Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

Default I screwed up......BIG TIME! WARNING- It's a long one!

I was just let go from my full-time firefighting job and forced to either resign or be terminated. I had only worked there 6 weeks. It's a sad story but they felt that the mistake that I made justified their forcing me into resignation.

Last fall, from October until this May, I was taking an 8 month medic academy style class. Well last September, my hometown fire department began testing for the fulltime position of FF/EMT-B. I'd always wanted to work there, I grew up around that fire department as my old man worked and retired from this department. I thought it would be cool to be able to work for the department in the town I grew up in, as you don't hear about that too often anymore. Well during the interview process I was asked if I wanted the Firefighter/EMT-Basic job more, or if I wanted to finish my paramedic class more. Without a second thought, I told them I would drop the medic in a heartbeat, if that's what they wanted me to do, since it was not required for them. They told me in the next interview that they were disturbed by my willingness to just "drop" the medic for the job.....which really confused me. The Chief told me to stay in the class, as he would like for me to finish it. That was fine by me, as well as a relief, as I really did want to get my paramedic, but would have been willing to drop it if it meant that I would have the job though. Deep down though, I did want it because I had already withdrawn from a medic class in the Summer of 2007 because I had gotten hired with another department that wanted me to go to work and not worry about the medic. Well I didn't want that to happen twice. I really did want it.

So about a month later, I get a call to come in for a final interview where the job offer was made. The chief told me that as a contingency of my employment with his department, he expected me to pass and finish my paramedic class. I had no qualms or issues with this and was able to schedule my remaining ambulance clinicals on my days off from the fire station. Keep in mind, that this medic class was something I was doing all on my own, and that it was, and is not, a requirement to work for the department I worked for.

Well we took the final exam and the entire class bombed it. They scheduled 3 tetest dates. The first, I could not make due to a clinical I had scheduled. I could not reschedule or cancel due to my FD schedule and me having to meet the requirements for time for clinicals. The second one, I could not make, due to me breaking my finger at the fire department on the hose rolling roll N rack tool and being on injury time. I was told I was not allowed to do clincals while off on injury since it's essentially the same job. So naturally, I decided the 3rd day would be best for me.

Now before I go any further, I need to tell you something about being late for the fire department I was on or for the paramedic clinicals I was doing. I was told by my fire chief that if I was going to be late, it better not be car trouble. This was very understandable. Well, in paramedic school, since it was an academy style, they essentially told us the same thing. They told us that we should have a contingency plan, or backup or whatever.

So anyways, the retest rolls around for me. So I get up, and have between 8 and noon that I could take the exam, which takes about 90 mins to complete, so long as I was done by noon. So I planned on doing some last minute studying in the morning and being there around 9 or 930 at the latest. This would get me done by 11 if everything went ok and still leave an hour of time for anything that might go wrong along the way. Well I left at 8, as it is a 45 minute drive. Well about 2 blocks from my house, my u joint broke on my rear driveshaft. I tried making a couple calls for help to no avail, so I brought the truck home and pulled the driveshaft and tried fixing the u joint. There was no other vehicle available. By the time I got rolling again, it was already 9:45 and I had a 45 minute drive ahead of me. Actually it turned out to be an hour and a half due to me only being able to go 40mph due to being in 4x4 with only the front axle engaged. Well by now Im ****tin bricks because I really didnt expect the u joint to be that bad, and on top of it, the one thing that I can't call in with problems about is what I have now......I mean, they specifically told us that if we used the car trouble excuse, that we can pretty much pack our things and sign up for another medic class, because that excuse had been overused waaaay too much.

SO this is where I really screwed up. Big Time.

I lied to my medic instructors.

I told them, that since I was scheduled to work that day, (which I legitimately was) my trade didn't show up and I had to go in and cover until I could find someone to work for me. That last part was the lie.

My trade showed up ahead of time and was definitley there. I was scared out of my mind that if I had used the car trouble excuse, I'd have been hands down dismissed from the program like I'd heard rumors of happening in the past.

It was a big mistake to lie. A HUGE mistake! A career ending mistake!

