Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Name tails for bunker coats?

My crew wants to get those name tails for our bunker coats to kinda personalize our stuff. I think it is a great idea that a lot of departments do.

I was searching for a place to get them ordered but couldn't find them, not even sure what they are really called. If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks brothers.

A place in California does an excellent job on this. They have a fast turn around time and will ship back to you quickly.

Contact-

Scott's PPE
    209-368-7100
    209-368-8271 Fax

MembersZone Subscriber

Who is the manufacturer of your gear? We had Globe sew our onto the last batch of gear that we ordered, but they will also make the patches for you to sew on. Are you career or volly? If you're volly, you may want to consider getting the removable panels. Globe's have both velcro and snaps, and tend to hold pretty well. That way you can remove them easily if a member leaves or retires. If you're going to sew them on, ask them for the correct thread also. You'll need someone with a fairly beefy sewing machine from what I was told my one of my M.A. depts that had everybody's stuff retrofitted.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most any gear mfg will make (or install) for you. velcro with snaps is the way to go. If you sew the velcro on yourself get a spool of nomex or kevlar thread with the patches.

I've used Veridian in Spencer, IA. They can match any material/color you're using. Last ones I ordered where around $30ea + $3/3" scotchlite letter.

As they have said, the folks who you bought the turnout coats from can do that or can get it for you. No biggie. I am surprised that your "guys" dont't already have the name on the coats.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    As they have said, the folks who you bought the turnout coats from can do that or can get it for you. No biggie. I am surprised that your "guys" dont't already have the name on the coats.
    Why are you suprised?

Anyway, career department, janesville turnout coats.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmoose171 View Post
    Why are you suprised?

Anyway, career department, janesville turnout coats.
    Can you say NFPA? A requirement for new coats. This isn't something new that just happen over the last few months. We started putting names on the back on all coats back in 1980's!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Can you say NFPA? A requirement for new coats. This isn't something new that just happen over the last few months. We started putting names on the back on all coats back in 1980's!
    The NFPA doesn't set requirements, so while putting names on the coats is nice, it's by no means mandatory.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Good for you on the names on your coats since the 1980's. It simply is not cost effective for many volly FD's with high turnover to get coats with names on them.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Good for you on the names on your coats since the 1980's. It simply is not cost effective for many volly FD's with high turnover to get coats with names on them.
    That's why we have our names on velcro panels. If someone leaves, we just rip off the panel and order a new one for the new owner.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    That's why we have our names on velcro panels. If someone leaves, we just rip off the panel and order a new one for the new owner.
    I know not all departments use individual unit numbers but thats what we did, instead of name: B. Rivette we did numbers: 235

That way if I ever left the department a new member would be put in my spot using same number.

Just another thought

I should tell you that we have individual unit numbers, like badge numbers, that do change from time to time if someone leaves the department. For example a guy was hired last year with 3 higher in seniority. His number was 830. Now two resigned above him and he moved to 828. We usually move numbers around in January if required.

On our gear, we have the last name on the tail with their number above the name. Then a small square with the number on each shoulder. The numbers and names are on velcro panels.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Our "mudflaps" are removable. Someone moves on,just fit a new name to a new mudflap and put it on the gear. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Does NFPA recommend (note I said "recommend") that every coat have the name in big letters on the back? I thought it just called for having the name of the person who the gear was fitted for, somewhere on the label/tag inside the gear...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

If was an NFPA requirement you would not be able to order TO coats without name. Such is not the case.

ID info w/name is on the inside label all current TO gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    If was an NFPA requirement you would not be able to order TO coats without name. Such is not the case.

ID info w/name is on the inside label all current TO gear.
    So, does this imply that all firefighters must have their own customized gear? What happens when they leave? How about newbies? Instant new gear? Sounds like yet another case of the PPE manufacturers creating standards to sell more gear.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    So, does this imply that all firefighters must have their own customized gear? What happens when they leave? How about newbies? Instant new gear? Sounds like yet another case of the PPE manufacturers creating standards to sell more gear.
    I'm sure that's what the manufacturers would like to see....that's why they wrote the standards that way

I'm sure in a lot of career departments, where you've done an extensive hiring process, you'd be fairly certain that the "newbie" is going to be around for awhile. You also know that once he's there he's going to use the gear, because he's on duty every day. In volly departments a guy might only be around for a few months and just disappear, or be issued gear and hardly show up for any calls. I'm not fitting a member for new gear until he's been around for awhile. That guy's going to wear hand-me-downs until he's proved himself.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Just curious...Why would you want your name on your coat? When we recently got new gear and it had our names on it, it was not real popular with many. I duct taped mine out. No one needs to know my name.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    I'm sure that's what the manufacturers would like to see....that's why they wrote the standards that way

I'm sure in a lot of career departments, where you've done an extensive hiring process, you'd be fairly certain that the "newbie" is going to be around for awhile. You also know that once he's there he's going to use the gear, because he's on duty every day. In volly departments a guy might only be around for a few months and just disappear, or be issued gear and hardly show up for any calls. I'm not fitting a member for new gear until he's been around for awhile. That guy's going to wear hand-me-downs until he's proved himself.
    Yep I gotta second that one. I was on my Vol dept fot 12 years during my career dept time. I wore hand me downs the entire time. It was a honor wearing the hand me downs of the Dep Chief I eventually replaced.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

First, let's not facts get in the way of assumptions. Take a look at NFPA-1971, Chapter 5 (Labeling and Information), and you'll find that the wearer's name is NOT required on the label. Yes, if you buy custom gear for the member, the name will usually be on the inner label, but it's not required to be there.

Secondly, whocares, why DO you care if people know who you are? It seems like the people who are anti-name are afraid of management, or afraid of being seen on the news standing around (just my observation, YMMV). As a company officer in both of my departments, I know it's much easier to identify the members who are operating when I have a 2" or 3" name on the back of the coat rather than trying to figure exactly who's helmet that is, or "who the stocky guy over there is."

You went so far as to duct tape over your name?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information