Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default City Of Tampa Fire

Can anyone give me a run down of their physical agility test? I tried looking everywhere, and could not find any info on what they use.

Also, just alittle run down about the department would be great. Busiest houses, staffing/manning of apparatus, salaries, Operating procedures at fires etc. Just general things would be great,thanks guys!

Forum Member

VES,

I a recently had an opportunity to test with them and I turned them down because I found my home at Osceola. I will say that from information I got from some guys that tested there, it consists of a basic combat challenge with aerial climbing, picking up many hose rolls and moving them, charged line advance and some other things I cannot recall. Salaries, that is something that is on the HR website. They are in the low to mid 40's starting for a medic last time I checked.

As far as information on the dept. and SOG's, if it were me, I would go visit a few firehouses and show your face during business hours, generally 8:30am-4pm. Ask many questions... I find visiting a dept to be very informative. Plus, you never know, you may have one of those guys you visited on your interview panel and they look at that as a positive, the very one that might land you the job over the person who didn't stop by and ask questions.

Anyhow, good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Firemedic...when you say you turned them down, do you mean you got offered a job but didn't take it? Or just got hired before you completed the process? I want to get into a bigger city than the department I'm at now, and tampa seems to be a good directions for me. Thanks man

Forum Member

No I was not offered a job, I was offered the opportunity to test with the department. I was hired in December where I am now and I already knew a lot of history about where im at. So then I looked at the fact of I would rather have the Florida Retirement System where I don't pay into it. Plus, sometimes there are life changing things that happen that force you to move. So if I were to have to move in the State, I could transfer my pension. City you cannot. I also have a dept. that is rapidly growing and room for advancement is growing very fast.

Anyhow, good luck to you...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    No I was not offered a job, I was offered the opportunity to test with the department. I was hired in December where I am now and I already knew a lot of history about where im at. So then I looked at the fact of I would rather have the Florida Retirement System where I don't pay into it. Plus, sometimes there are life changing things that happen that force you to move. So if I were to have to move in the State, I could transfer my pension. City you cannot. I also have a dept. that is rapidly growing and room for advancement is growing very fast.

Anyhow, good luck to you...
    Thanks firemedic...yea i hear nothing but good things about osceola, whens the next test?

Forum Member

They just interviewed for the next group that they will hire I believe in July and won't test again my guess is until next year.

Forum Member

Default Tampa PAT

I turned in an app and got a letter in the mail describing the PAT. Its too much to type exactlybut:

you got a dark maze, stack rolled hose, climb stairs in bunker gear w/ hose load, 150 ft charged 1"3/4 advanced 100 ft, place 24 ft ext ladder on wall hooks,

raise and position 24 ft ext ladder, climb a 30 ladder to fire escape. .. oh yeah almost missed raising equipment via rope up and down from the fourth floor.

At least it sounds like they use real stairs .. i like those much better ... they are sturdy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks to everyone....Anyone else? any tampa guys in here?

Forum Member

I've seen at least one tampa guy around. where do you work now?
    as far as I know, they have 4 man engines, busy units would be the ones in the city (as opposed to new tampa). station 4 in ybor for instance. I don't have a copy of their contract, but if you go to this site and select firefighter under tampa, it will list all the firefighters and their pay rates. find the lowest one and that should tell you what the starting pay is.
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...storyid=106181
    also, you only get paid as a medic if you are actually "functioning" as a medic. I could tell you lots of reasons I wouldn't go there, but each person has their own preferences. if you apply, you should get a letter detailing the process, including the physical ability test. I went and took the civil service exam, but didn't go to the PAT cause I really didn't want to work there. there was an error in a division problem on the civil service test (no correct answer in the multiple choice answers...nice). operating procedures at fires are pretty standard anymore...what exactly are you looking for? good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber FFPotenziano's Avatar

http://www2.tbo.com/static/news-spec...=ANNUAL_SALARY

This link should allow you too see the base pay for firefighters. You also need to add holiday pay, Spec. Assignment pay, EMT ($30) Incentive or Medic Incentive ($110) a check. The possibilities for additional pay such as Haz Mat is possible also. Paramedic is a promoted position and the pay is more. Your assigned to the rescue car and that's your primary assignment.

Forum Member

With Tampa Fire Rescue do you have to be a medic to work with Tampa. I know Hillsborough you have to be a medic I was wondering if Tampa was the same way.

Forum Member

http://www.tampagov.net/appl_personn...osting_id=1412

For continued employment with Tampa Fire Rescue, Florida Paramedic Certification is required within 3 years of employment. Failure to provide proof of and maintain active enrollment in a State of Florida approved Paramedic program within 24 months of employment will result in termination.

Forum Member

Do you have to be a resident of Tampa, I didn't see that you did from their web site.

Forum Member

no. I've always thought residency requirements were weird.

Forum Member

How good is it to work for Tampa? From the web site the pay seems pretty good and the benefits look good to.

Forum Member

I won't comment since I don't work there, but if you are ok with applying/possibly working there, I would definitely apply. once you get a job anywhere, you can look around and start finding the best dept for your situation and needs. hopefully it will be the first one you chose :)

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if tampa is actually planing to hire, or just running people through the process? I take the agility test in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone knew how many they are hiring and when? Thanks guys

MembersZone Subscriber FFPotenziano's Avatar

The DROP members are leaving next year. I believe the dept is looking to hire 36 by October 1 to fill the grant obligation.

Forum Member

did you guys accept the grant? last I heard it was on the mayor's desk and she was contemplating it due to the city having to fund those 36 positions incrementally over the next however many years.

Forum Member

After the panel and Chief's interview, if you recieve a call asking if you are still interested in employment with the City of Tampa Fire Dept. and them telling you that they're going to run a second background check. If the background check goes all well, does it mean you are hired?

Thread Information