So I went and took the portion of the test that I still could from 11:15 when I got there until Noon. And I passed that portion! But they couldnt pass me in the class since I hadnt finished the test since I showed up so late and wasn't able to finish before noon. So they told me a rescheduled day the following week would be set up and I could take the entire test over.

So Im driving the hour and a half back to my job, and I get a txt message from my instructor asking me who was working my trade. I get back to the station and can feel the knots in my stomach already.

I was such a dum***** for lieing. No lie about it, and now it's biting me in the ***** big time. As soon as I get there, I tell my Batt Chief I need to talk, along with the guy who was working for me. I spilled my guts and aplogized up and down. I told them I was freaked out and scared that if I didn't pass this, medic that I would lose my job according to the "contingency of employment" that the Chief had talked about. Even though they don't require it! Both understood why I lied, but neither condoned the ACT of lieing.

So I call up the medic instructor and she said that one of the guys I worked with at the FD was teaching with her that day. Well he had seen her at the college at lunch and wanted to know how I did on the final, and when he asked, she said i would have done fine if I would have shown up on time for it and my trade had shown up. Well that guy she talked to had left shift that morning and seen my trade come in! So he called up my batt. chief and asked what was going on, like any other dude would do in his shoes and that's when the **** hit the fan

Yup, right about then was when I saw it all crashing down.

So I called up the head Chief telling him I screwed up, and that they college would be getting ahold of him soon and that I wanted to beforehand so I could spill my guts before he got a surprise from them.

I met with the medic instructors and was told that even though I essentially passed the final, and had all my clinical hours done, as well as my hospital time and had passed the classroom portion, that I wasn't going to be able to test for the final, therefore I would fail the class due to my screwup. I actually fully expected this, as I did lie to them, and have to live with the consequences and try and learn from them.

Then I was called in for 3 different meetings with the Chief where I was interrogated basically and seeing if my story lined up each time.

Then I had a final meeting with the Chief and was terminated. No ifs ands or butts. He said I lied and that it compromised the integrity of the department. He further told me that he would not have fired me if I had not passed the test, just that finishing the class was a condition of my employment.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Isn't a condition of employment something that says, "If you don't pass, you don't get to keep your job"?

He had specifically told me that I had to pass that class to keep my job, 6 weeks prior, and here he was now going back on his word and telling me something totally different.

The little bit that the union could do for me as a proby; they convinced the Chief to allow me to resign from my position. Which I did. If I hadn't, I would have been fired.....even though that's what it feels like anyways.

I have talked with a lot of the guys from the Fire Dept. in the last couple weeks, and honestly, they all feel that this was a bad reason to get let go. They, and I, understand that I messed up. BIG TIME. There's no denying that, as well as the fact that I do deserve punishment for it. But they are also fans of being fair, and quite frankly, none of them feel that this punishment fits the crime. They feel that he should have disciplined me yes, and gave me time off without pay, or possibly extended my probation an extra year and withheld the pay increase I would have gotten for an extra year, till the start of the 3rd year. There are a lot of other things that could have been done.

All 3 of my BCs agreed that yes, I screwed up but it was the first time. I'm human. I'm gonna mess up here and there and I better learn from it and not do it again. If I had screwed up a lot, multiple times and had been disciplined multiple times, I could see firing somebody, but I just don't get it on this one.

There is not one person I have spoken with who thinks that the punishment fits the crime. Everyone keeps tellin me "Well there must be more to the story." but honestly, there isn't. That's the only thing in 6 weeks of working there that came up, that I was talked to about at all. I was actually pulled in and asked if the hazing was too hard on me, and when I said no, was made aware that EVERYONE on our shift had personally 1 by 1 come to my batt. chief and told him that they loved having me on shift. The BC had even told the head chief all this. Not bragging, but just telling you guys how it was. I mean I was 1st in in the morning between 6:30 n 6:45, checking trucks, doing chores with absolutely no complaints, doing the dirty jobs like cleaning floor drains in apparatus bays, keepin mouth shut and ears open, never really chiming in, I took all the hazing with a smile, I worked out every afternoon, I was the last down and 1st up for all meals, I helped prepare meals if they'd let me, in the 6 wks I was there not once did my *** make contact with a recliner, nor did i watch ANY TV. I studied till 11 at nite and 1st on the rig if we got toned out. I cut the grass and shoveled snow in early April with not a damn issue. I mean really, I was trying my hardest to do the best I could, not complain, be on top of my game, jump in at trainings and work details to get my hands dirty.

