+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 First ... 567891011 ... Last
    Forum Member

over the next few weeks their going to start calling the people for the pysch eval, and looking to hire 10 for the January orientation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by quickstangsvt302 View Post
    over the next few weeks their going to start calling the people for the pysch eval, and looking to hire 10 for the January orientation.
    how many were hired for the last class?
    whatever happened to the chief saying he was gonna hire 60 guys total between this year and june of next??
    just wondering where you heard that it was only gonna be 10 guys? thx

Forum Member

I spoke to a Lt. yesterday downtown about the pysch eval, and that's what I was told. A friend of mine also in the hiring pool called downtown today and was told 10 people for January.

They might have another orientation in Feb...I was told that a while back. I have no idea what's going on really. It's just what I was told, and what my buddy told me. It's only Nov now they can't just hire 70 people or w/e all at once . Yes the wait sucks...keep applying else where in the mean time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffwright View Post
    anything from stealing, drug use to bestiality.
    This just blows my mind. Why would they ask you about that. One of my friends said they asked him if he's ever thought about having sex with a family member.

What type of drug questions do they ask you? Is it just what you've used and how long ago. How long do they want it to be since you've done anything?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CodyK View Post
    This just blows my mind. Why would they ask you about that. One of my friends said they asked him if he's ever thought about having sex with a family member.

What type of drug questions do they ask you? Is it just what you've used and how long ago. How long do they want it to be since you've done anything?

Apparently you have never got to the stage in being hired as member of a career fire department.

Why would you think, if you do, that they would have asked those questions?

Polygraph, physical testing is all part of the hiring process.

No fire department will hire anyone who uses drugs, been convicted of any crime or engages in unusual sexual diversions.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No fire department will hire anyone who uses drugs, been convicted of any crime or engages in unusual sexual diversions.
    Define "unusual"..........
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Apparently you have never got to the stage in being hired as member of a career fire department.

Why would you think, if you do, that they would have asked those questions?

Polygraph, physical testing is all part of the hiring process.

I just think some of the questions are off the wall that's all.

That was why I asked if they've asked how long ago it was. Because most people have smoked pot at some point when they were young. Do they want it to be a year, 2 years, 5 years..... It's been a few years for me. I can't pin point the last time but it was at least 2-3 years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CodyK View Post
    I just think some of the questions are off the wall that's all.

That was why I asked if they've asked how long ago it was. Because most people have smoked pot at some point when they were young. Do they want it to be a year, 2 years, 5 years..... It's been a few years for me. I can't pin point the last time but it was at least 2-3 years.
    As far as my department, that may be enough to keep you from being hired. You are asked a battery of questions. Have you ever.....???? This could include drugs, stealing, cheating, drinking, speeding, writing bad checks, etc.

If you have a record, and get to the point that you may be hired, the FD is going to have you background ran and depending what comes back, may be enough to turn you down.

Remember there are people applying that have clean records and never tried any type of drugs.

Guess who will get a job first?

Forum Member

Deviant nature is what you're thinking of. Deviant sexual nature suggests a deviant nature towards a lot of situations you may be placed in, and their questioning comes from the questionnaire they have you fill out prior to seeing the polygraph technician. whatever you honestly answer - they will dig deep upon. again, lying here may get you in trouble (ie terminated) down the road if you're answers here differ from something else you may have stated or wrote down down earlier or later during your career...

Forum Member

I was asked anything, and everything...gambling, drugs, cheating, etc. Some of the drugs I've never even heard of. They also run two background checks, if you make it far enough through the hiring process. Also they will ask about the use of tobacco products within the last year. Any usage and they will say "thank's but no thank's" right there. You really need to be on your "A" game if this is the career you want!

Forum Member

I had called up TFR last week & spoke to a capt to ask what my status was. He said that yes I'm in the process still. They've just been dragging their feet due to budgetary reasons and would call me up after the holiday and that initially they wanted to put a class on in January but again money has pushed it back to Feb. Plus also they anticipate a bunch of people to put in their retirement soon and want to judge their hiring needs afterward, hence another reason to push back the class start.

update to the above:

I just got called up by Sharron yesterday to come down for my psych next week.

sooo...just like the almighty turtle...slow and steady wins the race! lol

Forum Member

Thumbs up

WooHOO sulu404!! i got a call yesterday as well! congrats! what day is your psych next week?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    As far as my department, that may be enough to keep you from being hired. You are asked a battery of questions. Have you ever.....???? This could include drugs, stealing, cheating, drinking, speeding, writing bad checks, etc.

If you have a record, and get to the point that you may be hired, the FD is going to have you background ran and depending what comes back, may be enough to turn you down.

Remember there are people applying that have clean records and never tried any type of drugs.

