Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default A question about questions...

I have an oral board coming up. I tested w/ this department last year but I was not selected. This year I have everything I need and there is no reason why I shouldnt get on (knock on wood) but I want to be prepared for the board.

How would you all answer these questions?

1. Mrs Johnson calls all the time. You know her and the other shifts know her. Last shift she called 3 times, and so far on your shift she has called 2 times. She calls again. Mrs Johnson always checks out medically and doesnt want to go to the hospital. This time she called because "she heard a noise."

What would you do/say to mrs johnson so explain to her that your crew can't be going over there all the time for no reason?

2. Youve come a long way from home (FD is a few hours away), why this fire department?

3. Should I mention that I applied with them a year ago and made it all the way to the end (only to not be selected)?
    I believe that using this, and saying it shows I REALLY want to work w/ the department and am willing to test and go through the process again. Am I right?

Thanks!

Forum Member

1. I would get some more information from Mrs. Johnson regarding the noise, and then let her know that I was going to put my officer on the phone to speak with her. We would likely inform dispatch that we were running a service call, and have them assign an incident number.

Basically, people call us out because they feel that they are legitimately having an emergency. It's not our place to choose which calls we run, and we owe it to the community to at the very least, check things out, as much as some of the runs can suck.

2. Tell the truth. You know why you want to work there. If you're applying for a second time, it couldn't hurt to mention that, as it shows commitment. Most people that try to enter the fire service to ride a recliner for 20+ years would never apply twice for a job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    I have an oral board coming up. I tested w/ this department last year but I was not selected. This year I have everything I need and there is no reason why I shouldnt get on (knock on wood) but I want to be prepared for the board.
    What does that mean? You packed on more credentials? Many do, but still do little or nothing to improve their oral board skills (as you learned last year), which is usually 100% of your score to get hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Should I mention that I applied with them a year ago and made it all the way to the end (only to not be selected)?
    I believe that using this, and saying it shows I REALLY want to work w/ the department and am willing to test and go through the process again. Am I right? Thanks!
    Hereís a candidate who brought up his interview that he failed the last test:

After my interview rejection an east coast city last week, I sent a letter to the D/C thanking him for the opportunity and telling him I'd appreciate any feedback from the interview. Well - he was honest - he indicated he wanted me to keep testing & interviewing, but wrote that I:

-talked too much & over answered the questions
    -talked too fast
    -some of my answers were based on book knowledge (?)

Also - as I mentioned I approached this like I would a corporate interview (BAD IDEA) and I tried to 'close' them at the end - they asked if I had any closing questions (jeez I wish I read your web site before going in) and I opened my big stupid mouth to say 'I kept your rejection letter from last year (I actually showed it to them - this was my second time interviewing) and it mentioned that candidates had failed to prepare and properly sell themselves to the board. I've been working to improve myself in these areas for the past year - have I properly done this?'

The D/C mentioned in his letter back to me that, 'I don't think that showing the rejection letter from last year was the best thing you could have done. It was as if you were showing it off and showing us that you still had it.' I need to keep my damn mouth shut and just answer the questions. Live and learn.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-03-2009 at 12:04 AM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information