I know it sounds like fantasy land, but I did not have one single complaint or discipline issue against me. Its just strange to me, why he would fire me (essentially) for telling the instructors what they wanted to hear, (an excuse), and not the truth, (car trouble)...WHEN THEY ESSENTIALLY TOLD ME TO LIE! I just don't get it! I mean, I have only lied a couple times earlier in life at a lot younger age when you are learning as a kid not to lie. That was it. Other than that, I have been nothing but truth and honesty throughout my adult life, so I guess this kind of insults me personally in a way because it realistically IS against what I am all about. I essentially was told, that if I legitimately have a car problem, not to tell them the truth about that, and that if we did, we would be let go from the program. That's why I did what I did. It was not to cover anything up. It was not to enhance the truth. It was because they told us not to tell about car problems.

I don't know....I mean I'm mad at myself....but to be honest, I'm kind of ****ed at the Chief's decision as well, right along with the guys I used to work with.

I know some of you will probably chime in tell me that I shouldn't speak about those sort of issues on here that led to me losing my job and that I should hide them or keep them private for fear that a prospective employer or background investigator might find out, but honestly, it's something that no matter what, will come up in the next interview. That's because I will be the one bringing it up and getting it out on the table. I am not afraid to talk about it and tell what I have learned from it. Right, wrong or indifferent, I now have to deal with the consequences of my poor actions.

And it sucks. BIG TIME!

So realistically speaking, is a career in the fire service something I can still look forward to? If I am prepared to be straight up and honest and tell the next interview panel or background investigator about this incident, what I did wrong, what I am doing to fix it and that I will never do it again, do you guys think I'll even have a shot? (if I even get as far as another interview ever)

Like I said, I plan on bringing this up irregardless, but what would make them hire me, vs. someone with a spotless record? I mean, this is all I've ever wanted to do, and for the last 5 years, I've lost a lot of things for this job. I had an awesome job with the carpenters union that I left so that I could test for diff. departments since they wouldn't let me have time off. I relocated for this job at one point and left everthing and everyone I knew. Then I relocated again for this job and the schooling for it and left one of the best women I've ever known in the process. I have a years fulltime experience with another department where everything worked out beautifully. I have another couple years experience with a volunteer department from before the years fulltime experience. I'm signed back up for a medic course (hopefully 3rd times a charm) and have been doing traning on my own since I got let go to stay fresh. I'm still applying and looking for jobs here and there. I worked construction, an honest job for years as a carpenter and have an awesome knowledge of building construction.

I mean really, is it worth it, or am I wasting my time? I really don't want to give all this up, but I also don't want to be 23 now and in 15 years, still be stuck in this "Well someday, I KNOW I'll get on a fulltime department" rut still....

I dont know. Its just hard for me to verify in my head why a department would hire me, someone who legitimately screwed up and is trying to fix it, over some young buck with nothing against him.....

Convince me guys. Please. Confidence is running a little on the "E" side right now....
    Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 06-02-2009 at 04:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

Convince me guys.
    Convince you of what? You say you want to be a medic, yet you are willing to drop the class in a heartbeat. You tell yourself it's Ok to go 2 different directions "as long as you get the job". You lie.

Seriously, figure out what you want to do with your life and pursue that. Don't just jump on whatever anyone tells you to do "just to get the badge".

LOTS more in life matters than the badge.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Uhhhhh, you want some cheese with that whine??
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

You ever think that your not (mentally) mature enough to handle a job in this feild yet. Excuse after excuse after excuse. Im sure you heard the qoute IGM.... Go to school and be a paramedic if thats what you want to be.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by zachis4wheeling View Post
    Its just strange to me, why he would fire me (essentially) for telling the instructors what they wanted to hear, (an excuse), and not the truth, (car trouble)...WHEN THEY ESSENTIALLY TOLD ME TO LIE!
    They essentially told you to lie? Take responsibility for your actions. First, they didn't tell you to lie, and even if they did, you shouldn't. Simple as that.