Guess who will get a job first?
    That does make sense. I did smoke marajauna once in a while at parties and steal a little bit. But not anymore. Im still at a young age like me (just turned 20) i just turned my life around. So basically i was young and dumb. But im still young, so everything i did in high school was recent. Im done with EMT and start the academy in 2011. I have a clean driving record along with no criminal background. If i have the chance of making it to the polygraph test in the future i will answer the questions truthfully. But i hope what i did when i was in high school doesn't come back to haunt me. i also hope that me knowing personally one of the captains on the interview panel will help me, along with knowing a handful of cpt,Lts and drivers that can write me a recommendation letter will help. (Thanks for reading this long post)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNok42 View Post
    WooHOO sulu404!! i got a call yesterday as well! congrats! what day is your psych next week?
    hey sorry i didn't get the update to this forum. I was there today to take the psych and the "physical". They made us take the long azz MMPI2 and the CPI together, sign & notorize that we are tobacco free and promise to pay them back $2500 if we resign/get fired before 1 year is up.

Since I live a distance away, they had me take the "physical" as well. When I got to the address, the 1st thing I noticed was that the "doc" had a Ph.D instead of a MD....? Turns out, it's just the psychologist that grades the tests you just took and asks you a bunch of questions similar to what you already answered on the tests.

So when do we actually see a regular doc plus do the urine test???

There was 13 of us today: 11guys and 2 girls. Good luck to us all as we apparently already have conditional offers of employment?? (news to me!)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sulu404 View Post
    hey sorry i didn't get the update to this forum. I was there today to take the psych and the "physical". They made us take the long azz MMPI2 and the CPI together, sign & notorize that we are tobacco free and promise to pay them back $2500 if we resign/get fired before 1 year is up.

Since I live a distance away, they had me take the "physical" as well. When I got to the address, the 1st thing I noticed was that the "doc" had a Ph.D instead of a MD....? Turns out, it's just the psychologist that grades the tests you just took and asks you a bunch of questions similar to what you already answered on the tests.

So when do we actually see a regular doc plus do the urine test???

There was 13 of us today: 11guys and 2 girls. Good luck to us all as we apparently already have conditional offers of employment?? (news to me!)
    hey sulu, im the one that was in the psych office before you.... are you the one from west palm? they just called me today and said i passed the psych/physical and they will call me after the holidays for a physical!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNok42 View Post
    hey sulu, im the one that was in the psych office before you.... are you the one from west palm? they just called me today and said i passed the psych/physical and they will call me after the holidays for a physical!!!!
    hey bro, nice to meet ya. i didn't catch you name. send me it in a PM. Yeah I got the same call today saying congrats I'm not psycho and after New Years is when we hafta go back for the REAL physical lol

Forum Member

hey bro, nice to meet ya. i didn't catch you name. send me it in a PM. Yeah I got the same call today saying congrats I'm not psycho and after New Years is when we hafta go back for the REAL physical lol
    Has anybody heard when the next hiring class will be after jan/feb class? I took Polygraph and passed it but it was back in oct. I'm just trying to get an idea. thanks

Forum Member

Congrats to the guys who got hired on jan/feb class!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rws05c View Post
    Has anybody heard when the next hiring class will be after jan/feb class? I took Polygraph and passed it but it was back in oct. I'm just trying to get an idea. thanks
    The acting personnel chief stated that we all may not get called down for the the feb class but they will need to hire everyone who's eligible within 6-8months due to people leaving. Other than that, no clue exactly.

On the side note: Does anyone have an idea what TFR's new hire academy entails and how long it is before assigned a station? From what I guess it's mostly an orientation into their SOP's and essential training. My friends from up north are under the opinion that it would be similar to the original Minimum Standards and a lot of PT & running. I'm wondering if I should step up my distance running in addition to my working out...
    Last edited by sulu404; 01-05-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: sic

Forum Member

The acting personnel chief stated that we all may not get called down for the the feb class but they will need to hired everyone who's eligible within 6-8months due to people leaving. Other than that, no clue exactly.

On the side note: Does anyone have an idea what TFR's new hire academy entails and how long it is before assigned a station? From what I guess it's mostly an orientation into their SOP's and essential training. My friends from up north are under the opinion that it would be similar to the original Minimum Standards and a lot of PT & running. I'm wondering if I should step up my distance running in addition to my working out...
    I have a couple of friends that have been hired on in past year and they said its 4 weeks. You do some running but its most sop's and essential training. Learning TFR ways. But thats what i heard. If you here anything let me know. thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rws05c View Post
    I have a couple of friends that have been hired on in past year and they said its 4 weeks. You do some running but its most sop's and essential training. Learning TFR ways. But thats what i heard. If you here anything let me know. thanks
    ^ ditto. I've heard the same. 4 weeks of training/drilling, PT, paperwork, EVOC, etc... Get assigned your station after graduation. Work there for about a month then I think they can "jerry" you out to other stations after that. I also took the poly back in October and passed, but I haven't heard anything since. At this point I hope I can finish my medic within that 6-8 months that would be great. Keep us posted if you hear anything fella's.

Forum Member

just wondering, how much advance notice does Tampa give you till when they start their academy? Some of you guys know I currently live a few hours away on the other side of the state and would like to give 2weeks notice to my current job AND find a new place in Tampa AND move in...

Forum Member

Had to call up TFR for something else but spoke to Sharon and asked her how we stand/when physical would be. She said earliest they might call us next week but they've been delayed (for unknown reason, I suspect budgetary again...) so hurry up and wait guys! lol

Forum Member

hey sulu read your private messages man lol

Forum Member

Word is, the next class will be going in March.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 First ... 567891011 ... Last

Thread Information