Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Howdy from two states

Our department sits in two states. State of confusion and State of Denial. Oops...... I meant, the state of Georgia and the state of North Carolina. Though this arrangement does cause confusion. Each apparatus has two numbers/names. Each member has two numbers. Of course it doesn't help that each state has our opposite number assigned.

In Rabun county Georgia
    we are station 9
    our trucks are Engine 9, Tanker 9, Brush 9 and Squad 9
    the chief is 951
    we use VHF radios

In Macon county North Carolina
    we are station 19
    our trucks are 1951, 1950, 1953 and 1960
    the chief is 1901
    we use UHF radios

Rabun county also has a station 19 for the county rescue department. Macon county assigns 950 numbers to the NC Forest Service. Maybe the state of confusion is appropriate! It's been more than once that someone checks in route or on scene with the wrong county. I've done it myself.

I joined in 2002 after bailing out of Atlanta for a slower, quieter and saner life style. I'm an interior firefighter and EMT-B. I'm just a few classes short of getting a NC Rescue Technician certification. The bunch of guys and gals in our department are amazing. Anyone who answers a page in the middle of the night, during a thunderstorm, to help someone they don't even know, and probably won't even be thanked by, is a mighty special person. I'm honored to be part.
    Last edited by MarkGramlich; 06-01-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGramlich View Post
    Our department sits in two states. State of confusion and State of Denial. Oops...... I meant, the state of Georgia and the state of North Carolina. Though this arrangement does cause confusion. Each apparatus has two numbers/names. Each member has two numbers. Of course it doesn't help that each state has our opposite number assigned.

In Rabun county Georgia
    we are station 9
    our trucks are Engine 9, Tanker 9, Brush 9 and Squad 9
    the chief is 951
    we use VHF radios

In Macon county North Carolina
    we are station 19
    our trucks are 1951, 1950, 1953 and 1960
    the chief is 1901
    we use UHF radios

Rabun county also has a station 19 for the county rescue department. Macon county assigns 950 numbers to the NC Forest Service. Maybe the state of confusion is appropriate! It's been more than once that someone checks in route or on scene with the wrong county. I've done it myself.

I joined in 2002 after bailing out of Atlanta for a slower, quieter and saner life style. I'm an interior firefighter and EMT-B. I'm just a few classes short of getting a NC Rescue Technician certification. The bunch of guys and gals in our department are amazing. Anyone who answers a page in the middle of the night, during a thunderstorm, to help someone they don't even know, and probably won't even be thanked by, is a mighty special person. I'm honored to be part.
    You bailed out of Atlanta??? Besides you want to be in a retirement fire department with less pay and benifits, tell us the real reason!

You couldn't cut it huh?

Thread Information