Convince me guys. Please.
    Convince you of what? You lied, you got caught, and now you feel sorry for yourself.

If you're willing to lie during your probie time, how does the chief know you aren't setting precedent?

I know the FH.com forums can be a tough place sometimes, but I don't know how much sympathy you'll get on this one.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Permanently Removed

As I scrolled down, there was too much too read and I abandoned the project.

But it sounds like you need to sit down and really figure out what you want in life and a career.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Convince you of what? You say you want to be a medic, yet you are willing to drop the class in a heartbeat. You tell yourself it's Ok to go 2 different directions "as long as you get the job". You lie. Seriously, figure out what you want to do with your life and pursue that.
    Yea, I know what I want to do. I want to be a firefighter, and if it requires me to get my paramedic license, than that's what it requires, and that's what I need to in order to be able to even apply. In the area that I want to work in, 99% of the departments are ALS which is fine by me, and they require you to be a medic to even apply. How is getting my paramedic a different direction than the firefighter route? It's part of the same route. More and more departments are requiring it every day, as I'm sure you know and if I enjoy doing EMS and love doing firefighting work, why would I not get it?

I have worked EMS for almost 3 years and really have no quips about it. I mean yea, some calls suck and some days are boring, but honestly, I truly do enjoy it.

And if I love the fire service and everything about firefighting, why is it a bad thing to want to do what I have to in order to get a fulltime firefighting job?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    You lie.
    What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Uhhhhh, you want some cheese with that whine??
    Dude, I really don't need to hear that. If you don't have anything productive to add, see your way out of this one. I simply told the whole honest story on here so people would know all the facts and hopefully give me advice. Everyone has done that thus far. It isn't neccesarily what I want to hear, but it's what I probably need to hear. Everyone has given productive advise except you. Hopefully your happy with the way you just built your post count up with a completely unproductive post. Please don't reply unless you have something productive to add.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofdahill View Post
    You ever think that your not (mentally) mature enough to handle a job in this feild yet. Excuse after excuse after excuse. Im sure you heard the qoute IGM.... Go to school and be a paramedic if thats what you want to be.
    What about this whole issue has given you the impression that I am not mature enough to handle myself in this career? And what kind of excuses are you talking about? I completely owned up to the screwup I did. I explained it above, which may sound like excuses, but to me they're reasons. That doesn't mean for a minute that I have to agree with the course of diciplinary action that the Chief and personnel director took though. But I do have to accept it, which I'm working on, and then I can move on and try and put this behind me

And again, I'd love to be a firefighter 1st and foremost, and if I can be a paramedic as well, that is all the more better.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    They essentially told you to lie? Take responsibility for your actions. First, they didn't tell you to lie, and even if they did, you shouldn't. Simple as that.

Convince you of what? You lied, you got caught, and now you feel sorry for yourself.

If you're willing to lie during your probie time, how does the chief know you aren't setting precedent?

I know the FH.com forums can be a tough place sometimes, but I don't know how much sympathy you'll get on this one.
    Ok, dude. I can see that you are not going to be convinced one way or another and that you already have your mind made up. I know it's hard to believe, but yea, they essentially did tell us not to tell them the truth about our reason for being late if we did have car trouble, because they were sick and tired of that reason. Unless you were in the class with me, you have no right to tell me what they did and did not tell me.

Its unfortunate that there arn't more understanding people out there in this service, and that you obviously, as well as the chief would think that this mistake means I am "setting precedent" and I am a horrible person. One mistake.

Apparently, from what I have read from BC Lepore about the ideal candidate in regards to the background investigation type stuff, everyone in this job nowadays cannot be human and make a mistake. One mistake at that. They apparently need to be a perfect person who never screws up. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    As I scrolled down, there was too much too read and I abandoned the project.

But it sounds like you need to sit down and really figure out what you want in life and a career.
    Well I really value your opinion over a lot of others out there and trust me, I have been doing a lot of thinking the last couple weeks. I havn't neccessarily done it while sitting, but I have been thinking about it a lot. I still want this and want nothing more than this right now. There isn't anything else I could see myself doing.

