View Poll Results: How many depts in your area charge a fee to test with them?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

8 44.44%
  • 1-2

3 16.67%
  • 3+

7 38.89%
    Forum Member

Default Paying to test for FF exam trend

Just curious what people think about some depts charging applicants to test with them. I can see arguments for both sides as to whether a dept chooses to charge a fee for applying (especially with cuts to their budget) or not.

Do you see more depts doing this in your areas of the country to offset the significant costs or does your dept do this? Do you think those that have a fee have a more qualified group to choose from or do you think they are just discouraging potentially good applicants from applying?

Forum Member

Its a good idea. This way you get those who are the better applicant, since they are willing to pay for the test booklet as well as the testing process. It cuts the better folks from the slugs that happen to appear at the testing site.

I wanted to hire new members one time without paying them during the 14 weeks of rookie training to get them to study their butts off and pass the course without any cost to the department. Once they passed all the hoops and hurdles, and graduated, then we would back pay them from day one for the 14 weeks. The HR folks wouldn't approve it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I wanted to hire new members one time without paying them during the 14 weeks of rookie training
    Tha'd get me to study knowing that 3 months of pay was riding on passing. Thx for the feedback.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I wanted to hire new members one time without paying them during the 14 weeks of rookie training to get them to study their butts off and pass the course without any cost to the department. Once they passed all the hoops and hurdles, and graduated, then we would back pay them from day one for the 14 weeks. The HR folks wouldn't approve it.
    I'm not sure if you're kidding around with this one or not, but doing that would surely discourage people from applying. I know that I couldn't afford to not get a pay check for 14 weeks. I'm not sure the banks or lenders would go for it either lol!!! Great concept to motivate though.

Forum Member

Not being paid for three months .. kinda like here in florida where you pay your own way thru fire academy and then try to find a job. Yikes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireResQ24 View Post
    I'm not sure if you're kidding around with this one or not, but doing that would surely discourage people from applying. I know that I couldn't afford to not get a pay check for 14 weeks. I'm not sure the banks or lenders would go for it either lol!!! Great concept to motivate though.
    No I wasn't kidding at all.

You would get better applicants and it would cut out the slugs that creep into this business. Applicants that have the great desire can deal with it. As in Florida you go to a fire academy and not part or a fire department.

You know that you have to bust your tail to pass the course and also know if you fail or drop out, that you aren't the right material.

It can work.

Thread Information