Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Immature Background may cost me a spot

Hey Folks,
    Im heading into an interview for a dream department and found out I have some ugly things hanging around in my background that will certainly come up.Here they are, I have 2 count them 2 urinating in public tickets during my college day around 5 years ago. Obviously, 2 tickets will look like a pattern of behavior. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not much you can do about the past. Im an idiot.

MembersZone Subscriber NathanWert's Avatar

If it comes up..don't lie. Say you've grown since then.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Just be honest with them...tell them that as long as the fire station has a bathroom, you shouldn't have any problems...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Since its kinda on topic, how bad will my driving record affect me? I had two tickets, one speeding 80 over 65(about 5 years ago) and a turn on a 'no left turn' (about 2 years ago)? Both of them I took traffic school. Any info would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by chipnaseat3 View Post
    Im heading into an interview for a dream department and found out I have some ugly things hanging around in my background that will certainly come up.Here they are, I have 2 count them 2 urinating in public tickets during my college day around 5 years ago.
    Just found out about them huh? Weren't you the one there urinating in public....TWICE?

As said before, own up to your indiscretion.

Quote Originally Posted by adlx21 View Post
    Since its kinda on topic, how bad will my driving record affect me? I had two tickets, one speeding 80 over 65(about 5 years ago) and a turn on a 'no left turn' (about 2 years ago)? Both of them I took traffic school. Any info would be great!
    I hope you meant 80mph in a 65mph zone. Fortunately your speeding has only been documented once (5yrs ago), however having a more recent infraction does indicate some disregard for rules and regulations.

Don't sweat it too much. Just be able to give reasonable explanation and result (traffic court). There are plenty of people out there that do not have any violations though.

MembersZone Subscriber

My advice is simple: Don't pee pee in public! Seriously, let us know how it goes though. Be honest about it, and hope for the best.

Default Background

I 've said it before...We've all done stupid things in our past especially in college. Do as they before me have said "do not lie or try to cover up anything". If you do we will find it and you toast!!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I have to be honest.. urinating in public won't look good for you. I got a PI last year and they brought it up in the interview. I simply explained what happened and still got hired.

Thread Information