I would really appreciate it if you could force yourself to take another look at it and see if you could get all the way through it, as (like I said above), I really value your opinion over a lot of others from the advice and what you have said to others out there.
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well thanks for posting your story. A great example of what can happen when you lie about things.

Forum Member

In your 6 weeks at work you managed to break your finger at work, flunk your first round of tests, bullsh*t your way thru some crazy story about how being late to your test will get you kicked out, Used your co-workers in a bullsh*t scam to get what you want, and instead of preparing yourself for the test more you push the time limits and your truck f*cks up causing you to be late (causing this whole mess). Theres more drama in your 6 weeks of employment then in lifetime of soap operas. Take some responsibility and get yourself together. If i was your chief i would have fired you to. Your working around grown men who have enough drama in their lives at work. They dont need the petty bullsh*t that seems to follow you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HereToLearn View Post
    Well thanks for posting your story. A great example of what can happen when you lie about things.
    No problem. Please, just learn from my and others mistakes. I wouldn't have lied if I had read this earlier in life I don't think. I hope you guys can learn from this more than anything.

I think I'll keep reposting in here and letting you guys know what happens as far as job possibilities and career prospects go and whatnot now that I have this setback I'm up against.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingofdahill View Post
    In your 6 weeks at work you managed to break your finger at work, flunk your first round of tests, bullsh*t your way thru some crazy story about how being late to your test will get you kicked out, Used your co-workers in a bullsh*t scam to get what you want, and instead of preparing yourself for the test more you push the time limits and your truck f*cks up causing you to be late (causing this whole mess). Theres more drama in your 6 weeks of employment then in lifetime of soap operas. Take some responsibility and get yourself together. If i was your chief i would have fired you to. Your working around grown men who have enough drama in their lives at work. They dont need the petty bullsh*t that seems to follow you.
    Wow. You just know it all don't you.

The finger has nothing to do with this ya asshat. Could have happened to anybody at anytime. Well, maybe not in your perfect drama free department, but in others it could have.

Department policy states that any and all injuries go directly to the Industrial Health Services immediately after the injury happens and they tell you if you will of will not be able to go back to work. They told me to take 2 work days off along with my 5 other normal off days and come back in a week for another eval.

A guy before me failed to do this, then had reprocussions on down the road and damn near lost his job due to not being upfront with them. Anything that happens to you that could cause injury is EXPLICITLY stated that it needs to be reported and evaluated AT THE LEAST. I dont neccesarily agree with it, but I have to follow policy. I was doing what I was told ya clown.

As for the rest of what you had to say though....yea, you're pretty much spot on. It sucks that I screwed up and now I'm paying for it. ***** happens. I don't really know what else to say.

Just kind of wondering if it's gonna be such a blackmark against me that I won't stand a chance with another job, even if I do get my paramedic and open up that many job possibility doors?

Forum Member

You need to weigh out the negatives on your future applications with some really good positives to shine some light on your application. Finishing medic school and obtaining your license/cert for whatever state you're in is a great step in the right direction.

You say you're doing trainings at home, like what? Take ACTUAL training courses that are documented and present you with a certificate (ICS classes are a good one). Take some courses at a local community college. You need stuff on your application that shows committment to something.

You've abandoned 2 jobs and dropped out of medic twice for one reason or another. You need to be able to show you can make a committment and stick to a job. It's very expensive to hire a new FF, why would someone hire you if they have a feeling you want to leave (plus there are another thousand applicants who would gladly take your spot).

i don't think you're totally screwed out of a position, If you have a clean criminal history and driving history you're a big step above many applicants. Just be honest on your future applications and trim down the reason for resignation when you speak to them. No one wants to read all that mess on an application.

Forum Member

i would agree with don's advice that whether it be fire, or any other field, showing youre committed to finishing a job you start is important. other than that, you screwed up, as you said "big time" but we all make mistakes (to varying degrees). now it's just important to learn from your mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again. as someone going through the testing process myself, i would say definitely don't give up. if this is what you want and you give up now, because it may be more difficult, that would be equally embarrassing. def keep at it, and just try to exercise a little more common sense in the future. best of luck.

p.s. i think it's good youre posting all of this. this is what the forum is here for, right? info, so keep it up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow.

