MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 San Antonio, Texas Fire Exam

Below is information for the 2009 San Antonio, Texas Fire Exam. Good luck !!

QUALIFICATIONS (THE FOLLOWING INCLUDES THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR TAKING THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION. HOWEVER, APPLICANTS MUST PASS OTHER REQUIREMENTS FOR ELIGIBILITY TO BE HIRED):

Applicants must possess the following qualifications at the time of application for the position of Firefighter:

1. Applicants must be at least 19 years of age at the time of testing.

2. Applicants must not have reached 34 years at the time of testing.

3. Applicants must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate. The applicant's academic records must reflect a minimum overall grade point average of "C" or its numerical equivalent. In the event an applicant's high school grade point average is below this standard, or the applicant presents a G.E.D. certificate, the applicant must have attended an accredited college or university, completed at least twelve (12) semester hours, and maintained a minimum grade point average of a "C" or its numerical equivalent.

4. Applicants must be able to read, write, and speak in the English language.

5. Applicants must not have any of the disqualifying items listed below on his/her record:

Conviction of a felony or other crime involving moral turpitude.

Any discharge from the United States Armed Forces other than honorable.

Uncharacterized and Entry Level discharges may be accepted and will be assessed on an individual basis.

Two or more traffic violation convictions within the 12 months preceding the date of application

Conviction of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or its equivalent within the 24 months preceding the date of application.

Conviction of a Driving While Intoxicated, Driving Under the Influence of Drugs, or their equivalent within the 5 years preceding the date of application

APPLICATIONS: Applications for this examination will be accepted on the following dates during the listed hours at the listed location:

300 S. Callaghan Road @ Hwy 151

Date Hours

June 01, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 02, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 03, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 04, 2009 1:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m.

June 05, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 08, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 09, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 10, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 11, 2009 1:00 p. m. 7:00 p.m.

June 12, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 15, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 16, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 17, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 18, 2009 1:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m.

June 19, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 22, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 23, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 24, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

June 25, 2009 1:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m.

June 26, 2009 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Applications will be accepted by mail if you live 100 miles or more from San Antonio. Applicants residing within 100 miles must physically come in and submit an application. Mail-in applications from applicants living within 100 miles will be discarded without notice.

If you meet the "100 mile or more" criteria ( www.mapquest.com ), you may request an application packet beginning at 7:45 am (CST) on Monday, May 25, 2009 thru midnight (CST) Friday, June 12, 2009.

To receive an application packet you may call 210-207-8427 or email your request at the following website: www.sanantonio.gov/safd/recruit.asp

Mailed application submissions must be postmarked no earlier than June 01, 2009 with a return postmark and mailed no later than midnight June 26, 2009. If return envelope has two postmarks, the most recent postmark will take precedent. SAFD will not be held responsible for damaged, delayed or lost mail.

Mail applications to: SAN ANTONIO FIRE DEPT

Attn: District Chief Mark Black

215 S. San Saba, Suite 107

San Antonio, Texas 78207

NO FAXED APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED

YOU CANNOT DOWNLOAD APPLICATIONS FROM THE CITY WEBSITE

TIME/PLACE OF EXAMINATION

DATE: August 14, 2009

TIME: 3:00 p.m.

PLACE: Exhibit Hall "D"

Convention Center

200 E. Market (Market/Bowie)

**Please line up outside the Entrance Doors of Exhibit Hall D towards Durango St.**

(NO BOOKS, BACKPACKS, STUDY-GUIDES OR FOOD AT TEST SITE)

Applicants who arrive after 3:00 p.m. may not be permitted to test.

IDENTICAL GRADES: Whenever two or more competitors for a beginning position in either the Police Department or the Fire Department attain the same passing grade, these applicants shall be ranked according to the lot they draw, with the lowest lot being ranked first.

VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: Applicants who have served on active duty for a minimum of 180 consecutive days in the United States Armed Forces, received an honorable discharge, and scored seventy-percent (70%) or higher on the written entrance examination receive an additional five (5) points. These five (5) points are added to the applicant's written examination score and used to determine his/her placement on the eligibility list.

To be considered for receiving the five (5) Veteran's Preference Points, you must submit an original or certified true and exact copy of your DD214 indicating character and length of honorable service at the time of application. Only legible and unaltered DD 214 copies Service #2, Member #4, State Director of Veterans Affairs #6, Service #7, and Service #8 are accepted for this purpose. There will be no exceptions or extensions beyond the date of application. If you mailed in your application, mailed applications and copies of DD 214 (if applicable) must have been mailed together in the same envelope and postmarked no earlier than June 01, 2009 with a return postmark and mailed no later than June 26, 2009.

Exam prep seminar information for the 2009 San Antonio fire exam can be found at the link below.

http://www.fireprep.com/2009_san_ant...fighter_e.html

Good luck !!!

Forum Member

i emailed them last Wednesday asking for an application... have not received anything yet.

Forum Member

Try to call that number listed on the job announcment. I emailed also and called just to make sure, that was on the 26th and I just recieved my packet yesterday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackWoman View Post
    i emailed them last Wednesday asking for an application... have not received anything yet.
    I would definitely call. I tried to receive an application 2 years ago via e-mail and they said they had no record of my e-mail even though I forwarded the sent message. "Re-apply next year is what I was told." Better safe than sorry. Calling is always the best option in San Antone..............................
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

will definitely call tomorrow or Tuesday, thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

To receive an application packet you may call 210-207-8427 or email your request at the following website: www.sanantonio.gov/safd/recruit.asp

Mailed application submissions must be postmarked no earlier than June 01, 2009 with a return postmark and mailed no later than midnight June 26, 2009. If return envelope has two postmarks, the most recent postmark will take precedent. SAFD will not be held responsible for damaged, delayed or lost mail.

Forum Member

FYI... I called today to get an app mailed to me and the voicemail box where you are supposed to leave your address was full. Finally got someone on the phone and he said no one was there that could help me so he suggested emailing them. I emailed them but will try to followup tomorrow with a call!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly, following up your e-mail if you had to e-mail is crucial. I didn't, and was out the hiring process for 1 year. I did take their test one year and the key to success is the memory section if they still do that. I had studied memory sections from exam prep books I purchased but this memory section was a whole new beast. Memory, Memory, Memory........... then More Memory and even more Memory. The rest is straightforward, a breeze. Maybe it was just me. I memorize things a little bit differently, that requires some extra time. Practice makes perfect.
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Just fyi, I emailed my request on 6/7 and had my application packet in hand on 6/11.

Thread Information