Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default FDNY gives Ferarra ladder contract...

I heard a nasty, yet reliable rumor that FDNY gave Ferarra the ladder contract (I think about 30 trucks). Does anyone know anything about this?

Forum Member

If the contract has been awarded it would probably be public information. I know with my city, all information regarding bids and contracts is freely available online or once awarded, through a phone call or email to the purchasing office. I don't care enough to call New York City and make inquiries as to who's building their fire trucks, but perhaps you might give it a try if it matters that much.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMastr28 View Post
    I heard a nasty, yet reliable rumor that FDNY gave Ferarra the ladder contract (I think about 30 trucks). Does anyone know anything about this?
    That is nasty! Its plain stupid.

Why change when Seagrave has served them very well?

Bad rumor. FDNY currently has no bid process in effect for the purchase of aerial ladders.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Buff, I hope you're right but another "FWDbuff" tells me the opposite...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Bad rumor. FDNY currently has no bid process in effect for the purchase of aerial ladders.
    Interesting. That was THE rumor floating around at Harrisburg. Surprised it hasn't shown up here before now.

Forum Member

Well, this did go to bid and is process of getting awarded through D.C.A.S., which takes about 45-60 days. From what I heard it is a done deal, Ferrara will get the award.

Forum Member

This could but a big hurt on Seagrave in the comming years if it is fact.

I got my Fire Apparatus Purchasing Magic 8-Ball out of the closet and gave it a shake while I asked it about this rumor. Much to my surprise, it did say that there is a strong possibility that Ferrara will be awarded a contract for FDNY aerial ladders, but that it was not set in stone. Magic 8-Ball also told me some other information but said that I need to keep quiet until after the bid is awarded, which could very well be in the next few days.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Does Ferrara still use Smeal products for their aerials? Smeal, it would seem, has a very good reputation for reliability in the aerials business, so that perhaps may be a reason why FDNY went with Ferrara. If I recall, FDNY requires a "sole-source" rig, so Smeal does not qualify with their own rigs?

Quote Originally Posted by ZMastr28 View Post
    Yeah, that would be like someone starting a rumor saying that American LaFrance was coming back into the FDNY!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Yeah, that would be like someone starting a rumor saying that American LaFrance was coming back into the FDNY!!!

Maybe this begins to answer my previous post. We have not taken a real serious look a Ferrera yet. Does anyone know how they came into the running? It has been our belief that Seagrave has been at the forefront in FDNY.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Car1Vol View Post
    Maybe this begins to answer my previous post. We have not taken a real serious look a Ferrera yet. Does anyone know how they came into the running? It has been our belief that Seagrave has been at the forefront in FDNY.
    I don't know specifically as far as the ladder trucks go, but there's been some Ferrara apparatus in the FDNY fleet since around 2001. I believe the first was an FDNY spec engine donated by them after 9/11, which has since been donated back to New Orleans following the Katrina disaster. They've also built the current Hazmat 1, I believe all of the satellite units and I think a few more "support" units.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    Does Ferrara still use Smeal products for their aerials? Smeal, it would seem, has a very good reputation for reliability in the aerials business, so that perhaps may be a reason why FDNY went with Ferrara. If I recall, FDNY requires a "sole-source" rig, so Smeal does not qualify with their own rigs?
    So how would Ferrara qualify?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    So how would Ferrara qualify?
    Ferrara manufactures their own custom chassis, which I guess is enough to satisfy the FDNY "sole-source" requirment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    Ferrara manufactures their own custom chassis, which I guess is enough to satisfy the FDNY "sole-source" requirment.
    But they don't manufacture the ladder ~ Smeal does it for them. For most people, this does not satisfy that requirement.

if Ferrara gets the contract, how will fdny go about replacing aerialscopes? i know some places like pierce and seagrave have the remount program

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Guess it's up to how the purchaser wants to interpret what "sole source" is.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Post Gsa!

The FDNY purchased a heavy rescue from Pierce two years ago, they may go with Ferrara with there 100" sticks. The only problem I see would be the future repairs & 5 year warranty work from a dealer somewere in New York or Jersey ?

MembersZone Subscriber

There are also a few Ferarra high pressure engines running around the city.

SMT

Thread Information