You lie. Thats enough right there to lose your probie job.

You showed great irresponsibility. Believe me, if I was in that
    position I would have found a way to get there on time. (honestly,
    I would not have failed the first time. No bragging, most of us
    on here can make that statement)

You post on here. You take great umberage at people who are
    being honest with you.

You seem to have an excuse for everything.

If it were me,

1. Man up.

2. Grow up.

3. Get as much positive experience as you can.

4. Get as much training as you can.

5. Don't in any way try to make out that the department that
    "allowed you to retire" (IMHO a big favor to you) did anything but
    did a great favor for you. Keeping that "head chief" (You really were
    on a department and called the Chief the Head Chief? Really?) on your good
    side is vital to your future employment chances anywhere.

Come on... This is really a joke right? You really did not call him the Head Chief, right? Brings to mind that old joke about the head nurse.....

Forum Member

What about this whole issue has given you the impression that I am not mature enough to handle myself in this career? And what kind of excuses are you talking about? I completely owned up to the screwup I did. I explained it above, which may sound like excuses, but to me they're reasons. That doesn't mean for a minute that I have to agree with the course of diciplinary action that the Chief and personnel director took though. But I do have to accept it, which I'm working on, and then I can move on and try and put this behind me

Its unfortunate that there arn't more understanding people out there in this service, and that you obviously, as well as the chief would think that this mistake means I am "setting precedent" and I am a horrible person. One mistake.

Apparently, from what I have read from BC Lepore about the ideal candidate in regards to the background investigation type stuff, everyone in this job nowadays cannot be human and make a mistake. One mistake at that. They apparently need to be a perfect person who never screws up. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

You didn't own up until you knew you were caught. Immature

I am human and have yet to make a major mistake that would keep me from the job. Why is people like you want the standards lowered instead of just meeting them? Don't disgrace the firefighters or paramedics. Leave this career field now.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Now before I go any further, I need to tell you something about being late for the fire department I was on or for the paramedic clinicals I was doing. I was told by my fire chief that if I was going to be late, it better not be car trouble. This was very understandable. Well, in paramedic school, since it was an academy style, they essentially told us the same thing. They told us that we should have a contingency plan, or backup or whatever.

So anyways, the retest rolls around for me. So I get up, and have between 8 and noon that I could take the exam, which takes about 90 mins to complete, so long as I was done by noon. So I planned on doing some last minute studying in the morning and being there around 9 or 930 at the latest. This would get me done by 11 if everything went ok and still leave an hour of time for anything that might go wrong along the way. Well I left at 8, as it is a 45 minute drive. Well about 2 blocks from my house, my u joint broke on my rear driveshaft. I tried making a couple calls for help to no avail, so I brought the truck home and pulled the driveshaft and tried fixing the u joint. There was no other vehicle available. By the time I got rolling again, it was already 9:45 and I had a 45 minute drive ahead of me. Actually it turned out to be an hour and a half due to me only being able to go 40mph due to being in 4x4 with only the front axle engaged. Well by now Im ****tin bricks because I really didnt expect the u joint to be that bad, and on top of it, the one thing that I can't call in with problems about is what I have now......I mean, they specifically told us that if we used the car trouble excuse, that we can pretty much pack our things and sign up for another medic class, because that excuse had been overused waaaay too much.
    Aside from what the others have already covered, you had no back-up plan. Even after it was suggested, no STRESSED, by them to make sure you had a back up plan in case of car trouble.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    I am human and have yet to make a major mistake that would keep me from the job.
    Must be nice to be perfect....

Why is people like you want the standards lowered instead of just meeting them?
    I don't want them lowered. I never said I did. I want people to stop with this "if you screw up once, you're a screw up for life" attitude. That attitude has eliminated a lot of good quality candidates who made simple mistakes.

Take for instance a DUI. If a guy had one beer too many and gets pulled over for a tailight out and ends up witha DUI, and over the next 7 years works his butt off to show that he has made efforts to move in the right direction by quitting drinking, offering to be the designated driver, and taking rehab classes if applicable, there is no reason that he should have to even bring that up, let alone be banned from applying, let alone getting certain jobs. If he killed someone, that's a different story though.

