of an engine guy myself, but don't mind the truck stuff.

Thanks for all the info... hope to hear about you new rig and I am interested in how things go.
    You're welcome.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the replies folks, I appreciate them. As far as the 2 1/2" topic is concerned, I am a huge believer in 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" tips on 2 1/2 lines for attack. We had an old abandoned linseed warehouse fire just last Sunday, and we pulled our 1 1/4" tip with 400 feet of 2 1/2 to the rear and really killed alot of fire in a short order as our truckies opened up a steel covered loading dock door. Once we had a good access point we were able to stand a few feet from the door and shoot that stream to just over midpoint of the building. I love smooth bores on the big lines, would love to have a chance to play with one on an 1 3/4" sometime.

Thread Information