Forum Member

Default AF FireFighter question

Hey guys im currently looking at joining the AF to become a FF. Do FF ever get to ride on the jets? Or they usually stay on the ground? I know they jump on the larger planes for missions but I dont know about the jets as a firepilot.

Forum Member

You'll get to ride on a jet everytime you're deployed, PCS or go TDY.

Other than that, no.

What's a "firepilot" anyway?

Forum Member

maybe like a pilot for the smokejumpers or something? or a pilot that is on fire? we usually don't jump on planes, we sit in the economy cabin, or drag dummies out of them. jumping on planes are dangerous and probably illegal.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Someone was telling me they usually sit FF right behind the pilot in case of a fire so I just wanted to clear that up. Because I was thinking the same thing, what were going to spray the jet with a hose or something haha.

How is the competition for firefighters in the AF? Is it pretty extreme? I mean I am a hard worker and im willing to do anything to get the job done but if I am competing against thousands will I be guarantee a job after my duty? Im also try to set up an appointment with a recruiter so I can ask him more questions.
    Oh yeah one more time, the physical requirements. Im at 5'9'' 224 right now.. I already lost 30 pounds to get in the best shape I been before I leave. Will this be an issue since im still on the up side on the scale or should I wait and continue to loose the fat and continue training. I been doing the usual weight lifting with the 10min mile that leads to 3 miles everyday non stop. Just trying to be ready as possible guys.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was a FF in the AF the only times I got on any military planes was for orientation of the plane. Never when it was in the air.

As for competition...do good on the ASVAB and make sure that you have a GUARANTEED slot in the fire department before you sign up to leave for basic. If you don't, you could end up with ANY job they want to give you.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Forum Member

yeah I dont know about guarantee job to be a FF because he kept telling me to become a medic first. Since FF slots are always full..

Forum Member

what do you mean "guaranteed a job after your duty"? do you mean getting a civ ff job after the military or just getting an airforce firefighter job? like nathan said, get 3e7x1 - firefighter on your contract before you sign it or leave for basic training. do what you can and make your recruiter work for you!

as fas as the weight deal... i came in in '03 and i was 5'11"... i had to be under 199 before they would let me ship off. not sure if the standards have changed. talk to your recruiter, they will have that type of information for you for sure.

Forum Member

No weight standard in the AF anymore. They measure your waste and give you points, then push-ups in two minutes, sit-ups in two minutes, 1.5 mile run. They add up all your points based on how well you did and that will determine when your next test will be. You can find out all about this on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by XFedFF View Post
    No weight standard in the AF anymore. They measure your waste and give you points, then push-ups in two minutes, sit-ups in two minutes, 1.5 mile run. They add up all your points based on how well you did and that will determine when your next test will be. You can find out all about this on the internet.
    You are right about PT score, but not about initial enlistment. You will need to meet height and weight standards before shipping off to basic. If you do not, they will measure your neck, chest, and waist, and fit it into an equation. I do not know the specifics, but if you are over buy a certain amount, they will not let you ship off to basic.

Just a quick note here. I was a medic from 2002-2008, running ambulances in some shape of form most of the time. I really did not get along with most DOD firefighters. Imagine an already alpha male dominated career field, and add the swagger that comes with rank and whatnot. Most of our calls on base were medical, and these FF's were downright dangerous (I am looking at you Beale AFB). The proficient ones get their EMT-B, some even getting their EMT-P (slower bases, like AF academy). Get the additional certs to give you a fighting chance to get a civilian job, or else you will be stuck pulling airbase duty as a DOD-civilian for the rest of your life.

In closing, get your 3-miler down to 8:30's, do some rucksack marches (no ruck runs), and be as fit as you can. Fitness is that last thing that you should have to worry about during any training, and it is among the poorest excuses for failing a program. Oh yeah, and get a guaranteed job code before shipping, or else you will end up as security forces or services.

Do not forget to check out the other services as well, and Guard options.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Redfoot,
    I gota say I think you may be off the mark with your comments in your second paragraph. I would say that DOD FF are a male dominated career filed, as is most ff, but alpha male probably not. Second I am not sure what rank you are referring to. You may be interested to know that most if not all of the medical AFSCs have a higher percentage rate then 3e7x1. Last I really don't get "swagger" I think you may be confused with confidence. I would also like to add that I could fill books with dangerous things AF medics have done or why at one command medical direction was given to the senior fire officer on scene, yes even over a Doc, per Med Group CC. I think you may have to admit that most AF medics work in a clinical environment and are not up to speed with Emergency Medical Treatment. I would say that I have had the pleasure of seeing outstanding AF medics but most of those where IMTs (Independent Medical Technicians) or had served as an IMT and rotated back to clinic. I will close and say that working a hung gun or hot ordnance on an F-16 or climbing to the flight deck of a smoke filled C-5 is being stuck on an airfield for the rest of ones life. By the way why did you get out?

Thread Information