Don't disgrace the firefighters or paramedics. Leave this career field now.
    Not a chance :-)

Forum Member

So what happened with your first department?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Angry

You posted your sob story here and then insult the people that replied
    to your post,Sorry no firefighting job for you go back to Mickey D's
    and start over again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    So what happened with your first department?
    When I was 20, in 2005 I got on a volunteer department by my home right after I got done with my firefighting certification training. I was there for a little over 2 years until the fall of 2007. I was in a medic class that fall and had just started when I got a job offer 4 hours away from where I was living at the time. I took the job offer, withdrew from the medic class 8 weeks into it and moved 4 hours away for the new fulltime firefighter EMT-B position. I actually was able to get a good amount of the money back that I had paid for that medic class.

I worked for a year full time for the department four hours away when I decided that going back to Paramedic school is what I wanted to do if I really wanted to be able to get on a busier 100% full time department in a larger city, and make more of a difference for the patients I was working on. I looked into my options in the small town I was working in as far as any paramedic classes that were being offered, but there were none that would work with my schedule. (The shift I worked was M-F 4PM-midnite) I talked it over with my CHIEF and he told me that there would be no way that I would be able to take the time off if I wanted to do a paramedic program and still be able to work. We were only allowed to take off and trade 5 shifts per year total and I would have needed to take off a lot more than that to do the medic program that was offered in that area.

So in the Fall of 2008, I gave my 2 weeks notice and left the fulltime position and moved back to the area I was from to take the paramedic class that I just failed. I left on great terms with that department.

For the 1st 5 months until February 2009, I had absolutely no time for anything other than paramedic class and the clinicals. In February though, I had some time open up, and I was actually able to rejoin the Volunteer Department that I had left 2 1/2 years earlier. They let me stay there until I got hired with the Department that I just resigned from.

The medic class I completed, but was not allowed to pass was an 8 month long, 5 day a week 40 hr per week style accelerated class, which made it more appealing to me, seeings how I was leaving a full time fire job to take this.

Thats the story on my past departments.
    Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 06-02-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
    You posted your sob story here and then insult the people that replied
    to your post,Sorry no firefighting job for you go back to Mickey D's
    and start over again.
    Hell yes I did.

I insulted/got really irritated at the cocky dude who was basically saying he'd never made a mistake and the Kingofdahill dude about the finger thing, seeings how that has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Other than that I've eaten up what the others have said.

And btw....Mickey D's isn't hiring right now. I already checked. Any other great advice or anything productive you'd like to add besides further insults??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Aside from what the others have already covered, you had no back-up plan. Even after it was suggested, no STRESSED, by them to make sure you had a back up plan in case of car trouble.
    Yea, that was my big downfall right there. Honest to god, there were so many other people that, had I been thinking clearly I could have called. The guys at the fire station, my extended family, anybody I knew really. But I didn't. I let my pride get in the way and tried to do it on my own. I should have really fixed the u-joint the day before when I heard it clunking a little bit, but being the automotive guru I am, I thought "That will last fine, I've had U-joints bad for weeks in the past before I replaced them, and that was on a big lifted truck." But of course, my ill preparedness led to all of this.

All I think I can do is suck it up, learn from it, listen to other people's ADVICE, move forward and kick the naysayers and fingerpointers to the curb. It sucks and it's a tough lesson, but I can guarantee you that I will never do this again. That's for sure.
    Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 06-02-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Permanently Removed

This thread is a complete wast of time and energy.

It is so asinine, that I have my doubts to any validity in the original and following posts.

Please close this thread.

Grow up, good bye.

Forum Member

From your previous post i'm guessing your 23 maybe 24 years old. That explains your comments and smart remarks, "DUDE". Chalk this up as a hard lesson in life and grow the f*ck up before applying to another Dept. or to medic school. When you ask for opinions you will get them good and bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

eassssyyyyyy guys.....

This is the fire service, and no one is gonna tell you what you want to hear most of the time.

But....I CAN tell you, I don't think your screwed. I got asked to resign from my first department, and got another job the same year. You learn from your mistakes, and you will be fine..You just may have to be patient.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information