Forum Member

Ron,are you referring to a Combi-tool cutter when you say combi cutter? I ask because I cut a Subaru B the other night with our FX4 Resqtek,which amazed even our Resqtek regional rep who didn't think it would do it either.And this IS a Boron reinforced B. He has pictures to prove it. T.C.

Forum Member

I haven't seen all of the articles, so I am curious if there is a tool-by-tool list of what brands and models were tested and the results for each on. I did see a B.E.A.S.T. in a picture from an article I did see, was that one of the "combo" tools, or was that a different "animal" (pun kind of intended)?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Rescue101:

Glad you made it through the B-pillar on a Subaru with a combination cutter/spreader tool. One thing to note; Subaru does NOT use the principle of advanced steel. They instead adopted the design philosophy of MORE steel. Multiple layers but NO advanced steel at this point in time.

The combi cutter you did the demo with was apparently able to cut through what could have been up to seven(7) layers of high-strength, low-alloy steel plus possibly a mild steel 3/8-inch diameter rebar section depending upon where you made your cuts. The top of the B-pillar has no rebar and less layers. The shoulder height area has possibly seven layers plus one or even two rebars.

Do not be deceived or thrown off by your success. NO standard combination cutter tool I tried was able to cut the real stuff; the advanced steels such as Boron. I just don't want you to think that a combi is going to get you through all your future 'tough cuts'. In my opinion, it won't regardless of brand, make, or model.

If you're shooting a mosquito, take a fly swater.

If you're shooting an elephant, take a shotgun.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Ron,that's why I'm asking.This post has a reinforced post as you state WITH the Boron(or so I was told)C reinforcement.My query was also related to your use of the word Combi cutter.Which prompted my query on if you included/meant Combi TOOLS.The Combi is on the Ladder,we have a full set on the Engine.I DO NOT rely on a single tool for ANY purpose. BTW,I'm about to do some field trials with DIAMOND 'cip blades on the exotic steels and see how they work. I/we don't rely on one tool OR system to get the job done. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-16-2009 at 08:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rescue101:

To me, there are dedicated single-purpose cutters and there are combination cutters. A 'combi' as I use the term is one of the smaller cutter units that is most likely designed to be a little spreader as well as a little cutter; combination tool.

I'm glad you have a dedicated cutter unit on the engine. The Truck's combi most likely won't make it as the advanced steels become more and more prevalent.

There isn't any boron or any other type of advanced steel in any Subaru pillar, by the way.

Forum Member

I'm just going by what I was told. In any event, my old cutter(Holmatro 2000) WOULD NOT cut it. That's why I was pleasantly surprised when the FX4 did. I really wanted the FX6 but got outvoted by the Boss. You know how that works.The Combi for us is like a BACKUP tool,we don't First Due the Ladder for crashes,the Rescue Engine is First due to Mva's. The tools on the Engine are due to be replaced before December this year,so ALL of our tools will be new.The Holmatro's have served us very well,the build date on the tools is 1983.So it's time.Thanks for clarifying the Combi cutter,I THOUGHT that's what you meant but I wanted to be sure. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-17-2009 at 08:41 AM.

What website can I find the performance tests done on cutters?

MembersZone Subscriber

The power cutter testing on Boron structural steel in late-model vehicles has been completed. I wrote a five-part article series on this research; May through September magazine issues.

I did not publish the results for specific power rescue cutters tested; pass or fail.

I can send specific information by email to anyone interested in how a specific brand or specific make or model performed.

Rmoore@firehouse.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    Rescue101:

Glad you made it through the B-pillar on a Subaru with a combination cutter/spreader tool. One thing to note; Subaru does NOT use the principle of advanced steel. They instead adopted the design philosophy of MORE steel. Multiple layers but NO advanced steel at this point in time.

The combi cutter you did the demo with was apparently able to cut through what could have been up to seven(7) layers of high-strength, low-alloy steel plus possibly a mild steel 3/8-inch diameter rebar section depending upon where you made your cuts. The top of the B-pillar has no rebar and less layers. The shoulder height area has possibly seven layers plus one or even two rebars.

Do not be deceived or thrown off by your success. NO standard combination cutter tool I tried was able to cut the real stuff; the advanced steels such as Boron. I just don't want you to think that a combi is going to get you through all your future 'tough cuts'. In my opinion, it won't regardless of brand, make, or model.

If you're shooting a mosquito, take a fly swater.

If you're shooting an elephant, take a shotgun.
    To prove your point even more just the other day working a MVA with mutual aid dept was trying to make a relief cut in a nissan sentra with a frontal hit. The entire a post below the windshield was in pieces and was attempting to just do a cut in the windshield section on the passengers side (no HS steel in the area) and the combi cutter just bounced around. When we got back I used our test gauges and the tool was within the 10,500 psi.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    Rescue101:

To me, there are dedicated single-purpose cutters and there are combination cutters. A 'combi' as I use the term is one of the smaller cutter units that is most likely designed to be a little spreader as well as a little cutter; combination tool.

I'm glad you have a dedicated cutter unit on the engine. The Truck's combi most likely won't make it as the advanced steels become more and more prevalent.

There isn't any boron or any other type of advanced steel in any Subaru pillar, by the way.

So from that I take it that a tool that has a full cutter assembly on it is what you are calling a "Cutter", which would answer my question that you apparently missed?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information