Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cameras on Apparatus

Has anyone had any experience with having video cameras mounted inside of fire apparatus? Perhaps something similiar to what many police cars have in them?

I have not had any experience with vehicle mounted cameras, but think mounting them in our apparatus is a good idea. Hopefully I can get our department to install a cameras on our future apparatus.

Forum Member

We have DriveCams on both ambulances, and will add them to engines as funds become available.

MembersZone Subscriber

The drive cams only record when an impact/etc occurs though, right? Not all the time the way a typical PD system works?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAleski View Post
    The drive cams only record when an impact/etc occurs though, right? Not all the time the way a typical PD system works?
    I'm not sure of all of the triggers, but some of them are hard braking, swerving, etc. In the case of those events they show 10 seconds before and 10 seconds after. They can also be turned on manually although I don't know how long they'll record in that mode.

I've got a couple of the drive/dash cams. A med unit and pumper.

The only time they record, is when the pretty lights are activated, and the park brake is released (just as the opticoms are). When activated, they can record for up to 4 hours(up to 2GB). They also have audio.

We got them through a local grant/donation. It is being used to see if there is a need for it for the rest of the first responders. The idea isn't so much to be big brother, but to see what is happening enroute to a call, as for traffic, and what to do about educating the community, on what to do when an emergency vehicle is approaching from behind.

It has been used once as a witness for an intersection accident. A car turning left was hit by a pumper as it was on coming. POV said it had no lights or siren. They were wrong. LOL

FM1

Forum Member

Prince George's County, MD uses DriveCam in all of their apparatus, including medic units.

Forum Member

Drive cams are "recording" at all times....however, it only saves the video when a "trigger" tells it to, once triggered it saves to a hard drive the video begining X amount of seconds prior to the trigger. I think the "X" amount of time can be selected...30 seconds, 45 seconds, 60 seconds and so on.
    As for the triggers, it depends on how the sensativity is set, you can set it so that it takes a decent hit to set it off, of you can set to a high sensativity and every time you accelorate, decelorate or turn, it records., it's a "shock" sensor of sorts, when it feels a "shock" it saves the video.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Do y'all have any pictures of your setup? We're looking at putting in cameras in our Engines and Heavy Rescues. We're having issues with POV's not yielding the right of way because of the usual (on the phone, radio loud,etc.) and it's really starting to affect our response times.

Forum Member

We purchased a 30 gig JVC video cameras and dash placed them on heavy duty dash mounts similar to what the Eyewitness camera you see in squad cars. It's a much cheaper alternative that gives you the advantage of using it portable at a scene and also to take still pics.

The downfall is that you must manually activate the record and devise a means of charging the camera.

You can download the video to your computer and burn a DVD or hook it up directly to your TV.

I don't know what the DriveCams cost but I know we once purchased an Eyewitness video system for our one of our SUV's and it cost over 5K.

Forum Member

www.brickhousesecurity.com makes several models in many price ranges. The simplest versions stop recording at impact so you have a record of what led up to the impact.

In my full time job running trains, we have a camera system installed on out locomotives that records video and external audio only so things like the horn and bell are recorded. The system also put the speed, date and time in the upper corner of the image so everything you need to prove your case is right there. They are great systems worth every penny. All it takes is one big lawsuit and the systems pay for themselves.

Forum Member

Default Good thing they had a camera

This happened in Orange County Florida.

If you watch the video it can be seen they had the green light .. helps stop the other driver from claiming they had the green.

The cameras paid off for that crash.

Very little damage to the rig. Photo off of the union site.

Here is the video from a tv station site. http://www.wftv.com/video/20133418/index.html

MembersZone Subscriber

What gets me in that video is the SCBA that seems to land on the firefighter's lap in the "jumpseat" behind the driver.

SMT

Forum Member

I like the comment about "Mexican chic" in the video. That is what freaks me about these systems. Ours are on an 18 minute audio loop. But in the event of an impact, the audio saves the last 18 minutes leading up to the impact.

We often talk about all sorts of things that we really would not want the public to hear but since we have never had an issue where that audio was released, people seem to not think about it. The Unions fought and one in the case of others railroads to have the microphones installed outside the cab. This was you can still hear all the audio from the warning systems but their is no cab audio.

Just imagine the video you just watched had FF's discussing something offensive to others. Whether it was sexual, racist, etc. Even jokingly, imagine how that would look if the media got a hold of it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Double egde sword!

You got power hungry admin. who can use it to there advantage to hang someone, at the same time it could prove you innocent when the $hit hits the fan and you did nothing wrong or were following SOG/SOP. I am surprised NFPA has not included in there bibles. Good luck and my 2 cents of advice SLOW DOWN. Be safe.

Thread Information